Need help finding my first 7!

• Thread starter MSalonen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MSalonen

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here (not to turn this into an introduction thread), and I was wondering if I could draw upon your collective wealth of knowledge on sevenstring guitars to help me choose my first.

I've been playing on 6's for my entire musical history, but have become increasingly more interested in 7's over the last 2-3 years since discovering bands like Nevermore, Dream Theater, Chimp Spanner, etc.

In terms of what I'd be playing with it, I'm not much for the whole 'djent' trend, not that I don't find certain artists amazing within it, like Periphery of course, but it just isn't what I find myself most into in my own playing. My music, and the music of my band, has always been closer to progressive metal with more than its fair share of melody and hook. Or at least, that's what I strive for.

The problem for me in finding a 7 is that I'm really a V-shape guy rather than superstrat. And any 7-string V's I've found just haven't done it for me. My favorite guitar brand has been ESP, and even they don't have that many options (not a fan of the Viper, the new Nergal is ok, and the Horizon/SC falls into that Superstrat problem).

Right now, the ones interesting me the most are the new black satin Loomis, and possibly a JPX7 (if I can afford it). Because despite their shape, I still really like them. I don't like rosewood, and the maple of the Loomis is the next best thing to ebony (which the JPX has).

The guitars I use right now are an ESP SV and LTD EC VB. Both are great, but I'm an all-or-nothing kind of person, and if I am going to convert to 7's, it's going to be all the way.

Any and all help is very much appreciated, thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MSalonen

Reaction score
I heard they were making a 7-string version, but I could be misinformed. If they don't, then that narrows down my choices. Because I really like that modified shape it has over the other JP's.

And I forgot to mention that Scar Symmetry are another driving influence in terms of how they use 7's, as well as their tone.

EDIT: Oh, and of course, Devin Townsend. Especially his solo work.

Sand

Reaction score
If your into V-shaped guitars and your looking for an ebony fretboard theres the BC Rich JR-V 7. I recommend this personally because I own it. Its my only 7 So i can't compare to other 7's but it beats all my 6's.

haffner1

Reaction score
If your into V-shaped guitars and your looking for an ebony fretboard theres the BC Rich JR-V 7. I recommend this personally because I own it. Its my only 7 So i can't compare to other 7's but it beats all my 6's.

:yesway: this.
$600, OFR7, ebony board and current BC Rich quality standards =win. Best deal on a 7 string right now IMO.

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
Agile Hornet 7.
Rick ... i like how you really like agile! I advise agile alot now that i own one..... Depends on the persons needs... but yeah i advise Agile everytime it seems befitting!:lol:

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
I've had a boner for a Hornet 725 for a WHILE now, I'd recommend that based on what I've seen since I haven't physically played a V 7 before :lol: one can dream.

MSalonen

Reaction score
I totally forgot that Agile made a 7string V, I'll have to go check that out again.

One other question I had though is, what are some of the main differences (in terms of playability, and tone) between Ibanez and Schecter?

Obviously, the best way to tell would be to just play a few of each myself, but I actually called all the music shops around me and absolutely none of them have any 7s, at all. I mean, they can order them, but only if that means Im buying it.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
there's the peavey devin townsend sig as well

edit:

there's the BC rich JR V7 as well, which looks pretty nice and to be of good build quality, if you can find one of the prototypes on DCGL or something

i mean imo choosing a guitar is a highly variable thing, especially since we have no idea on what sort of bridge, pickups, and tonewoods you want on your guitars. EMG's or no? floating or hardtail? 24 frets a must or no? basswood an issue (lol. interestingly enough i find most V's don't seem to be made of basswood, which if you're familiar with it's tonality, i think makes great sense)

also there's a new ESP 7 which seems reaaaally nice, if you just want a hardtail neckthrough alder guitar with emg's, and the new jackson slat 3-7 (which imo looks sick in green swirl), if you want a trem, though both of these guitars are superstrats. personally i'd go with either above a loomis for cosmetic reasons, though idk i'm just a little biased against it for cosmetic reasons.

you can also look around and see if you can find one of those Jackson Stars 7 strings around those are supposed to be amazing build quality for the price maybe used off Ikebe or another japanese store.

fwiw the Jr V 7 i think is mahogany, neck-through, OFR with EMG's, ebony FB, and a V

also i should mention, there's always the ESP forest/F series if you want something a little bit more out there than a usual superstrat, and from ESP, and neckthrough/hardtail/emged

ESP_F-STD_S7_BKS.jpg

jrv7tp.jpg

SjPedro

Reaction score
Even though I don't own an Agile I was going to suggest that since you are trying to avoid the super strat type model guitar.

I have a modified J&D (DiMarzio PU's on it) but it's the exact type of model you are trying to avoid so...I say go for the Agile or maybe BC Rich. They have some sick guitar formats \m/

MSalonen

Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I forgot about Jackson Stars, which I'll totally look into for options in the realm of 7s.

As for the peavey Townsend sig and the BCRich, there's just something I don't like about them, and I really wish I could because in terms of specs, they're just about perfect for what I want. Same with that ESP F7. I wish I didn't hate the F body shape.

With my guitars, I prefer alder/maple for the body and neck, but I'm ok with mahogany if other (and more important) factors are present. Like a maple or ebony fretboard. 24 frets is also my preference, but not necessary. Same with a FR trem bridge vs. anything else, like a Tone Pros.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you just not like the way they look? Go try that Peavey 7. Don't judge a guitar until you've played it. I don't like the looks of the Forest series by ESP, but my roomies F-50 plays like a dream, it just needs a pickup swap.

EliNoPants

Reaction score
there's also the BCR Stealth 7 Rizzo sig, it's maple/mahogany neck thru, OFR, 24 frets, and i think an ebony board

and the Schecter V-7/V-7FR models, but they're mahogany/mahogany set neck with a rosewood board

')