Need help setting up ibanez iron label egde zero II trem

• Thread starter sunken0887
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sunken0887

Reaction score
my bandmate just bought an ibanez iron label 7 with the edge zero II trem. and this thing is a fucking bitch to set up WTF,

i have an ibanez seven an RG 7620 i believe, has some type of edge tremolo and i tune it to drop B flat (Bflat, F, Bflat, Eflat, G, C, F) to be exact and i have no issues, action is super low, strings aren't tense, plays great, stays in tune no issue, i basically set it up myself, super easy

but i go to set up my bandmates iron label for the same tuning and the action is too high, too much tension, playability is bad, and strings break, i put an extra spring in the back, it made a huge difference, we got the bridge to float right, but bad action way too high, tried to adjust the bridge down(1.4mm on the high F and 2.5 mm on the low Bflat) and the high F broke, we used 10-59 D'Addario strings but we put a 9 on the top instead of the 10, still broke, i didn't touch the truss rod either although the neck looked a bit bowed(came that way from the factory thou), which im thinking is the issue and possibly we may need lighter gauge strings, any suggestions? and maybe someone could tell me how to adjust the truss rod when doing this strange tuning, one thing i'm unsure of honestly

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
99% sure it's the truss rod. Adjust that thing!

Protip: fret the first and 15th frets on the G string and look at the distance between the string and the 7th fret. If the neck is properly adjusted it should be about the thickness of a business card.

IMO the truss rod should almost always be the FIRST thing you adjust if your guitar is having playability issues. Once you get comfortable doing it, it's way easier than fiddling with the bridge or putting on different strings etc.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
99% sure it's the truss rod. Adjust that thing!

Protip: fret the first and 15th frets on the G string and look at the distance between the string and the 7th fret. If the neck is properly adjusted it should be about the thickness of a business card.

IMO the truss rod should almost always be the FIRST thing you adjust if your guitar is having playability issues. Once you get comfortable doing it, it's way easier than fiddling with the bridge or putting on different strings etc.

QFT. What I was going to say but moar betterest.

')