Need opinions - my 2nd guitarist won't use any other amp than...

• Thread starter Rev2010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
@Rev2010 why can't he use any other amp? now that got me curious, is it an emotional thing like the amp was given by his grandfather or he doesn't know how to dial other amps or something else?

His answer when I asked that was, "I've tried nearly every other amp out there and the Crate is the only one that gave me the distorted tone I was looking for".

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like everyone in here suggesting him to recording as a DI, as if he wouldn't IMMEDIATELY question that and wonder why they aren't tracking the Crate that he's so in love with.
I thought people were suggesting the Crate and DI... I know I did!

It sounds like he's an okay dude, though if he stays stubborn about gear and is asking you to change things coming into YOUR project that sounds like a mess waiting to happen.

Bpebler

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank you. Now that is good advice! 👍
Absolutely. In an Ice Nine Kills interview, the frontman said when there’s a disagreement then the use a 3rd party - recording professional - to be the mediator & they always default to what his advice is & it’s a win every time. Even though the opinions may linger, the advice was followed, the sound is great, & everyone stays together as a unit.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I just answered those questions in my last post. As for the rest of the band there's only one other member and that's the bassist. He hasn't met the new 2nd guitarist yet since he couldn't get off from work for the studio session to tryout the drummer - hence when I'm on here asking y'all for your opinions....

I'm gonna side with @GunpointMetal here. If the first-second time I met you, you were already insisting me about changing my gear because you didn't like it (or my tone), you wouldn't leave the best of impressions.

That doesn't mean the guy isn't a weirdo. Because he clearly is. But as pointed out most musicians are in one way or another. As I said, I can't understand for the life of me how people can like HM-2s or fuzzes and pay small fortunes for something that to me sounds like a broken speaker. But it's obvious it has a massive market.

I have a customer that wants to run a two amps + 1 x bass amp setup. At once. With no FX loops. I don't know what kind of music does he play but rest assured there are people with very "peculiar" taste in gear out there :lol:

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much. Just start the band and see what happens. If things don't work out, then decide.

Reaction score
His answer when I asked that was, "I've tried nearly every other amp out there and the Crate is the only one that gave me the distorted tone I was looking for".
... so he was evasive... he didn't list all the amps he tried nor with what cabs or guitars... because amps sound different with different guitars and cabs... and fingers messing with the knobs...

You said you found a list of quirks he was dropping... how about you list them for us to laugh at... Red flags are everywhere, one just needs to be aware of them to avoid problems, however, problems are the spices of life, otherwise it would be boring...

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm gonna side with @GunpointMetal here. If the first-second time I met you, you were already insisting me about changing my gear because you didn't like it (or my tone), you wouldn't leave the best of impressions.

Just to clarify here again, I didn't "insist" or tell him to change his gear. When we got out of the car and he grabbed his amp head I asked, "You brought your Crate with you? Do you have an umbrella?" and he said, "Yeah I want to use my amp and no don't need an umbrella" yet it was raining hard. then we went in and he removed the brand new JCM900 and setup his Crate. Thought it was odd. Then I asked him if he intends to only ever play through the Crate to which he replied "Yes" and said he also has a second one. I thought that was odd as fuck. I didn't say, "GET RID OF THE CRATE AND USE THIS!!!!".

I'm concerned about the stubborn mentality of having to use this or that only and also being averse to using effect units (which are absolutely necessary for some of my tracks) or wireless and shit. He will use an effect unit but since my HX Effects footswitch broke he keeps going on about how "this is why I don't see the need for an effects unit" and how he got along fine for 2 decades without one. Anything can break, guitar, amp, your wrist, whatever, so I was like WTF kind of argument is that??

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like he was being reasonable for two jams and clearly no expectations set prior.

Want to know why i got a jcm800 and didnt play a tele in sparrows? Because the guy who started the band wanted it that way, and I knew that at the getgo.

YoY

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
his Crate GX-1200H amp head. He's so firmly set that it's the only amp he likes and that it's the sound he always wanted. We went to the studio for the first time last weekend and he even brought his Crate to the studio (in the rain without an umbrella) and set aside a brand new JCM900 to use the Crate. Now, I get having a favorite amp no doubt, and I'm guilty for always wanting to play a Mesa Rectifier, BUT I am not dead set that it HAS to be a Mesa. If I were to go to a studio that didn't have one I'd play the next best thing they have, don't care if it's a JCM800 or Randall, or Orange, whatever... I can make it work for the session.

