Need help picking a small bedroom amp

• Thread starter Godfiend
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Godfiend

Reaction score
I'm currently looking for a small bedroom/studio/practice amp. Something that doesn't require a cab - it can have headphones out or cab simulation into an audio interface. Price range is less than $800. For sound, I mostly listen to death and black metal. My favorite bands include Anaal Nathrakh, 1349, Inquisition, Wolves in the Throne Room, and V:28. It's kind of a wide range tone-wise and I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

So far, it looks like my best options are:

1. Eleven Rack
  2. Laney Ironheart Studio
  3. Peavey 6505MH
The 11R would be a great option except I'm not really into tweaking settings and fiddling with stuff, plus I'm not sure how well it handles high gain (based on feedback I've seen on this forum). I'm not sure which of the tube heads will be a better fit for the style that I'm interested in. And, of course, none of my local shops have these amps available for testing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
No cab? Don't bother with a real amp with a headphone out it's going to sound like .....

Something like a podhd or jamup is your best option.

pkgitar

Reaction score
I LOVE my old Roland Cube. Your shop surely shouldn't have a hard time getting a hold of one without being able to sell it if you don't get it. Same goes for the Yamaha THR like bloc said. Unless they do have one of these, then try them!

I also have the IRT Studio with a 1x12 IRT cab. I wouldn't recommend getting the head only to play with headphones or into an interface. The direct out doesn't sound that good IMO. Maybe into your interface if you have some good IR's, but otherwise there is no point.

big_aug

Reaction score
I always enjoyed using headphones through my HD500. There are lots of user made patches out there you could try without tweaking much.

Godfiend

Reaction score
No cab? Don't bother with a real amp with a headphone out it's going to sound like .....

It sounds like the cab thing has a few people saying it's not worth it? I could see myself getting a 1x12 but I'm not sure about volume. Should I skip tubes if I'm going to practice with headphones?

Look into a Yamaha THR. Don't let the size and brand fool you.

Do you have a good sample or review to point to? The videos I'm finding aren't selling me on this so far - one from Andertons and one from Ola Englund.

I LOVE my old Roland Cube.

Not sure how I feel about a combo amp, especially one with such a small speaker.

The Randall RD is Definitely for you if you're into Death/Black metal.

Does the 20W do low volumes well? The smaller models look like they're pretty lacking in features.

I also have the IRT Studio with a 1x12 IRT cab. I wouldn't recommend getting the head only to play with headphones or into an interface.

Does it do low volume well? I've liked a lot of the samples I've heard but if they're pumping it up to 90 decibels to get that sound then it won't work for me.

I always enjoyed using headphones through my HD500

Hmm, hadn't really considered the line 6 stuff. I kind of like the rack mount and style of the 11R more. Do they sound about the same, or is the 11R noticeably better?

Thanks for the responses, everyone. It looks like I should either pick an emulator / solid state for headphones, or get a cab for tubes?

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
There are tons of demos of the THR10X out there and they all sound pretty badass

EDIT: Did you watch the whole Kieth Merrow vid? He does a part with the raw sound from the amp as he messes with settings on his computer.

Fryderyczek

Hates UG, the ....s
Reaction score
Honestly the features on the RD5 would be enough for me. :shrug:

In my opinion getting a valve amp for low volume practicing beats the point a bit.
I'd just get a very good modeler/solid state amp. Like a Peavey Vypir or a used Flextone(can be had cheap here).

cthroatgtr

Reaction score
Rack/POD amp sim is probably the best option, but not the only option. An alternative is to get an ISO cab to pair with a low/medium output amp. The Rivera Silent Sister is awesome but pricey. The Axetrak is reasonably priced and mutes most of the sound but you can still practice with it. The silent sister is actually a bit louder but sounds better whereas the axetrak you'll need to eq some. I started with the axetrak and moved to the silent sister and I use it to record and practice. For amps I have a Rivera R30, Mesa Mini-Rectifier & Egnater Rebel 20. All sound great though I have been using the mini-rectifier more of late (plus EL84's are cheaper).

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
I would get a combo from Blackstar if I were you. I found that practicing with headphones can be really deceiving because then when you try to play through a real guitar speaker the "feel" is totally different. That's why I would recommend playing through a speaker even at very low volumes (and I think Blackstar can do just that, for example the HT Metal 5).

')