Need help with finishing touch on surf punk pedalboard rig!

Gmork

Reaction score
Will take some time to sell some gear to get that beautiful fender vintera jaguar but as far as my pedalboard, ive been researching like nuts and itll go like this...

-tuner.
-mxr m77 OD (maybe wont need it if i can get a bit of grit from the clean preamp)

-Boss Turbo Dist DS-2 (for raunchy solos)
-NEED A CLEAN PREAMP (maybe the amt fender brick, oorrr? )

-EHX Oceans11 Reverb (for the drip!)
-TC Chokra trem.
-into my mesa 50/50.

I think it will work well for what im going for and am pretty stoked!
Are there any clean preamp pedals worth a damn that wont break the bank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I remember liking the AMT F1. Kinda bland but, gets the job done.

The Amptweaker Curveball is also suppose to work well as a clean preamp but, I haven’t tried it.

You could also try the MXR Bass Preamp pedal. THAT is the one i would try first if I was building a pedal rig again.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
If you can afford it, the Shift-Line preamp pedals are supposed to be pretty fucking good. And not as expensive as the likes of Kingsley or Blackbird.

Me and @Spaced Out Ace talked about the F1 once. I didn't like it. IIRC it has a SHIT ton of gain stages on board (for a clean preamp) which made it a bit hard to clean up.

Also yeah, I don't think the Delay would be super necessary if you're using an extremely wet reverb (Also put that in front of the amp. IIRC a lot of those surf toanz were done with the 'verb in front since FX loops didn't really exist at the time.

Gmork

Reaction score
Alright! About to head off to long and mcquade to get the oceans11 and choka! Its such a bad time to be financing a guitar so wish me luck in not starting payments on that fender jag lol

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Alright! About to head off to long and mcquade to get the oceans11 and choka! Its such a bad time to be financing a guitar so wish me luck in not starting payments on that fender jag lol

I don't think you need a 'Jag' guitar necessarily. Perhaps even a Gretsch semi-hollow would do the trick if you can find a used one.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Oh bro, just wire one of your hum guitars for split-coil. Close enough. Honestly. If the rest of the signal chain is there you won’t be missing out on hardly anything

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
But.... Its so beautiful... Ive just always been in love with how jags looks

Jags, mustangs, and JMs are a divine gift to guitar players. But, you can get pretty close with other guitars. Especially if you do a setting where you have buckers in parallel. It sounds killer and you don’t have much volume dip.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I would normally enable the shit out of anyone looking for an offset guitar (they’re so pretty) but, at least give the split could a shot first. It’s a drastically cheaper option and you might just like it a lot. I now LIVE on the middle switch position with both humbuckers split for clean stuff

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Today i wrote the 1st song for a surf band im trying to start. For anyone who cares to hear it so far here it is. Still want to add a vintage 60s style surf organ to it. Played guitar and bass, all drums/amps/fx are just plugins (for demo/learning purposes)
https://soundcloud.com/steven-winger-221857034/surf-2-mp3?ref=clipboard
Heck yeah! I can totally imagine it with the organ too. I'm totally getting my trip on with this. Where's the weed man!? That Metalli-surf riff didn't go unnoticed either. Great job man! I like it. : )
:pickle:

Gmork

Reaction score
Heck yeah! I can totally imagine it with the organ too. I'm totally getting my trip on with this. Where's the weed man!? That Metalli-surf riff didn't go unnoticed either. Great job man! I like it. : )
:pickle:
Haha, yeah def a bit of blackmetal in there. Metallica riff?? Not sure, ive never really been a big fan. I know their big hits but never owned any albums etc. So if theres a similar riff its coincidence. Hard to come up with simple unused riffs lol. And thanks

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Haha, yeah def a bit of blackmetal in there. Metallica riff?? Not sure, ive never really been a big fan. I know their big hits but never owned any albums etc. So if theres a similar riff its coincidence. Hard to come up with simple unused riffs lol. And thanks
Sorry, I honestly thought it was either paying homage or a joke to Metallica :lol: Check out your song starting at around 2:18 until about 2:30 and then check out Metallica's Call of Katulu starting at around 3:32. You just invented a new type of music! Seriously, I dig your song though.

Gmork

Reaction score
Sorry, I honestly thought it was either paying homage or a joke to Metallica :lol: Check out your song starting at around 2:18 until about 2:30 and then check out Metallica's Call of Katulu starting at around 3:32. You just invented a new type of music! Seriously, I dig your song though.
Oh shit!!!! LOL omg its like almost exact! Theyre totally going to sue me lol. Whatever, i came up with it first lol. Surely they took it from somewhere.
I just thought of it as a sorta surfy classical thing.

Last edited:
')