Need opinions on this CD art

• Thread starter Dores
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Keep the "candle"?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No!

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

Dores

Reaction score
ShadowCD5.jpg

My band is split in half on this one. Me and and a couple of others think that this design is really cool and quite deep, while the other guys think it looks like a christian cozy CD, because of the "candle".

edit: We play melodic metalcore by the way.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikemueller2112

Reaction score
I don't think the candle makes it looks like Jesus-rock. Reminds me of Mahavishnu Orchestra though. What's the point of the candle flame, just get something more badass and make them happy. Also, why have the actual art in only the top left quadrant of the CD? Looks cheap IMO.

Dores

Reaction score
I now realize that it has been edited so much that it's nearly impossible to see that the candle is actually supposed to depict planet earth.

Will have to make some modifications.

edit: modifications done:
ShadowCD6.jpg

Demiurge

Reaction score
Not quite sure how a candle would exclusively connote religion, so I really wouldn't worry about that confusion.

I think that either design looks good. The "zoom out" to show that it is a candle is cool because it looks like the earth is melting inward, and the "zoom in" looks like an impressionist painting of a sun setting over a creepy valley.

mikemueller2112

Reaction score
Well I still don't understand the purpose of the candle flame. It would be a cooler image if there was no flame at all, just have the opening with the hot rock (as geologically improbable that situation may be).

Iamasingularity

7string Ghost
Reaction score
I`m telling you. The art is kinda losing the point. I mean there`s a peaceful candle in the middle, but the earth looks like its gonna crack into pieces. The CD should just be full black with the band name logo on the top, and the title on the bottom. I think that would just be killer, and leave a good impression. Yeah. Right now its definitly reminds me of a Christian ballad album.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like it has no point. The design isn't horrible, but it feels really pointless, like there's no real focus to the design.

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
for the me the candle is too nice, too soft : candles are for women who like to take bath and shit like this...and if i may add a 2nd opinion, the overall feel of the artwork reminds me a 70s hippy still, kind of soft and blurry

Dores

Reaction score
The earth/candle is going away. Thanks for the input everyone!

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
In the first picture I thought it was a candle and flame which looked really good the way I saw it. The world/flame looks kind of eh

EDIT: OHHH I get it, the planet is like those candles that have the dug out top. That does look pretty cool :)

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
One look at the art and this is my take:

Its probably a New-Age / Ambient music CD.
Its probably a World Fusion CD for a certain cause / awareness.

That same candle in the palm of hands would totally make for a great Awareness CD.

I just read your style is metalcore. I don't listen to that genre much so I don't know the related artwork that is common in the genre.

I like the art itself. Not so much on the CD, but the art by itself is pretty kickass. :hbang:

')