Need help deciding the finish for this beastly guitar!

Katsuro

Shredder
Reaction score
I am currently collaborating with Matthew Brown over at Etherial guitars to make a beastly custom 8-string guitar with all the fixings -but there's one problem-
I don't know a thing about guitar finishes.​

The specs for this guitar are as follows:
8 strings
Etherial "Berhn Mor" head
Steingberger machine heads on strings 1-6 (E-E)
Std machine heads on strings 7-8 (HighG-HighB)
29'' Jarrah wood neck
Jarrah wood Sarah longfield signature inlays, blood red
Spotted gum wood neck, for that djenty tone.
Carbon-fiber skinned Jarrah wood fretboard, for that pitch-black look
Fanned frets (this picture doesn't show it)
Jarrah wood Etherial Artisans Lore series "Scartha" body, blood red trim.
Seymour duncan "8-String Blackout" pickups​

The tone I'm going for is a really djenty tech-death feel reminescent of "The Faceless" or "Psycroptic". For the wood alone, the projected tone is here in this demo: Gwenllian - Etherial Guitars/Nerve Studios by Simon Grove on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

And here's a photo of the initial concept:
Signature.png

I want the tone to remain pretty much the same, as I've heard some finishes can change the way the guitar sounds in minor ways. All I'm really looking for is a few options that don't make the guitar sound much different if at all, and make the guitar look generally better than it would now. As for the types of appearances, feel free to spitball, I don't even know what my options are.​

Thanks for all help in advance :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
i do believe that is one of the craziest shape ive ever seen...

...i think just a simple matte black would suit the look.

drenz

Reaction score
the finish will barely do anything for your tone. it's more about wood and pickups.

you have one problem with the design? random holes in the body? making the bottom horn more capable of impaling you than playing comfortably while sitting down? knocking into your bass player live will most likely hospitalize him? these aren't problems? lol

Katsuro

Shredder
Reaction score
the finish will barely do anything for your tone. it's more about wood and pickups.

you have one problem with the design? random holes in the body? making the bottom horn more capable of impaling you than playing comfortably while sitting down? knocking into your bass player live will most likely hospitalize him? these aren't problems? lol

The more wounds received on stage - The more metal the concert will be :hbang:

lol, I actually did have to ask about how it would feel while sitting down and playing it, Matt assured me if you rested your leg below the tip of the spike, the other side would rest against your leg and you shouldn't stab yourself while playing, but you do have to hold the guitar a little higher than you would a normal one to play comfortably.
The holes are all for show, I personally like it, but I chose it mainly for the length of the body - most of the 8 strings I've seen seem to have oddly disproportionate heads or short little bodies making it look "fat". The length of this body and the custom-made head make it look insane for an 8-string IMO :shred:
^ on the plus side, he shouldnt have any problems with neck dive...
That's another reason I chose the body, I hate having to compensate for the weight of the neck/head while playing.

Vicious7

Vegetables
Reaction score
That's a really scary shape, but it's really really sweet.

If you're looking for a tech death/djent vibe, matte black is good, as is red and black, maybe some burst options with red on the inside and black outside, though also look at what your favorite color is and go with that for starters!

Pink may be difficult......though with those points on the axe, I doubt anyone will disagree.

Katsuro

Shredder
Reaction score
Pink may be difficult......though with those points on the axe, I doubt anyone will disagree.
Funny you should say that, on his website he actually has a stock "Scartha" you can buy that has full hot pink trim - inlays and all. Hell, you could even custom order a guitar with it, I think he has one like that on his facebook.

After some collaboration with Matt and reading up on various forms of finish, I came up with a result: Black satin!

Here's a more recent concept photo with enhanced colors on the inlay just so you can see how beautiful it is :D The actual inlay will match the body trim and be the same blood red:
UpdatedSignature-1.jpg

Pretty insane, if I do say so myself :hbang:

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
I think the reddish-black in the pic would make an awesome stain!
Finished with tung oil I think it would be a win - keeps the matte wood feel but with the dark killer colors.

TankJon666

Reaction score
Thats a mental guitar! I'd be worried about snapping bits off though lol

I reckon the black and red suit the guitar perfectly. I'd love to see this when its done ..that'll require some pretty nifty carving skills :D

TankJon666

Reaction score
')