Need pickup suggestions!

• Thread starter max3000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RaySuhy

Reaction score
Before you rip the EMG's out, try out the 57/66 set. It'll be an easy swap out and the tone of that set is huge and warm!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wakjob

Reaction score
Don't overlook the Evo neck either. I liked it so much, I bought another one for my EC-256.
Probably the only pickup I haven't considered modding. Perfect just the way it is.

I also like the Air Norton and Duncan '59 for the neck.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score

This. I'd also try swapping the EMG's positions and have the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck. I've never been a huge fan of EMG's but I really enjoyed the 18V modded 85 I had in the bridge position of one of my guitars for a while.

Are there any specific bands or sounds you're going for? Heavy and articulate is pretty broad...What's your rig like?

A couple of passive sets I've used and enjoy are
-BKP C-Pig bridge/Liquifire neck
-Dimarzio Titan bridge/Liquifire neck
-D-Activator set (or with an LF or Air Norton neck)

max3000

Reaction score
This. I'd also try swapping the EMG's positions and have the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck. I've never been a huge fan of EMG's but I really enjoyed the 18V modded 85 I had in the bridge position of one of my guitars for a while.

Are there any specific bands or sounds you're going for? Heavy and articulate is pretty broad...What's your rig like?

A couple of passive sets I've used and enjoy are
-BKP C-Pig bridge/Liquifire neck
-Dimarzio Titan bridge/Liquifire neck
-D-Activator set (or with an LF or Air Norton neck)

I'd love to get a Titan set but they only come in 53mm which isn't compatible with my ESP...

I do like the newer prog stuff like BTBAM, Tesseract, Intervals, Periphery...

But I also like some of the "old school" stuff like Metallica, Marty Friedman etc..

I kinda wish they had made the SD Nazgul/Sentient for 6 strings.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
They make the Titan in regular spacing. There are some up on eBay or you could go through Dimarzio directly or fill out an order form from the Axe Palace.

Besides, even if they weren't available in Regular spacing, the difference between using a 50mm pickup and 53mm is negligible at best. It makes absolutely no difference on the sound and can hardly be seen anyway.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
I know that BTBAM are using "active-like" passives, and Metallica have been using actives since forever, so if you like that sound, here's another vote for D-Activators, or alternatively BKP Blackhawks.

But yeah, try that 18v mod first. Why spend 200 bucks if it turns out that a $5 mod that takes 20 minutes will make you happier?

max3000

Reaction score
They make the Titan in regular spacing. There are some up on eBay or you could go through Dimarzio directly or fill out an order form from the Axe Palace.

Besides, even if they weren't available in Regular spacing, the difference between using a 50mm pickup and 53mm is negligible at best. It makes absolutely no difference on the sound and can hardly be seen anyway.

I think it's more of a fitting in issue. If it was the other way around it wouldn't be an issue.

But if they do then that's great. I am now leaning more towards the 18v mod honestly. I really miss the dynamics and more "earthy" feel of the 58/06 pickups I had on my PRS McCarty.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I think it's more of a fitting in issue. If it was the other way around it wouldn't be an issue.

But if they do then that's great. I am now leaning more towards the 18v mod honestly. I really miss the dynamics and more "earthy" feel of the 58/06 pickups I had on my PRS McCarty.

Definitely give the 18V mod a shot since it's so cheap :yesway:

And the baseplates/outer dimensions of regular and F-spaced pickups are the same, so either will fit in the guitar. The only difference is where the holes for the poles are. EMG's are a bit bigger than passive pickups anyway, so fitting the pickups in won't be an issue :)

max3000

Reaction score
Guys! Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. Now I just gotta pull the trigger on something haha..

EDIT: I also found out that for passive 500k pots I will need to enlarge the holes.. No thanks :)

Vigaren

Reaction score
I'm getting my second pair of juggernauts for my ESP horizon. I already have them in an Ibanez prestige and they sound awesome, very versatile, full and aggressive yet dynamic! I've gotten good results trying to achive alot of different tones. Anything from modern metal to more old-school metal/rock stuff to jazz and blues.

I emaild the guys at BKP and they said that the juggs would defenetly work with similar tones in mind for an horizon.

1b4n3z

Reaction score
Guys! Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. Now I just gotta pull the trigger on something haha..

EDIT: I also found out that for passive 500k pots I will need to enlarge the holes.. No thanks :)

You'll only need to do that if you choose US spec pots (CTS, Bourns). Alphas and several no-brand pots go right in without modification.

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
SD Black Winter are where it's at. You can crank the piss out of the gain and still be clear and articulate through it all. My favorite pickups by far.

max3000

Reaction score
You'll only need to do that if you choose US spec pots (CTS, Bourns). Alphas and several no-brand pots go right in without modification.

I've actually heard pretty nasty things about Alphas..

')