Need help with spending my money!

• Thread starter metalmullin711
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalmullin711

troll toll
Reaction score
ok guys. i need advice on how to spend my money. let me give u a little background. i play metal (all shall perish, veil of maya, born of osiris etc...) ok heres my predicament. ive got about 2300 to spend on my new rig. but i dont know which route to take. now i am content on either of these btw. should i go with an evh 5150 iii 100 watt with a mesa recto 4x12 and bebdone with it. or should i buy the axe fx ultra and a mackie 1531 powered monitor. now if i went the axe fx route i would have to wait a while for the rack, midi controller, etc... of i got the evh i would be done and ready to jam. please give me ur opinions. thanks

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPowers

Reaction score
Are you going to have a NEED to be able to switch sounds on the fly?
Edit: And by that I mean like clean to dirty. Not Engl to Diezel in the Axe-Fx

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I'm gunna change it up and suggest Axe Ultra + power amp + boogie cab + midi switcher, second place is 5150 III and cab.

I didn't get along with my Ultra and FRFR in any kinda loud situation as well as my 2, it's fine sure, but I mostly play in loud rehearsal rooms and shitty stages, I didn't have the means to make it work like someone like periphery. Ultra FRFR was fine for recording and home use, loud I liked it a lot more coming through a cab.

Just my opinion though :D

metalmullin711

troll toll
Reaction score
and i plan on using some intense phaser breakdowns, reqlly tinny treble distortion sounds, and some cleans with rev. chorus and delay. plus distortion of course

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
thanks rook. what power amp would u recomend that isnt crazy expensive?Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Carvin DCM1540L I would personally recommend since I've used it for awhile. a whopping 400 watts per channel in stereo and 1500 watts mono....for $400. You will NEVER need that much headroom, but they also have lower powered, single spaced power amps If I'm not mistaken. VERY good bang for the buck.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
My advice is if you can afford to spend $2300 every 3-5 years when a new model of the AxeFX comes out, then it may not be a bad idea. Otherwise I would go with the EVH. Tube amps don't really change much.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
I'd probably suggest something like an AMT SS30 or Engl e530 plus a power amp that's flexible enough to accept different tube types. I have an e530 going into a 6v6 Orange power section and Orange cab that I absolutely love. It's even more nuts when boosted.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
EVH 5150 100w is $1800 new and a new recto cab is a grand, so you must be planning on finding one of them used I guess?
If that's the case you might want to check the sevnstring.org marketplace forum becuase there's a used black-plate triple rec that's in kansas that looks real minty.
Might not be your thing, but it would put you well under budget.
With a good used cab you'd be at $1500ish.

')