Need some advice on new pickups!

• Thread starter AlexEdwards
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexEdwards

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've recently bought an ibanez rgd321. I freakin love it, but the pickups are a bit sub-par to my taste. Kinda on the muddy side.

I'm currently looking at getting a Dimarzio Evolution for the bridge, but I wanted to get your guys thoughts on it.

The guitar is made form basswood, so i have the feeling that might change what I should get. maybe a brighter EQ?

all advice is appreciated here, I want to get my money's worth and i'm a bit in the dark with all of this

Thanks in advance!

-Alex

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
I have always found a really good set of Dimarzios work really well in Ibanez guitars, especially basswood bodied ones. In my previous experiences, the following combos would be good:
-Super 3 bridge & Evolution Bridge model for the neck
-Tone Zone bridge and Air Norton neck
-D-Activator set is another good set too...
-CrunchLab bridge & LiquiFire neck

Of course it all depends on what kind of tone your looking for, what your playing out of for gear and so on. But these are a few good sets that will compliment the guitar really well, and are very versatile and dynamic, capable of any and all styles and genres you'll play.

Hope this helps, and good luck choosing! :wavey:

AlexEdwards

Reaction score
I have always found a really good set of Dimarzios work really well in Ibanez guitars, especially basswood bodied ones. In my previous experiences, the following combos would be good:
-Super 3 bridge & Evolution Bridge model for the neck
-Tone Zone bridge and Air Norton neck
-D-Activator set is another good set too...
-CrunchLab bridge & LiquiFire neck

Of course it all depends on what kind of tone your looking for, what your playing out of for gear and so on. But these are a few good sets that will compliment the guitar really well, and are very versatile and dynamic, capable of any and all styles and genres you'll play.

Hope this helps, and good luck choosing! :wavey:

Hey Kamikaze! Thanks for your input man! I was looking a lot of those combos, primarily the CL/LF combo and D-Activator set.

But I forgot to mention my band plays in drop A flat..another factor I should consider when getting new pickups? Perhaps more emphasis on high and mids on the EQ as far as the pickups go?

Anyone who can help me out would be appreciated, like I said i want to get my money's worth on this purchase!

stuglue

Reaction score
If you are playing in such a low tuning then its critical to avoid mud. Rule of thumb, the hotter the output the less clarity you'll get, but the sound will be warmer and fatter, however thats not ideal as it can be too flabby. The dimarzio site didn't great if thats your only source for details. Personally id take what they say as a basic guide, id look for one where its not bass and low mid prominent like the Tone Zone. You could see what Seymour Duncans offer. I switched an X2n out for a Duncan SH5 and the clarity and definition improved immensely
Pickups like the Tone Zone are fine if you want to solo on a bridge pickup but I wouldn't reccommend it for rhythm

stuglue

Reaction score
If you are playing in such a low tuning then its critical to avoid mud. Rule of thumb, the hotter the output the less clarity you'll get, but the sound will be warmer and fatter, however thats not ideal as it can be too flabby. The dimarzio site didn't great if thats your only source for details. Personally id take what they say as a basic guide, id look for one where its not bass and low mid prominent like the Tone Zone. You could see what Seymour Duncans offer. I switched an X2n out for a Duncan SH5 and the clarity and definition improved immensely
Pickups like the Tone Zone are fine if you want to solo on a bridge pickup but I wouldn't reccommend it for rhythm

AlexEdwards

Reaction score
Have you considered Bareknuckle Pickups??

Yes actually, I love the coldsweats as well as the painkillers. but unfortunatley the price is out of my range at the moment. perhaps in the future.

Yeah, that's what I figured the more bass/low mid= more nasties. With those things considered the specs on the D-Activator Neck look promising.

Latest posts

')