My concern is Crate is not only a defunct brand but it was always known as an entry level bedroom low end brand. They also are known to not be very reliable. I'm not exactly trying to tell people what they can and can't play, I'm more concerned over the fact that i asked if he intends to play them forever and he said yes. That and he couldn't just make due with the amp in the studio. When people are so firmly set on things like that I have to admit it gives me cause for concern. I also asked about the possibility of a wireless in the future and he was adamantly against that as well. Last thing to add, he has an aversion to using a modern effects unit. Apparently the digital effects in the Crate are enough for him.
1) The more often he brings his amp but not his umbrella, the problem takes care of itself.
2) You can also, if stubborrnees persists, ask yourself: "Does my second guitarist really need an amp?" and even: "Do I really need a second guitarist?

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Just to clarify here again, I didn't "insist" or tell him to change his gear. When we got out of the car and he grabbed his amp head I asked, "You brought your Crate with you? Do you have an umbrella?" and he said, "Yeah I want to use my amp and no don't need an umbrella" yet it was raining hard. then we went in and he removed the brand new JCM900 and setup his Crate. Thought it was odd. Then I asked him if he intends to only ever play through the Crate to which he replied "Yes" and said he also has a second one. I thought that was odd as fuck. I didn't say, "GET RID OF THE CRATE AND USE THIS!!!!".

I'm concerned about the stubborn mentality of having to use this or that only and also being averse to using effect units (which are absolutely necessary for some of my tracks) or wireless and shit. He will use an effect unit but since my HX Effects footswitch broke he keeps going on about how "this is why I don't see the need for an effects unit" and how he got along fine for 2 decades without one. Anything can break, guitar, amp, your wrist, whatever, so I was like WTF kind of argument is that??
Whether its stubbornness or weird miscommunication, I think it is a red flag. However, here are some disconnected thoughts:

1. I know that I want to use my amp. If all I had was a GX-1200H, I'd probably prefer using that over the Marshall, too, just because I would feel more comfortable tweaking my own amp and getting familiar with how it blends in with the sound of the band. This could boil down to miscommunication and difference in tastes. ... that said-
2. I've owned the GX-1200H before. :shrug: I honestly don't think it's nearly as bad as people say. If you actually take time to dial it in properly, it can sound good. I think it's just generally associated with shitty guitarists dialing in shitty tone because they were super cheap. ... that said-
3. It still seems a little weird to me if this is the guys ultimate dream amp.
4. From the other guy's perspective, though, I'd feel uncomfortable if you were hung up on my amp. I think comparing being in his shoes with guy hung up on what amp I'm using, probably before even hearing me play through it versus being in your shoes of having a guy show up to an audition with a $200 amp, I'd be way more uncomfortable in that guy's shoes. It sounds like there's a lot more to the entire picture than just this amp thing, though. But still, I'd highly recommend just letting the thought of what amp the guy is using to audition slip right out of my head. Not everyone can afford anything more than two $200 amps, especially if you guys are going to be playing loud. If it sounds good and work well enough, leave every other small detail for that guy to figure out.
5. How was the umbrella offered? If you came running up with an umbrella and he pushed it away, that would be fucking weird. If you offered a hypothetical umbrella, maybe he didn't want to impose and figured the amp would be fine.
6. The 432 Hz thing you mentioned is a red flag, yes, and I would probably be uncomfortable at the mere mention of it, yes. When you brought that up, my opinion changed from "is @Rev2010 a micromanager?" to "Ahh, okay, it seems like this guy is a bit of a space cadet, and this is probably some sort of poor communication between the two." That said, maybe this guy is just awkward or maybe it was a joke that failed to sound like a joke, who knows?
7. I also don't use effects, really. I own tons of them from ages ago. I feel like they don't add as much to my performance as they are a pain in the ass. So, not only do I think that's a valid opinion, but I concur with him on that one, and, from your last comment, for the same damned reason. I've had a pedal shit the bed on me in the middle of a set, and that moment is just super stressful. Why are pedals necessary?! My wrist is necessary, my amp is necessary, my guitar is necessary. If he has a second amp, then it sounds like he's even mitigated some of those what-ifs.
8. So this is a totally unestablished band? No one else in the band has even met in person yet?

