Need help deciding on neck 7 pickup [BKP preferred]

• Thread starter CloudAC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score
Hey guys, so my Miracle Man Bridge humbucker is on its way which will be going into my RGD2127z [which is also on its way! NGD soon] however I haven't decided on a neck pickup yet because im looking for a certain sound/style with this.

So I was listening to some AAL [love this band!] and Song of Solomon was playing and every time I hear the clean intro I just think ''Wow that is a badass clean tone"

So I have been wondering what pick up would give me that sort of pop with the strings that Tosin gets? Apart from getting an Axe fx ofcourse haha.. Can't afford that!
Obviously I can't get an EMG 808X... and a 707 is an active pick up which I dont want to route for my RGD at all.

IDEALLY I would like it to be a BKP so they can be matching pickups with the Miracle Man [both Black covers] So has anyone got any idea what BKP would give me something close to that very nice bassy pop sound you can hear in Song of Solomon? Not just in cleans but in distortion too, with the right tone dialled in :agree:

Also, the RGD is a basswood guitar.

Thankssss!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

geofreesun

Reaction score
aas? ...
lol, anyway your best bet is to let zimbloth or tim to asnwer your question
out of the bkps i tried, i liked both coldsweat and nailbomb for neck. to the tone you are after, a lot more will come from the piece of wood in your guitar, ur signal chain and playing.

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score
Oh shit :lol: my bad, been working all day not the sharpest of my days haha Anyway back to the topic, anyone else got experience with BKP's in the clean position?

maxoom

Scumbag of the Earth
Reaction score
He`s playing through the Axe fx how much of that sound do you think is pickup generated?
I paired my MM with a Liquifire and they look and sound very much like they belong together.

abstract

Reaction score
Painkiller or Ceramic-Aftermath. The ceramic neck BKPs are totally underrated and awesome. Both the aforementioned are full of midrange and pick-attack, bright and defined, lots of character. Articulate to the point where they're almost single-coil like. The Painkiller is hotter and probably more suited to keep up with the Miracle Man.

CloudAC

Chaz
Reaction score
Sounds like the Painkiller is for me! How do I get a ceramic? Im looking at their online shop and I aint seeing it... Also what does the Ceramic do?

abstract

Reaction score
Ceramic is just a different magnet type. Most neck-position BKPs are stock with Alnico magnets (most commonly Alnico V or "A5"). The Painkiller is the only BKP neck pup stock with a ceramic magnet. You don't need to specify anything.

You'll find ceramic magnets in bridge Miracle Man, Cold Sweat, Painkiller and Aftermath pups, though the Warpig and Nailbomb are available to order with ceramic magnets as well. That being said, you can get a different type of magnet in any BKP. Just ask Tim about it if you're unsure.

Alnico gives a warmer, smoother and less aggressive tone. Ceramic is more aggressive, punchy, tight and bright, though it doesn't always appeal to someone looking for a warm/clean starting point. IMO there are a great many ceramic pickups with excellent cleans. The cleans you describe are characteristic of a neck pickup like the Painkiller

')