Need help with rosewood fretboard

• Thread starter slay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slay

Reaction score
ever since i cleaned my c7's fretboard with 0000 steel wool and lemon oil it has never felt the same.

It has some very unwanted friction on the fretboard making bends a pain because my fingers stick to the fretboard.

I tried letting the fretboard dry out for two weeks and nothing happened. I also tried fender fretboard conditioner and nothing. I also tried finger ease but that is just a temporary solution.

I swear before i cleaned the fretboard it had like a nice glossy coat on top, now it is just dark rosewood.

anybody know what i can do to revive it?

thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
lol just checking :D

ummmm...

im assuuming you did the steel wool then did the oiling, yea?
possibly could have bits of steel wool fluff mixed with the oil and stick all over your board....

hmmmm
im not sure what you can do really....
maybe buff it and see if you can get a majority of that shit off....

i remember many years ago when i was a youngster i was going through my dads gig box (big black box full of leads and mics and shit.. lol) and i found a bottle of polish...
putting that on my acoustic at the time was the worst thing i have ever done... lol
alot of hand buffing to get that crap off...

Arminius

Reaction score
after i oil a fretboard it takes about 2 weeks for it too feel "right" to me. As far as the glossy finish goes i've never seen a finished rosewood fretboard.

slay

Reaction score
thanks guys

yeah im dissapointed in myself, i should have left it.

maybe it will work in after alot of playing. Or when the summer heat finally starts to hit here in toronto maybe that will help it dry out.

THanks guys

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i wouldn't clean rosewood with steel wool. it's fine for ebony, but rosewood is a softer and has a looser grain than ebony (so it is easier for the steel wool to wear away at it).

the lemon oil itself is all you need to clean/condition a rosewood fret board. it loosens up the grime that builds up on the wood and that gunk just comes off when you wipe away the excess lemon oil.

')