Need opinions on future high-end 7/8 string purchase

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post on this site (hopefully i'm following all the rules for posting, if not let me know please :)

Anyway, I am a longtime 6 and 7 string player, and own a couple nice mid-range 7s. I'm going to have roughly $3500, give or take, to drop on a high-end guitar within the next 3-4 months. These are what I've narrowed it down to:

- Strandberg CL7 (blue)

- Strandberg Boden 8 w/ SD Pegasus/Sentient combo

- MusicMan JP7 BFR Koa

- Skervesen Shoggie 8 fanned fret neck thru w/ BKP Aftermath slanted set

- Conklin New Century Club 8 w/ Lundgren M8 pickups

I would really appreciate any opinions as to what you would go with and why.

I realize that opinions are like a$$holes and that the decision is ultimately up to me, but I want to consider all options/opinions before dropping this kind of money...

Thanks in advance!!! I'm really looking forward to posting a NGD when I finally get the guitar as well!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mik3D23

things
Reaction score
Honestly I'd probably buy a cheap 8 string to see if you jive with 8 strings first, rather than drop $3500 into a guitar you may or may not like playing.

That being said, I'd figure out whether you wanted a 7 or an 8 string first, and then decide what you want out of the guitar. The guitars you listed for the most part are going to sound very different from each other.

Personally I'd take one of the Strandy's since the others don't appeal to me very much.

Also, :welcome:

alvo

Reaction score
+1 on test driving the feel of 8 strings if you haven't yet. If possible, get something that has good resale value just in case you don't get along with the 8 strings. Or you can go with the cheaper 8 string route. Just something to think about when throwing down that much money.

Personally I would go with one of the Strandberg's. You'll get to experience fanned frets (if you haven't yet) and I'm sure it'll be easy to sell if you don't like it.

in short...Praise the Sun!

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
I've been playing 8 string for a little over a year now, but never got around to buying one. I definitely really, really enjoy playing them and am beginning to find them more comfy than my 7 strings, but I do love me some 7 string guitars too!

I play everything from clean tapping stuff to shred to meshuggah-style stuff...

What I'm looking for in the guitar is quality woods, aesthetics (I know this is subjective), comfort and ergonomics, good scale length, and versatility...

I'm entertaining the thought of the 7 strings to an extent, but am really leaning towards either the Strandberg Boden 8 or the Conklin New Century 8.

I was dead set on the Strandberg, but then found the Conklin and am very intrigued (thought it was horrible looking at first, but am really digging it now).

alvo

Reaction score
I've been playing 8 string for a little over a year now, but never got around to buying one. I definitely really, really enjoy playing them and am beginning to find them more comfy than my 7 strings, but I do love me some 7 string guitars too!

I play everything from clean tapping stuff to shred to meshuggah-style stuff...

What I'm looking for in the guitar is quality woods, aesthetics (I know this is subjective), comfort and ergonomics, good scale length, and versatility...

I'm entertaining the thought of the 7 strings to an extent, but am really leaning towards either the Strandberg Boden 8 or the Conklin New Century 8.

I was dead set on the Strandberg, but then found the Conklin and am very intrigued (thought it was horrible looking at first, but am really digging it now).

Well it looks like you have it narrowed down. The Boden fits all your criteria in spades. From what I gather from SSO, the Lace pickups are versatile but so are the Lundgrens :scratch:. The Strandberg is 26-28 scale and the Conklin is a straight 27 so it looks like that and the aesthetics will be your deciding factors.

Strandberg NGD threads are always nice to look at :)

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I wouldn't go the Conklin route unless you are prepared to go all in on a Custom Shop instrument. I'm sure the New Century Series guitars and basses are fantastic but compared to what Conklin is capable of you might regret buying what is perceived as the tier 2 line of Conklin guitars. :2c: (I'm a fan of Conklin by the way. :yesway: )

If you want a luthier built guitar, might I suggest looking at TK Instruments . It's a one man operation, Todd, and he builds some wild but intuitive guitars.

There is something to be said for production models too. An EBMM JP Anniversary model will give you a fantastic 7 string and an extra $1000 in your pocket. :yesway:

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
As far as the Conklin and going full custom, from what I've been told via email with Bill, the New Century series is the same as the customs as far as build quality and he'll do stainless frets for a very small up charge. In short, build quality and fretwork kind of trumps everything IMO, and I do like how the new century series AND strandbergs look.

I'll just say build quality, fretwork, and comfort are the most important factors overall.

As far as the Strandberg, I would be paying the hefty up charge for the SD Pegasus/Sentient pups... I honestly don't like the harshness of Lace bars.

I saved up $3500 for the sole purpose of buying a high-end guitar, so I'm pretty set on staying around that price range.

Anyone here actually play/own a Conklin? How are the neck profiles? How is the fretwork and fit and finish?

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
I'm really agonizing over this choice...

I like the extra inch of scale length on the Strandberg, but the SD pups are gonna run me another $200, plus $200 more if I want the body stained.

The Conklin comes with Lundgren M8 pups on a 5-way switch (super versatile), but only has a 27" scale...

I tune the 8th string to either F# or E, standard tuning for the rest (or half step down on all strings occasionally). Would 27" be enough?

alvo

Reaction score
Woops, I missed the Boden Pegasus/Sentient part, sorry.

I have a DC800 with Lundgrens and the 27 scale is enough for Drop E. I have to use a string gauge around 76-82 for clearer tone but it gets a lil floppy when tuned to E. I used to use an 86 for better tension but it sounded pretty dull.

If you can handle a floppy low string for Drop E then the Conklin should be fine. And 27 scale is perfect for F#.

Orandje

Reaction score
They're all great. But as you said, People will all give their personal opinion and you should create your own through testing those brands and decide if it suits your playing.
All brands have got a good reputation and personally I like the Musicman & Strandberg choices.

Praise the Sun. \[T]/

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
After playing strandberg guitars, I can safely say you should totally get a Strandberg guitar. No joke. Do it.

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate everyone's input! I'm definitely leaning towards the Strandberg now, but I'm a little pissed that it's a $200 up charge to get passive pups (the Pegasus/sentient is all they offer in passive routes)... I'll likely end up replacing them with Lundgren M8s at some point down the road, though...

bschmidt

chug life
Reaction score
Like others mentioned, I would recommend checking out an rg8/agile/kraken to see how you feel on the 8 strings before going big.

I would highly recommend the Skervesen, mine has completely blown me away. Of course, I'm also trying to save for a -s* so although I've never played one I think it's another safe pick

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
Like others mentioned, I would recommend checking out an rg8/agile/kraken to see how you feel on the 8 strings before going big.

I have been playing on my brother's 8 strings (Ibanez RG2228 and Schecter Blackjack 8). I find them more comfy than 7 strings now and I really like having the extra range (even though it's technically only 5 extra notes, lol!).

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd get the endurneck though. IPNP-Up maybe, preferably the more traditional shape (C shape).

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
Well... After much debate, I'm leaning more towards having a Carvin DC800 built for me, and a DC7X built for my brother... Thoughts?

Latest posts

')