Need Help Deciding:

• Thread starter gunshow86de
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• EBMM JP-7

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • RG2228

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I don't care, I want your Intrepid!

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
So I sold my RG1527, bought a Framus Diablo Pro and quickly realized how much I missed my extra string.

So now the Framus is for sale, and I am looking for another extended range instrument. I have narrowed it down to two choices; a EBMM JP-7 or an Ibanez RG2228. I know these are very different guitars, but I feel that both would make me equally happy. I would be getting a non-Piezo JP-7 so they would be almost the same price.

Also, if I were to get the 2228, I would probably pre-sell(?) my Intrepid that is supposed to come at the end of February (maybe I shouldn't put this in here, it will skew the poll).

Anyway let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I had an RG2228 and absolutely loved it. It is imo the ultimate guitar for metal, no bones about it. JPs are quality guitars too, but I'd probably go with the 8 string. Incase you are wondering, I sold my RG2228 to pay for a dental bill, not because there was anything wrong with it. I still miss it :(

On second thoughts, they are very different guitars. I would feel bad to offer a biased opinion, you really should try them both out if possible. EBMM JPs are supposed to be absolutely killer. Do you need the range of an 8 string, or would you rather go for something more limited but (from what I hear) super comfortable? Not that the 8string wasnt comfortable for me, but some people think its "too much". You gotta try them!

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I see the voting is pretty close. I may be leaning toward the RG.

The only thing I am iffy on is the EMG pickups. I think I would like them alot better with an 18v mod. Has anyone done the 18v mod on their 2228?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
EBMM hands down. The neck was like butter in my hands and it feels great.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'd rather the RG2228 w/ a pickup swap, just because it's a cheaper. JP7s are really cool though, I loved my old one.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I'd rather the RG2228 w/ a pickup swap, just because it's a cheaper. JP7s are really cool though, I loved my old one.

Just to clarify, I would be getting the non-Piezo JP-7, so price is a non-issue, they will both cost about the same.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I would be getting the non-Piezo JP-7, so price is a non-issue, they will both cost about the same.

In theory I'd probably choose neither since I find that's a lot of money for a basswood/rosewood/bolt-on. I own the RG8, but it's really because there's no other option for an 8 that plays so great. So I guess what I'm saying is, I'd choose the RG8 since the fact it's an 8-string makes it special whereas a non-piezo basswood JP7 (while a terrific player) does not give me anything I couldn't get at 1/2 the cost.

You get what I'm saying? You could get a comparable 7 wiith arguably better specs from Carvin for half that cost, whereas the RG8 is pretty much the best production 8 IMO.

I do find the EMG 808s super bland though, I prefer the DiMarzios that come loaded in the JP7, but either way I would swap them for BKPs because that's how I roll :)

ALL THAT SAID, if both were 7s I'd choose the JP7 easily. Cooler finish, better pickups, better hardware and attention to detail as well.

Gregk

Reaction score
I played a Jp6 the other day, and it was honestly the best guitar I've ever played.
The neck was to die for. I've heard that the necks on the sevens are even better.

The weird thing was that the basswood wasn't nearly as light as other basswood guitars. And no, it wasn't the BFR.

The fretwork was outstanding and the bolt on didn't bother me at all. It was a truly awesome instrument. So my vote goes to the Jp7. :yesway:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I actually like basswood, so this isn't a concern for me. I found a JP-7 that is pre-d-sonic. If I get that I may actually buy a Bareknuckle for the bridge. A JP-7 with a BKP sounds pretty sweet to me!

sworth9411

Banned
Reaction score
JP7 Is great but as Nick said, for the money you can get lot's of better guitars... Rg8 is ridiculously sweet but if I were you, I would hold off everything till after Namm, because I have a funny feeling there are going to be some amazing new models out by lot's of companies that might fit your needs better that both of the above.....

Just my 2cents...

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
^+1

NAMM is right around the corner and Ibanez has 2 new 7 string surprises in store. So I'd chill for a bit.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That may be true but the stuff they debut at NAMM wont likely be available until April or so, that's usually how it works. Plus, msot brands will be seeing price hikes in '09, so if there's something you identify as wanting now, it may not be a bad time.

Filip S

D Phrygian #3
Reaction score
i haven't played either of them but here is my thought.
you're getting the non-piezzo JP7, so im guessing you won't bother with the clean tones on it.
if you dont play clean, the RG has only 3 pup selector switch positions (don't know how else to describe it) which means you will never play single coil on it, which is good for metal but if you ever decide to go clean you will need another guitar. (that's just my opinion) do you have a guitar with awesome clean tones? if not, go with jp7. i mean come on, if you listen to a song like the glass prison you'll see that the jp7 PWNS ASS. and if you ever need the range, you can always tune it down a step or two.
if you want to go more in the direction of messshhhuuugggaa (sp?), and never play clean OR if you HAVE a guitar with amazing clean tones, go for 2228.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
i haven't played either of them but here is my thought.
you're getting the non-piezzo JP7, so im guessing you won't bother with the clean tones on it.
if you dont play clean, the RG has only 3 pup selector switch positions (don't know how else to describe it) which means you will never play single coil on it, which is good for metal but if you ever decide to go clean you will need another guitar. (that's just my opinion) do you have a guitar with awesome clean tones? if not, go with jp7. i mean come on, if you listen to a song like the glass prison you'll see that the jp7 PWNS ASS. and if you ever need the range, you can always tune it down a step or two.
if you want to go more in the direction of messshhhuuugggaa (sp?), and never play clean OR if you HAVE a guitar with amazing clean tones, go for 2228.

I actually play a lot of clean tones. I am leaning towards the JP-7 cause I have played one before and loved it. It took me a while, but I weened myself off of active humbuckers. I feel like with actives I miss the subtleties you can get from adjusting your tone and volume knobs. Also, I found a used JP-7 from a EBMM forum member for a steal.:shred:

I am trying to find an RG2228 to play around Houston. The Guitar Center by my house had one in stock and on clearance for like 4 months. Now that I am interested in one they, of course, sold it.

^+1

NAMM is right around the corner and Ibanez has 2 new 7 string surprises in store. So I'd chill for a bit.

I would love to wait for NAMM, but the new stuff won't be available for a couple of months and my Framus is already on eBay. It is my only electric and I don't think I could live that long without one.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
I say JP7 if you aren't 100% about the 8 string. I will also say that the piezos are amazing in the Petrucci, and really make that guitar shine. I loved mine when I had it.

I would say spend the extra money for the piezos, and go for the JP7. :2c:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I would like for you to sell me the Intrepid you have coming I am going to say JP7. IMO there is no way you wont like the JP7. The Ibby is the same price and there is a chance you will not like the 8 string. I think spending that kind of coin is a much safer bet with a JP7. I would much rather spend $600 to try my hand at an 8 than $1600. Plus with the Intrepids coming in limited preordered runs if you try the Intrepid and don't like it you can sell it for every penny you paid for it.

tbird11

Reaction score
I'd go the Rg2228, i recently aquired one and love it (so i'm definately biased) but it plays like a dream and i'd recommend it to anyone......

')