Need some advice with what to buy with my portable home rig.

• Thread starter Dookieshoes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dookieshoes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello!

For the last five years i've been only playing guitar through my gojira plugin and my krk monitors, but ive gotten tired of it and i think its time for some more oompf.

I know im gonna go for an amp modeler or profiler, but im probably gonna start with my POD HD500X while im saving up for something better. Maybe a used AX8 or Kemper profiler player.

Ive ordered a used Marshall JCM900 Lead 1936 2x12 cabinet for 280$ as the *Foundation*, but when it comes to poweramps im totally lost. My neighbour uses a Kemper profiler stage through what i think is a Seymore Duncan powerstage 170 and into a Marshal MX212r 2x12 and i love the feel of that rig.

Is a seymore duncan powerstage good enough for any profiler/modeler like axefx/cortex/pod/kemper etc..?

Thanks in advance for any tips. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Hello!

For the last five years i've been only playing guitar through my gojira plugin and my krk monitors, but ive gotten tired of it and i think its time for some more oompf.

I know im gonna go for an amp modeler or profiler, but im probably gonna start with my POD HD500X while im saving up for something better. Maybe a used AX8 or Kemper profiler player.

Ive ordered a used Marshall JCM900 Lead 1936 2x12 cabinet for 280$ as the *Foundation*, but when it comes to poweramps im totally lost. My neighbour uses a Kemper profiler stage through what i think is a Seymore Duncan powerstage 170 and into a Marshal MX212r 2x12 and i love the feel of that rig.

Is a seymore duncan powerstage good enough for any profiler/modeler like axefx/cortex/pod/kemper etc..?

Thanks in advance for any tips. :)
Megadeth uses them live with their Axe-Fx's :shrug:

I use mine and love it, now granted, my tube amps DO sound better through a cab than my helix does, I personally think modelers sound best with IR's through full range speakers, but the hybrid set up sounds awesome and is really handy for gigging, as you can have a stage cab and just go to FOH with an IR for the audience.

Dookieshoes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Megadeth uses them live with their Axe-Fx's :shrug:

I use mine and love it, now granted, my tube amps DO sound better through a cab than my helix does, I personally think modelers sound best with IR's through full range speakers, but the hybrid set up sounds awesome and is really handy for gigging, as you can have a stage cab and just go to FOH with an IR for the audience.
I know tube amps sounds better than modellers, but for my small 45square meter apartment i think a 2x12 with a modeller or profiler is good enough :) Plus i love the versatillity and the no need for a million different pedals and effects on the floor.

I think i may go with a used AX8, but the Kemper profile player seems pretty dope to.

So basically - Marshall cab -> Powerstage -> AX8/Kemper/Pod -> Guitar? No more flashy things needed for a good home sound that i can carry around? :D

Dookieshoes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just home oomph? Try a powerstage170.
Correct. Maybe some gigging in the future, but i doubt it. My plan for now is just a Cabinet, modeller and poweramp and then upgrade along the way as i feel the need. :) Already got my hands on a cabinet, and i still got my old HD500X, so now i just need a poweramp before i upgrade the POD to something better.

Latest posts

')