Need help selecting a new 7 or 8 string

• Thread starter II voodoo II
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok first time posting but ive seen this site before..... i currently own a 7 string schecter that is not in production anymore and it doesnt matter what tuning or strings it wont stay in tune.... ive had it worked on but it still acts the same.. i play in drop A or lower .... now ive heard that getting an extended neck like 27 or 28 ' will help with intonation for lower tuning... now its pretty hard to find one without it costing you a arm and a leg... my price range 400 -500. now ive been looking at agile 7 and 8 strings .... ive done alot of research from everybrand.. but for some reason these agiles from rondos music seem good for the price.. i just want it to stay in tune i dont care about pickups everything else can be changed..

so i need some opinions from people who actually know what there talking about.. cause Guitar center is a joke....

so thoughts on agiles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robby the Robot

The President Bits
Reaction score
What kind of Schecter do you have now? What are you looking for in a guitar? Pickups? Finish choices? etc.

Krigsmjod

Reaction score
What sort of bridge is on your Schecter? Is it a tunomatic or a Floyd? If its a budget low end model with a one piece neck sometimes the neck gets a little bendy if the weather changes and that causes some tuning ....ery.

I have no experience with Agiles but if you can get one for a smokin' deal it probably is worth it.

You can look into used Ibanez RGD7's (26.5" scale) or RG7's (25.5") and depending on your tuning 25.5" can be just fine. Drop A or a step down would be fine, might get sloppy below that.

Stangstag

Reaction score
If you want tuning stability, don't get an agile. Unfortunately most low-end guitars have bad tuning stability. You might want to consider spending an extra 200-300$ and get a solid instrument.

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
I have an Agile 9 string and it stays in tune great. The Agiles get a lot of flack for being cheap, but every one that I have owned has been a very quality instrument. They aren't showroom or boutique guitars, but they are reliable and great workhorses. My Agile Intrepid plays and sounds great, and my old Agile Les Paul copy was awesome too.

I also have an Ibanez RG8 8 string and it is a super sweet instrument. You can't go wrong with either brand, really.

edit: by the way, I tune my 9 stringer to a 5 string bass B on the lowest string and the intonation is perfect. I can't imagine going any lower than that though

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.... also why do you think agiles are not good...... ive done alot of research on every brand and in the reviews its 50/50 so it really makes it hard to decide and also people might have bought one and it was bad , but that can happen with any brand... so can you give me more detail on agiles.. like i said im on a budget if i could buy a 700 -900 guitar i would get the alex wade sig 7... its hard to find what you want when you have a preference without spending tons of money.

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
thanks for the reply.... also why do you think agiles are not good...... ive done alot of research on every brand and in the reviews its 50/50 so it really makes it hard to decide and also people might have bought one and it was bad , but that can happen with any brand... so can you give me more detail on agiles.. like i said im on a budget if i could buy a 700 -900 guitar i would get the alex wade sig 7... its hard to find what you want when you have a preference without spending tons of money.

As with any company, there are some that slip through quality control. You live in the US though, and Rondo has a great return policy if you aren't happy with your instrument. I've bought 4 guitars from them and they were all very solid, but other people's experiences may vary.

Reaction score
umm im not 100% sure but i paid 150 used at gc i think it went 200 brand new ..but i want 27'-28' neck um pickups of my choice lundgren pickups, also color doent matter to me, andi want it to just stay in tune

Reaction score
what price did you pay for yours cause alot of my buds tell me if you want a decent guitar with good setup you looking at 700 and up... thats alot to drop at once

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
look used man, there is no reason to buy new because the second you take it out of the store or open the box the value drops by a large amount. why not buy used and let somebody else take that hit :lol:

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
what price did you pay for yours cause alot of my buds tell me if you want a decent guitar with good setup you looking at 700 and up... thats alot to drop at once

It depends on what you want in a guitar. When I bought my Agile Intrepid it was 850 bucks, but it was also one of the first production 9 strings. You can get a nice 7 stringer Agile Les Paul right now for 300 bucks or so, and their cheapest 8 strings start at 400 bucks. Don't expect a good setup from ANY guitar being shipped to you though, especially cheap guitars. You'll put in a little bit of time getting it the way you like it, but (for me) it is always been worth it.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have 3 Agiles and I've never had issues with tuning stability.

Reaction score
look used man, there is no reason to buy new because the second you take it out of the store or open the box the value drops by a large amount. why not buy used and let somebody else take that hit :lol:

ive bought used 3 times and each one had problems but i didnt cancel that option out ive looked, ive been looking for 3yrs now , waiting not buying the first thing i see or hear.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
ive bought used 3 times and each one had problems but i didnt cancel that option out ive looked, ive been looking for 3yrs now , waiting not buying the first thing i see or hear.

well you need to give every used guitar you are interested in a fairly intense test drive. otherwise you will be bound to run into quite a few duds.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
I have an Agile 9 string and it stays in tune great. The Agiles get a lot of flack for being cheap, but every one that I have owned has been a very quality instrument. They aren't showroom or boutique guitars, but they are reliable and great workhorses. My Agile Intrepid plays and sounds great, and my old Agile Les Paul copy was awesome too.

I also have an Ibanez RG8 8 string and it is a super sweet instrument. You can't go wrong with either brand, really.

edit: by the way, I tune my 9 stringer to a 5 string bass B on the lowest string and the intonation is perfect. I can't imagine going any lower than that though
I wanted to tune an eight string to that.What's your 9 string' s scale length?

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
:hbang:

what size necks are those, what tuning do you play in, and cost

27" scale D shaped necks in between an Ibanez and a Schecter, A standard on 10s, my custom was $900, my Hawkers were $425.

Stangstag

Reaction score
Dude you should totally go for a used Schecter Blackjack or something similar.

PROTIP: Dont let 200$-300$ stop you from getting a MUCH better guitar. You will be more happy in the long run, and how long would it take to save up just a little bit more?

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
I wanted to tune an eight string to that.What's your 9 string' s scale length?

It is a 30" scale... It's absolutely ridiculously massive. But I don't think you'll get a low B on anything shorter than that.

')