Need some input on band rig

• Thread starter G_3_3_k_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
So I like the option of small and light. I just acquired a Headrush which I like a lot. But I’m relying on my band mate’s amp collection for being loud enough for practice. He’s cool with it since he’s got amps to spare. However, I’m not a big fan of any of his amps.

I’d like to keep it relatively light since I have a torn right rotator cuff currently.

Option A, a couple Orange SS power amps, my 112 omega cab and a 212 closed back. Run the Headrush to the power amps. Simple. Effective. Probably the cheapest option.

Option 2, same cabs but acquire a couple EVH 5150 III 50 watt heads (or the like). Heavier. But still pretty small. Offers some simpler pedal platform options if I don’t feel like taking the modeler to a gig.

Option ▫️, half of one or the other of the above amp solutions blended with a bass rig. Could potentially be the lightest weight option since there are some bass amps that are very light, and lots of neo bass cabs out there. Potentially even more versatile since I could also get a bass and pick up bass gigs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A PRS MT15 with your cab will be small footprint, lightweight & loud... Has fx loop return for the Headrush too.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
A PRS MT15 with your cab will be small footprint, lightweight & loud... Has fx loop return for the Headrush too.

I’m gonna need to compete with a guitar player with a Rockerverb and a Verellen, and a bass Player with an SVT and 810. Proggy post metal stuff. Kinda like Isis, and Cult of Luna. And I like really pristine cleans.

Last edited:

sleewell

Reaction score
I like running one 5153 50w with one of my quilter tone blocks with my helix. Sure two tube amps would be better but it actually sounds pretty sweet blending them. Plus the quilter is tiny lol. I do have my eye on one of those ksr pa50s though, probably would be sweet instead of the quilter.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I like running one 5153 50w with one of my quilter tone blocks with my helix. Sure two tube amps would be better but it actually sounds pretty sweet blending them. Plus the quilter is tiny lol. I do have my eye on one of those ksr pa50s though, probably would be sweet instead of the quilter.

I’d actually just be using the power amps of the 50 watt heads live. There just give me some other options should I want to run a single amp with FX or something else like it.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score

I have an injury settle coming in. So I’m not all that concerned with price. But I don’t want to buy two diesels either. They’re sick. But I don’t want o have to carry them around with a jacked up shoulder.

sleewell

Reaction score
I’d actually just be using the power amps of the 50 watt heads live. There just give me some other options should I want to run a single amp with FX or something else like it.

Yea that's what I do too

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the evh 5153 50 watts arent too heavy and they sound great and are plenty loud. ultimately, its up to you which type of tone you want to get, but the 5153 can do basically everything. The blue channel with a boost was my fave when i had one for rhythm and red for leads. Clean are good, but i think the engl cleans are better, but its not really a 1:1 comparison there.

My only gripe with the evh 5153 is the power and standby buttons are on the back of the amp, which was always annoying, but the tone is great.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have an injury settle coming in. So I’m not all that concerned with price. But I don’t want to buy two diesels either. They’re sick. But I don’t want o have to carry them around with a jacked up shoulder.
A number is something concrete we can work with.

Also running 2 cabs with a RC injury sounds like a recipe for potential lifelong issues?

My two cents for free: make a deal with your bandmates that they will carry the heavy stuff. Get two powered PA speakers and 4ft poles for each. Run a small preamp or multi into said PA setup. This will be lightest and easiest to manage.

The other guys could be running 200w amps 4x 412s and 2 svt classic/810 setups - it doesnt matter at all if the instruments arent volume and eq matched to sound like a unit. If one is louder than the other two, thats a discussion worth having :2c:.

Best of luck, band sounds like fun!

Latest posts

')