Need opinions on Apex1!

Schaug

Reaction score
I've found this geetar brand new hanging in a shop and I need your opinions on it. Its beautiful and I love mahogany! :metal: I know some of you guys had it so I was wondering if you colud help me pull a trigger. Ive just sold my Loomis which I liked but things change so yeah, I need a new guitar. Yes I know that PAFs would have to go eventually. :agreed:

I've also having second thought on a UV777 in the same shop, used but in great condition. The only thing that is bothering me about both of these guitars is the scale lenght and the fret size. I've got used to the Loomis' huge frets and extended scale so would it be a prob? How big are the frets on theese compared to the Loom and RGD? I have somewhat big hands. Btw I play a lot of downtuned thrash/death metal and have always digged EMGs for that thrash grind and low mid attack so I guess I would have to mod whichever guitar I choose. Thanks! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Yes I know that PAFs would have to go eventually.

Not necessarily! The PAFs sound so good with the mahogany. :agreed:

I can't make a comparison to the Loomis - it should be pretty close to any RGD I would think. I can tell you it's a quality guitar. You should not be disappointed with any aspect of the build or components. If it's hanging there take some time to play it and see what you think. Playability is so subjective it would be hard to say whether you will bond with the neck or not.

Another note - the finish is awesome but also a little bit more fragile than a normal painted or stained body. I've had no trouble with mine but I have read some reviews and posts about the finish coming off a easier in normal wear areas.

They are becoming somewhat scarce - this one is "new" - how much are they asking for it?

Schaug

Reaction score
Not necessarily! The PAFs sound so good with the mahogany. :agreed:

They are becoming somewhat scarce - this one is "new" - how much are they asking for it?

I think PAF neck is a great pup but the bridge one is a tad low on the output side and a bit too airy for me. Need something thicker/tighter but at least they are not v7/v8 so thats a good thing. And the neck, well I liked the RGD Prestige neck, it was simply perfect for me, Loomis neck was also ok up the fretboard but a bit too thick on the lower register.

They are asking 1150 euro (around 1400 $ I think) which for a new guitar is a fair price I guess.

SeaBeast

Reaction score
I love mine, has a huge sound and I like the PAF's in there. I dig the inlays as well. If you can snag one in new condition for a good price I'd say go for it. My only complaint is that the finish is fragile like was mentioned above. In fact I'm probably gonna try and grab a K7 or one of the newer Korn models so I can keep this one in its case.

Schaug

Reaction score
I dont really know which year model it is but Im so sad to hear about the finish being easily damaged. I keep my guitars fairly 'safe' at home but I gig often and Im really bothered by that shit. :scratch:

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Im so sad to hear about the finish being easily damaged.

Not "easily damaged" - just be clear - but a little bit more fragile than a painted/cleared or stained finish. The finish will last forever - but the normal wear areas like the back (from belt buckle) and top edge (wear from picking arm) are vulernable. The finish itself is awesome, but it's an applied material and can separate. :yesway:

It's a special guitar, especially to us Munky fans! :lol:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I've got a K-7 and I regret changing the PAF7 out for an X2N7 pretty much every time I play it. I need to get round to swapping them back over.

SeaBeast

Reaction score
I dont really know which year model it is but Im so sad to hear about the finish being easily damaged. I keep my guitars fairly 'safe' at home but I gig often and Im really bothered by that shit. :scratch:
Yeah it's not that it's easily damaged, but perhaps it's more susceptible to wear. Either way do NOT let that sway you, because the sound and feel of the guitar is fantastic.

')