Need help to improve sound quality

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am a newbie to recording and mixing. I am having hard time with sounds:wallbash:. I have started a solo project that is based on home based studio. I use FL Studio 10, guitar pro5 and 6, guitar rig 5. ezdrummer DFH, lots of different synthesizers. My problem is that I am not able to make my sound better. I always get confused with mixing, mostly while mixing drums. My drum samples are really poor. I want to get them sound better. I have uploaded 3 tracks that are poorly mixed. I need suggestions on mixing drums. I do not know how to setup the ezdrummer DFH properly. What should be the sound level for each part of the kit. I really need help. PLZ HELP!

here, is the link to my sounds

Aimless Directions | Solan, IN | Metal / Post-Rock / Progressive Ambient Metal | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation

Facebook Page
http://facebook.com/aimlessdirections

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Listening to Dizzy Heights - First off it doesn't seem like there's much panning at all. Everything is in the middle - your drumkit especially should be spread out. This will help with clarity. I didn't think there was much wrong with the actual sounds at all, for a beginner. The shaker type sound and some of the cymbals are too loud though.

I can't really think of much advise until there is a good stereo spread. That is really a very important element. VERY nice playing and composition though!

I'm interested as to why your drums ended up in mono. They are panned by default and you shouldn't be setting their DAW track to mono :)

Reaction score
Hey!
Thanks a lot. That's what I am confused about. Panning drums; how? I don't know how to make it sound 'stereo'. Please suggest me something. I am totally frustrated here. :(

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
It should already be done when you insert the plugin by default? That's always been my experience. The cymbals appear where they are in the picture of the kit. I am not familiar with FL studio to advise on how to setup stereo instruments in that - but I can advise you where each panning stage may be and where the error may have occurred:
In the EZDrummer mixer
In the FL studio channel input, selected EZDrummer mono instead of stereo input
In the FL studio channel itself, set panning to mono or something.
Sorry I can't help more without knowing FL :(

Once you have it working you are also free to customize it yourself if you want to move the toms around with the pan sliders or something.

I like outputting each kit piece to an individual channel and mixing/panning it all in the DAW, but there's nothing wrong with mixing in the EZDrummer mixer and outputting it all to one channel. You generally want the pan to be just like you'd look at a drum kit - usually from the audience perspective (hihat right) but sometimes from drummers perspective. Doesn't really matter.

Try panning out your other instruments as well. Think of generally keeping fundamentals in the middle (bass, kick, snare) and higher sounds panned across left to right. Guitar 1 left Guitar 2 right for example. Synth left, synth right, and so on :) It can help to make things sound less cluttered as well as providing atmosphere.

Reaction score
It should already be done when you insert the plugin by default? That's always been my experience. The cymbals appear where they are in the picture of the kit. I am not familiar with FL studio to advise on how to setup stereo instruments in that - but I can advise you where each panning stage may be and where the error may have occurred:
In the EZDrummer mixer
In the FL studio channel input, selected EZDrummer mono instead of stereo input
In the FL studio channel itself, set panning to mono or something.
Sorry I can't help more without knowing FL :(

Once you have it working you are also free to customize it yourself if you want to move the toms around with the pan sliders or something.

I like outputting each kit piece to an individual channel and mixing/panning it all in the DAW, but there's nothing wrong with mixing in the EZDrummer mixer and outputting it all to one channel. You generally want the pan to be just like you'd look at a drum kit - usually from the audience perspective (hihat right) but sometimes from drummers perspective. Doesn't really matter.

Try panning out your other instruments as well. Think of generally keeping fundamentals in the middle (bass, kick, snare) and higher sounds panned across left to right. Guitar 1 left Guitar 2 right for example. Synth left, synth right, and so on :) It can help to make things sound less cluttered as well as providing atmosphere.

Thanks a ton man! I really need that. This much information is more than enough. I will try tweaking many things now. I just need one more answer from you. Is there any better DAW than FL Studio that you can suggest me. That would be great help for me. :)

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
I've heard FL is good and heard plenty great music from it :) It will certainly cover all basic functions. Unless you find something that it cannot do, stick with it. No reason to muddle yourself learning new software :) Good luck!

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
I would check out the ebook "The Systematic Mixing Guide". Also check out the andysneap discussion board as well as this one. The drums in ezdrummer should be already panned out. You can also route the drums to there own tracks (8 total in ezdrummer) instead of just one track like it has for the default.

Reaction score
Thanks a ton! I really needed that. :) You helped me a lot. I try making it better. Thanks again man! :)
If there is someone else who want to give me some more information on using ezdrummer in FL studio that would be a great help.

')