Need pickup suggestions for Orange rig

• Thread starter Tizzer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tizzer

Reaction score
Stock pickups, dull sounding, gotta change em yadda yadda. Here's what I'm working with:

LTD MH250 NT
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 2x12 closed back cab

What I'm looking for is something with good clarity/articulation, but without sacrificing balls/meat/girth/etc. Basically, I want the in-your-face rock/metal tone of a band like Kvelertak, while still being able to play some djenty down-tuned riffs. I don't need the razor sharp attack of someone like Bulb, but I'd like to play some low chuggy riffs without getting too sloppy.

An articulate/crisp sounding pickup would pair well with the dark sound of the rockerverb I think. I've been looking at Duncan Distortions and some Lace pickups, namely the Bill Kelliher signature set. Am I looking in the right direction or am I way off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have an Orange Jim Root and the Orange 112. So I have the mini-me version of your Rockverb rig. I would love to have that! I found the Distortion too honky in the mids. Cleans are really nice though. I like the Custom5 SH-14 on this amp for rock to hard rock metal.

Tizzer

Reaction score
I have an Orange Jim Root and the Orange 112. So I have the mini-me version of your Rockverb rig. I would love to have that! I found the Distortion too honky in the mids. Cleans are really nice though. I like the Custom5 SH-14 on this amp for rock to hard rock metal.

Interesting, I don't know why I never looked at the Custom 5. The description on the website says it's like a higher output '59, which is kind of a classic sounding humbucker from what I understand. That could be exactly what I want haha. Does that description seem accurate to your experience? Do you know if it stays tight with drop tunings?

Tizzer

Reaction score
Interesting, I don't know why I never looked at the Custom 5. The description on the website says it's like a higher output '59, which is kind of a classic sounding humbucker from what I understand. That could be exactly what I want haha. Does that description seem accurate to your experience? Do you know if it stays tight with drop tunings?

Also, an important thing for me, do they coil tap? Gotta have my coil tap tones.

robski92

Reaction score
You might like SD black winters. I have them in my basswood body rg and they are pretty articulate and punchy to me.

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
The most balanced, clear and articulate pups I've used are BKP Juggernauts. They're just so versatile - regardless of guitar or amp.

What really resonated with me was how transparent they are which gives you greater control with your amplification/effects. Their balance is second to none, too.

They remind me of a great singer. Capable of so much variation and nuance whilst having incredible range and flexibility. Given the amp your using, I think they'll really shine

Tizzer

Reaction score
The most balanced, clear and articulate pups I've used are BKP Juggernauts. They're just so versatile - regardless of guitar or amp.

What really resonated with me was how transparent they are which gives you greater control with your amplification/effects. Their balance is second to none, too.

They remind me of a great singer. Capable of so much variation and nuance whilst having incredible range and flexibility. Given the amp your using, I think they'll really shine

I think those would be great too. I mean if Misha Mansoor uses 'em they've gotta be articulate and punchy. Problem is they're about $100 more than most Duncan sets. More than I was hoping to spend on a set of pickups. Do you think they're $100 better than a set of Duncans?

robski92

Reaction score
I also have a Duncan distortion in my hellraiser, its a little on the darker side (which I personally like) but it remains clear. It might be a bit brighter in your guitar since I'm pretty sure its a maple neck through.

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
I think those would be great too. I mean if Misha Mansoor uses 'em they've gotta be articulate and punchy. Problem is they're about $100 more than most Duncan sets. More than I was hoping to spend on a set of pickups. Do you think they're $100 better than a set of Duncans?

How important us your tone to you?

Having a pickup that will effectively communicate the sound you are trying to achieve is worth it's weight in gold.

Without wishing to gush and blow smoke up BKP's arse, the old adage 'you get what you pay for' is especially pertinent in this topic. I've tried all sorts, the big players to custom winds and only now am I satisfied that I have actually found my true voice. That changes everything.

Tizzer

Reaction score
How important us your tone to you?

Having a pickup that will effectively communicate the sound you are trying to achieve is worth it's weight in gold.

Without wishing to gush and blow smoke up BKP's arse, the old adage 'you get what you pay for' is especially pertinent in this topic. I've tried all sorts, the big players to custom winds and only now am I satisfied that I have actually found my true voice. That changes everything.

I don't mind waiting until I have the money if they're really that much better. It's just hard because although I'd be paying for quality, it all comes down to taste. I'm sure there's people out there who prefer a Duncan set over an expensive boutique set, but I'm a pickup noob and there's no easy way to try out pickups with my guitar and amp. I'll just have to go with one and find out.

')