Need help on a shape problem

• Thread starter cronux
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cronux

Reaction score
So... i have a stupid question (again :D)...

I want to do a custom 7 string with an ML body. The thing that's making me uneasy about it is that regular ML shaped guitars are kinda big (have one at home) and i saw/read some reviews on the Dean Razorback ML witch stated that the guitar was big like a house.

Now the question is this:

Could I make a six string body and then make the pickup hole and the neck joint wider for a 7 string neck or do I have to make the guitar "bigger" for the needs of a 7 string neck?

tnx in advance! :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
I don't see why not. You can make your body whatever size you want. Just keep balance in mind. There is a little added weight with an extra tuner and neck mass that comes with a 7 string. So, if you're going for a smaller body, maybe choose a heavier wood to keep that balance.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see why not. You can make your body whatever size you want. Just keep balance in mind. There is a little added weight with an extra tuner and neck mass that comes with a 7 string. So, if you're going for a smaller body, maybe choose a heavier wood to keep that balance.

:agreed:

Not to mention most 7-string guitar bodies are just about identical in size/specs to their six string couterparts, namely RGs.

Murmel

Reaction score
Matt Heafy did have a couple of custom ML 7s when he was with Dean. Now Matt isn't a small dude, but he isn't overly large either. I think this size looks just about perfect, not sure if it's the standard ML shape, it looks a bit bigger to me. Rumours also go about saying that guitar is a baritone, not so sure about that but it's possible.

Matt+Heafy.jpg

Edit: I just realised this has nothing to with what you asked, I apologize :lol:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
If Steinberger's can look like tiny brooms there is no reason that you can't have a slightly smaller ML shape, especially in the headstock region. That thing is massive.

cronux

Reaction score
tnx for the tips, i'll try to do a regular body just because of the size of it.
and i heard that a mahogany/apple combo is good... know it sounds weird, but i'll see :D

next up -> ibanez coconut RG :D

demonx

🇦🇺
Vendor
Reaction score
I use the same body size for 6 or 7 string templates.

If you want to get into body shape design, I reccomend using/learning autocad

When I designed my superstrat shape, I wanted it smaller and pointier than the guitars I owned (BC Richs and Jacksons) so I designed my own shape using autocad, set up a neck tempate on autocad and just started playing with curves and altering them till I was happy with what I had. Job done.

The bonus of using autocad for your body design, is when you're finished, you just take the file to a laser cutters and get a template cut!

demonx

🇦🇺
Vendor
Reaction score
Bear in mind though with a 7 string - the cut aways will line up to the neck at a different spot and angle

flo

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that it can be very hard to find a case/ gigbag for it. Just saying.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that it can be very hard to find a case/ gigbag for it. Just saying.
Hell, if you're making your own guitar there isn't much stopping you from making your own case. :lol

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
Just keep balance in mind. There is a little added weight with an extra tuner and neck mass that comes with a 7 string. So, if you're going for a smaller body, maybe choose a heavier wood to keep that balance.

HUGE +1!

I generally use the golden ratio to proportion guitars to their scale length/neck width. Do a Google search for the term and see what you can find. You'll have to play with it a bit to get your proportions right.

There isn't a really straight-forward way of using the golden ratio (you can't just take the neck width and transform it a couple of times with the GR and get the exact body width every time) and you don't always want to stay exactly within the measurements you get from the golden ratio, but it does help and it definitely keeps the proportions in a cosmetically-appealing range.

However, just using the golden ratio will not absolutely ensure that the instrument will balance. You'll have to keep in mind where the fulcrum of the guitar will be, how heavy the tuners are (find really light ones to make your life easier), how heavy the body will be, how far out towards the end of the body the bridge and pickups will be, etc.

CD1221

Reaction score
My 7 has a *slightly* smaller body than my 6, but it balancess beautifully, even with a neck that makes a baseball bat feel small. You can get away with a lot by appropriate placement of the strap buttons.

The ML shape is pretty large, I wouldn't think you would need to make it any bigger. Make the headstock slightly thinner if possible and choose the lightest tuners you can afford to minimise the extra mass from the longer scale length and the extra tuner/headstock width/neck dimensions.

cronux

Reaction score
yeah, the balance is one of my biggest problems.
looking to hook up with a decent wood option and go work on it

')