Need help optimizing E530 Velocity 300 rig

• Thread starter Konstantine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hera666

Reaction score
well I have the e530 plus the velocity 100 and I had the same problem. to solve it I use a eq pedal plus the green rhino, that one has bass boost plus tone control and other things is a great pedal. also you'll get more definition on the 7 string

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konstantine

Reaction score
New development. I put a set of d'addario 10-59 sevenstring set on the jackson today to replace the thin factory strings and now it sounds muddier than the emg equipped guitar with the 9-61 set so it looks like string gauge was the factor after all in making the two guitars sound different. Mids still don't sound right through the setup either with contour engaged (makes it muddy) with lo mids cut back or with it disengaged (kills volume and cuts out too much mids) with low mid knob cranked so it just must be how the e530 preamp interacts with the velocity300 which is completely disappointing, it just does not get that aggressive roaring mid sound like the tsl100 had. The built-in poweramp in the e530 actually sounds better and give me the roaring defined mids I'm wanting but lacks bass and volume. I was attempting to make a rack rig that would sound just as good at bedroom volume as it does at high volume for when I jam with my drummer.

I have to say that I do get the tone I want when the volume gets cranked on the preamp and the v300, all the sudden the muddiness subsides and it starts roaring when the volume knobs get turned up past noon on both units. Perhaps running the v300 in bridged mode is making an impact on my tone versus stereo mode? It sounds great when its cranked balls out but I don't want to give myself hearing damage. I'm going to experiment with that as a last ditch effort to get this thing sounding right. I'm also going to try placing the rig inside my closet like I did with the loud ass TSL100 I had so I can crank it louder without blasting my eardrums.

Leveebreaks

Dooooooooom
Reaction score
I have an e530 that I occasionally run through my Bugera 333xl power amp section. I too also used to have a solid state poweramp. ( Marshall 50/50 ) I hated the tone through the solid state, and I'm really not that mad on it through my Bugera amp either anymore. It's just so...dry and limp with both passives and EMGs, 6 and 7 seven strings. I guess I'm just more used to dialing in my Bugera now. However I did have the same problem of volume levels etc, and I just bought a TC G Major cheap. You can run the amp as hard as you want and just dial back the output volume on the G Major to however quiet you need it. It doesn't degrade the tone much and should be great for what you need it for.

Konstantine

Reaction score
I decided to return the Velocity 300 for a refund since today is the final day before the return period expires. For the kind of money it cost it just was not getting me the tone I expected. Looks like ill be shopping for a 2nd hand tube poweramp now.

lidserter

Reaction score
I think I have it hooked up right, the e530 instrument output going into the channel 1 mono input on the velocity with the the velocity bridged at 8ohms running into an 8ohm 2x12 mono cab. Yeah the built in one is good but it does not have enough juice for the low tunings, completely lacking any bass at all even with the bass knob dimed so the low b string and A tunings cannot even be heard when playing string skipping riffs etc.

Too bad! I'm late. I use both E 530 and Velocity 300. Definetly killer. You were wrong all the time. Instrument Output is intended to feed FX processors or other pedals/preamps. LINE OUTs are intended to connect them a power amp.. When I read you have used your V300 volume past noon I just can't believe it, for home use I barely pass 9 o'clock, I use mine with a 2x12 cab loaded with Vintage 30 too (closed back). For rehearsals I use it 10-11 and for ear-destroying set it at noon.

As you I use reactance between 2-3 and definition something like 13 o'clock. Preamp lead volume at max, and rear line level at noon.

Also cabinet impedance impacts on the overall volume, as the power amp deliver 300 W but if you connect an 8ohm load, 16ohm load will give you 170 W, which is 50W past away the 120W that 2 vintage 30 can handle.

Hope this help other users before they sell/return their Velocity 300.

lidserter

Reaction score
You were connecting a high ohm guitar level signal into a line level input. This results on high frequecies loss and muddy tone, when properly connected the E530 doesn't do anything but shine trough the V300.

WarMachine

Reaction score
I would try out some darker voiced speakers before anything else dude. Believe it or not, speakers make just a big a difference as a new amp. Most people dont truly realize how much it can impact tone. I was guilty of it myself lol, one day i just said to hell with it, im trying out something different and it has been the best thing that has happened to my tone. Hope it helps dude and good luck!:wavey:

grimorian

Reaction score
This is how I run my rig... Bridged 300 watts, definition all the way up, reactance slightly less that all the way. Gain Lo/Hi button on the Engl on Hi. I run it through a Vader 4x12 and it sounds pretty mean. I also use a Decimator G-String to cut out any feedback. Through anything other than the Vader it sounds a bit fuzzy at these settings, so I usually change settings when going through other cabs.

WP_000876_zps58ec11d8.jpg

')