Need new songs

• Thread starter Encephalon5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Encephalon5

Six String Bass Fish
Reaction score
bought a six string a few months ago. Looking for new songs to learn just to improve my playing, all around. ive learned ytse jam by dream theater and a bunch of opeths stuff. ill take anything you guys can give me. preferably in a standard, b standard, or drop a. no necrophagist please. i dont have the dexterity for that. one facet of my playing that needs improving......

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Stockholm Syndrome or Hysteria by Muse might be good ones. Neither is particularly tricky or complicated but both will give you a workout and help you develop speed and stamina. Stockholm Syndrome is originally played on a 4 in drop D IIRC but should be pretty easy in B standard.

Maybe you should give Necrophagist a second chance, for no other reason than that you find it a little challenging. Just take it at a slow tempo first and work your way up. If you can already play Ytse Jam all the way through it shouldn't be too far out of your grasp anyway.

When you were learning Ytse jam, did you happen to find an accurate tab anywhere?

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Anything that has anything to do with Les Claypool
"Panic attack" by DT
"Got the life + Solo" by KoRn
"Hammer smashed face" by Cannibal Corpse
"At the left hand ov god" by Behemoth

Mr12ax7

Reaction score
I second the cannibal corpse. lot of it. And umm I also agree with Lord Iron give necrophagist another chance. I though i would never be able to play ANY of there songs. but i can play a few now. its just lots of sitting there practicing your heart out. Haha you not gonna get any were without pushing yourself just a little bit. ohh yeah for shits an giggles try Obscura. its all in standerd A tho but the shits fun tho!

Encephalon5

Six String Bass Fish
Reaction score
Stockholm Syndrome or Hysteria by Muse might be good ones. Neither is particularly tricky or complicated but both will give you a workout and help you develop speed and stamina. Stockholm Syndrome is originally played on a 4 in drop D IIRC but should be pretty easy in B standard.

Maybe you should give Necrophagist a second chance, for no other reason than that you find it a little challenging. Just take it at a slow tempo first and work your way up. If you can already play Ytse Jam all the way through it shouldn't be too far out of your grasp anyway.

When you were learning Ytse jam, did you happen to find an accurate tab anywhere?

Yea, I found the tab for Ytse Jam on ultimate-guitar.com.
Its tabbed out for a four string. With a little transposition you can get it for six string. It's not a difficult song. Fun as shit though.

I can play Necro riffs but not entire songs. I dont have the stamina or dexterity to do so. Thats something I'm trying to work on.

And yea, Obscura is fucking fantastic. I'm not playing a fretless though. I am learning Orbital Elements.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
The fast part of The Glass prison by Dream Theatre is a great workout. About all I can contribute for now. Some good between string stuff, playing across 2 quite fast (16ths at 144 IIRC).

Encephalon5

Six String Bass Fish
Reaction score
The fast part of The Glass prison by Dream Theatre is a great workout. About all I can contribute for now. Some good between string stuff, playing across 2 quite fast (16ths at 144 IIRC).

I could do that with triplets no problem. Not that fast with two fingers though.
Learned Orbital Elements. Can play through all of it. A little sloppy on one section of the solo though.

Mr12ax7

Reaction score
Im not a big fan of them but doesnt divin heresy's bass player play on a six? ive heard some crazy shit come from them tho try them out see what you get like thats the song umm "Facebreaker" i thinkwas prety sick

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I could do that with triplets no problem. Not that fast with two fingers though.
Learned Orbital Elements. Can play through all of it. A little sloppy on one section of the solo though.

I am talking about the part at 9:40ish, triplets = 3/4 as fast as that so the equivalent of 16ths at 108, not very quick. It is the part under the solos. YYZ is also fun to play. Malignant Narcissism too, good for pedal note practice. You may quickly realize I do not play metal, but I also do not play bass with a pick, ever (I save my alt picking for guitar, guitar good at it just don't like the sound on a bass).

gangaman

Reaction score
maybe some Lamb of god, ashes of the wake is a great album...the older stuff too ,great for alternate picking.

giantchris

Reaction score
Primus is your best bet. Tommy the Cat in particular :eek:

The guy from karvnivool plays a 6xer. If you want technically complicated try the guy from Obscura but I am unsure if you can play what he does since hes using a fretless and not always used the 12 note western scale. (lots of microtones that guy is a fucking BEAST). I think the Between the Buried and me guy plays a 6xer as well and he is a pretty solid player.

Otherwise from a complexity standpoint I'd do Cynic is one you haven't mentioned or anything by Steve DiGiorgio who also plays a fretless but is one of the better players in any genre...ever :p at least in my opinion.

Otherwise I'd learn some Cliff Burton era metallica Orion is a great one and I always thought hit the lights was really fun to play.

Encephalon5

Six String Bass Fish
Reaction score
Yea. Jeroen paul thesseling does play a 72 tone equal temperament bass. He doesn't make much use of microtoniality in obscura though. With the exception of some quartertoned slides. Can use bends for that though.

I know a lot of lamb of god. I hate using a pick though. If I use one its for sweeps and stuff.

Encephalon5

Six String Bass Fish
Reaction score
Yea. Jeroen paul thesseling does play a 72 tone equal temperament bass. He doesn't make much use of microtoniality in obscura though. With the exception of some quartertoned slides. Can use bends for that though.

I know a lot of lamb of god. I hate using a pick though. If I use one its for sweeps and stuff.

')