Need help identifying an ibanez rgd

• Thread starter tenchu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu

Reaction score
Hi, first time posting. so I recently picked up an rgd in a lot of seven string guitars, the guy had it listed as a prestige rgd, which im positive it isnt.

anyways the reason i need help identifying it is cause it doesnt seem to match any 7 string rgd descriptions i can find.

I don't want to post pics but will do if need be, anyways, its flat black, 26.5" scale neck, dot inlay, Gibraltar bridge, it has seymour duncans that i cant identify either but i havent taken a look underneath yet, anyways the part that throwing me off is that it has a volume AND tone knob and three way switch near the bottom horn, and the volume has a push pull. that as far as i know doesnt match any description i can find.

the model number is rgd7421 and the serial is i120116535, couldnt find the serial on the guitar dater project, and the model number doesnt match what this guitar is like

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Gotta get pics. You can add knobs and switches easily. Definitely no Prestige, that's for sure. Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't that serial be a 2012 Ibanez?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, it's definitely not a prestige if it's a an RGD7421. As far as the description, the only thing that doesn't line up is the presence of tone knob, but that's exactly the kind of thing someone could have just modded on. The serial number is also consistent with a 10 digit Indonesian serial number, indicating it was manufactured at Cort's Indonesia plant. That guitar would have been manufactured in January of 2012, which is consistent with when they were made.

The only thing that's off is that it's clearly not a Prestige model. If the price is right though, it's immaterial.

However, there's only so much that can be divined without pics. I doubt someone would go to the trouble of counterfeiting an Indonesian Ibby, but I guess stranger things have happened.

tenchu

Reaction score
thanks for the help everyone. yeah I'm positive it was just a rgd7421 listed wrong, I'll open up the control cavity in a bit and im sure that it'll be obvious there was additional drilling for the tone knob. now could i have just asked the guy I bought it from, nope cause he inherited it from a member of his band after his passing, but yeah seams pretty obvious that it was a mod after putting in the pickups. did come to me cause i usually try to get rid of stuff when i change stuff on my guitars haha.

')