Overall, I'm guessing this guy has some baggage/issues, but this thread doesn't really paint you in a light that leads me to believe that maybe the root cause of the friction here is that you both have some weird quirks and those ultimately aren't going to mesh well. My advice for you, then would be to cut and run with this guy and find someone more on the same page with you. Personally, I think it's not even just okay to have weird quirks, but kind of necessary to be an innovative musician. You do you. Also let him do him. If you + him = you (plural) doing you (plural), then great :yesway: . If not, then it's ultimately not going to work out...

Reaction score
I like everyone in here suggesting him to recording as a DI, as if he wouldn't IMMEDIATELY question that and wonder why they aren't tracking the Crate that he's so in love with.
Because even when people know what amps they want to use, it's just logical to use a DI. That way you have the recorded performance and can do whatever you want with it. Even if you know the amp you're going to use it just makes sense. Again, he doesn't want to do it? Shitcan his ass.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
When I joined my current band I showed up with my 6505+ and the other guitarist had some wear line 6 amp, not even sure what it is now. I immediately was biased against it in my head. We turn on and he sounds absolutely fine.. actually his amp sounds pretty good.

It made me take a step back and realize a good player is going to sound good through almost whatever they play, especially if they know how to tweak it.

Not saying I like the idea of someone using a crate gx, but asking him to change amps is probably going to brew some bad blood. IMO if it bothers it that much, you'll probably need to ask him to leave the band. You don't want resentment festering.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
his Crate GX-1200H amp head. He's so firmly set that it's the only amp he likes and that it's the sound he always wanted. We went to the studio for the first time last weekend and he even brought his Crate to the studio (in the rain without an umbrella) and set aside a brand new JCM900 to use the Crate. Now, I get having a favorite amp no doubt, and I'm guilty for always wanting to play a Mesa Rectifier, BUT I am not dead set that it HAS to be a Mesa. If I were to go to a studio that didn't have one I'd play the next best thing they have, don't care if it's a JCM800 or Randall, or Orange, whatever... I can make it work for the session.

My concern is Crate is not only a defunct brand but it was always known as an entry level bedroom low end brand. They also are known to not be very reliable. I'm not exactly trying to tell people what they can and can't play, I'm more concerned over the fact that i asked if he intends to play them forever and he said yes. That and he couldn't just make due with the amp in the studio. When people are so firmly set on things like that I have to admit it gives me cause for concern. I also asked about the possibility of a wireless in the future and he was adamantly against that as well. Last thing to add, he has an aversion to using a modern effects unit. Apparently the digital effects in the Crate are enough for him.
we don't pay brands , we play music. it shouldn't matter what anyone uses as long as it sounds good and isn't made by forced labor or children. BTW back in the day many a pro used crate blue voodoo heads.

Reaction score
we don't pay brands , we play music. it shouldn't matter what anyone uses as long as it sounds good and isn't made by forced labor or children. BTW back in the day many a pro used crate blue voodoo heads.
NO! THE ONLY REASON TO PLAY GUITAR IS TO SPEND LOTS OF MONEY ON BRANDS SO YOU KNOW IT SOUNDS GOOD. EVEN IF IT DOESN'T SOUND GOOD IT SOUNDS GOOD BECAUSE BRANDS!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
NO! THE ONLY REASON TO PLAY GUITAR IS TO SPEND LOTS OF MONEY ON BRANDS SO YOU KNOW IT SOUNDS GOOD. EVEN IF IT DOESN'T SOUND GOOD IT SOUNDS GOOD BECAUSE BRANDS!

359.gif

Ross82

Reaction score
Record both his amp and a DI.
If his amp doesn't fit in the mix, tell the person recording you to discretely reamp after the fact without telling your guitarist.
Might cost you a little extra cash, but it could be worth it...

All about this, if people really knew the trickery that goes on with their performances under recording circumstances they likely would have a conniption.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
All about this, if people really knew the trickery that goes on with their performances under recording circumstances they likely would have a conniption.
Part of being a recording engineer is practicing a bunch of different ways of saying "That was pretty good, but lets do it again." and moving some stuff on screen then hitting CTRL+Z before you hit playback and watching the band go "Yeah, no that totally sounds better."

Latest posts

')