Need some input on band rig

• Thread starter G_3_3_k_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
So I like the option of small and light. I just acquired a Headrush which I like a lot. But I’m relying on my band mate’s amp collection for being loud enough for practice. He’s cool with it since he’s got amps to spare. However, I’m not a big fan of any of his amps.

I’d like to keep it relatively light since I have a torn right rotator cuff currently.

Option A, a couple Orange SS power amps, my 112 omega cab and a 212 closed back. Run the Headrush to the power amps. Simple. Effective. Probably the cheapest option.

Option 2, same cabs but acquire a couple EVH 5150 III 50 watt heads (or the like). Heavier. But still pretty small. Offers some simpler pedal platform options if I don’t feel like taking the modeler to a gig.

Option ▫️, half of one or the other of the above amp solutions blended with a bass rig. Could potentially be the lightest weight option since there are some bass amps that are very light, and lots of neo bass cabs out there. Potentially even more versatile since I could also get a bass and pick up bass gigs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A PRS MT15 with your cab will be small footprint, lightweight & loud... Has fx loop return for the Headrush too.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
A PRS MT15 with your cab will be small footprint, lightweight & loud... Has fx loop return for the Headrush too.

I’m gonna need to compete with a guitar player with a Rockerverb and a Verellen, and a bass Player with an SVT and 810. Proggy post metal stuff. Kinda like Isis, and Cult of Luna. And I like really pristine cleans.

Last edited:

sleewell

Reaction score
I like running one 5153 50w with one of my quilter tone blocks with my helix. Sure two tube amps would be better but it actually sounds pretty sweet blending them. Plus the quilter is tiny lol. I do have my eye on one of those ksr pa50s though, probably would be sweet instead of the quilter.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I like running one 5153 50w with one of my quilter tone blocks with my helix. Sure two tube amps would be better but it actually sounds pretty sweet blending them. Plus the quilter is tiny lol. I do have my eye on one of those ksr pa50s though, probably would be sweet instead of the quilter.

I’d actually just be using the power amps of the 50 watt heads live. There just give me some other options should I want to run a single amp with FX or something else like it.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score

I have an injury settle coming in. So I’m not all that concerned with price. But I don’t want to buy two diesels either. They’re sick. But I don’t want o have to carry them around with a jacked up shoulder.

sleewell

Reaction score
I’d actually just be using the power amps of the 50 watt heads live. There just give me some other options should I want to run a single amp with FX or something else like it.

Yea that's what I do too

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the evh 5153 50 watts arent too heavy and they sound great and are plenty loud. ultimately, its up to you which type of tone you want to get, but the 5153 can do basically everything. The blue channel with a boost was my fave when i had one for rhythm and red for leads. Clean are good, but i think the engl cleans are better, but its not really a 1:1 comparison there.

My only gripe with the evh 5153 is the power and standby buttons are on the back of the amp, which was always annoying, but the tone is great.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have an injury settle coming in. So I’m not all that concerned with price. But I don’t want to buy two diesels either. They’re sick. But I don’t want o have to carry them around with a jacked up shoulder.
A number is something concrete we can work with.

Also running 2 cabs with a RC injury sounds like a recipe for potential lifelong issues?

My two cents for free: make a deal with your bandmates that they will carry the heavy stuff. Get two powered PA speakers and 4ft poles for each. Run a small preamp or multi into said PA setup. This will be lightest and easiest to manage.

The other guys could be running 200w amps 4x 412s and 2 svt classic/810 setups - it doesnt matter at all if the instruments arent volume and eq matched to sound like a unit. If one is louder than the other two, thats a discussion worth having :2c:.

Best of luck, band sounds like fun!

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
If you only need the power amps and are happy with the Headrush tones, I'd use the power amps on one of his amps and your cabs. If you want something light, grab a pa power amp like a Crown XLS. Will be very loud and much lighter. Sounds great with modelling too. You could also get some cabs with neo speakers to reduce the weight further.

The most convenient option would probably be to get some FRFR speakers. Would be light and super loud, also could be used for bass. Although I'm not sure how they sound with real amps and cabs.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
What are your choices of amps to borrow from your bandmate? I figure the easiest solution would be to run your Headrush either in 4CM or straight into the power section of something relatively clean :shrug: then use your 2x12 cab up on a stand or something so it doesn't just blast at your ankles. No extra gear purchase required, and still fairly light.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
the evh 5153 50 watts arent too heavy and they sound great and are plenty loud. ultimately, its up to you which type of tone you want to get, but the 5153 can do basically everything. The blue channel with a boost was my fave when i had one for rhythm and red for leads. Clean are good, but i think the engl cleans are better, but its not really a 1:1 comparison there.

My only gripe with the evh 5153 is the power and standby buttons are on the back of the amp, which was always annoying, but the tone is great.

Yeah, I looked…. 36lbs? Not bad.

A number is something concrete we can work with.

Also running 2 cabs with a RC injury sounds like a recipe for potential lifelong issues?

My two cents for free: make a deal with your bandmates that they will carry the heavy stuff. Get two powered PA speakers and 4ft poles for each. Run a small preamp or multi into said PA setup. This will be lightest and easiest to manage.

The other guys could be running 200w amps 4x 412s and 2 svt classic/810 setups - it doesnt matter at all if the instruments arent volume and eq matched to sound like a unit. If one is louder than the other two, thats a discussion worth having :2c:.

Best of luck, band sounds like fun!

For amps I’d like to keep it around $1500/ea?

My current cab is a 112 and it’s only about 30lbs. I HATE 412 cabs. 212 is as big as I’ll willingly go. Not opposed to Neo speakers either.

Band mates are friends I’ve had for a long time. When I showed up the first time, they already knew about my injury and wouldn’t allow me to even carry my guitars. 🤣

I’m getting surgery done at some point during the settlement process so in the next year, I’ll be as close to back to normal as I’ll ever be.

As far as loud, we want that wall of sound thing. I’d keep my rig at 112 or 212 max. Not really High on Fire loud, but earplugs definitely recommended.

If you only need the power amps and are happy with the Headrush tones, I'd use the power amps on one of his amps and your cabs. If you want something light, grab a pa power amp like a Crown XLS. Will be very loud and much lighter. Sounds great with modelling too. You could also get some cabs with neo speakers to reduce the weight further.

The most convenient option would probably be to get some FRFR speakers. Would be light and super loud, also could be used for bass. Although I'm not sure how they sound with real amps and cabs.

That’s a good idea and I’ll keep that in mind. I do like having a guitar amp around though to plug into when I want to keep it really simple. I tried FRFR when I did my first experiment with modeling. I didn’t like it at all. Felt like I was playing with the speaker and not like I was playing the speaker if that makes any sense.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
What are your choices of amps to borrow from your bandmate? I figure the easiest solution would be to run your Headrush either in 4CM or straight into the power section of something relatively clean :shrug: then use your 2x12 cab up on a stand or something so it doesn't just blast at your ankles. No extra gear purchase required, and still fairly light.

Current cab is a ported 112. I can keep borrowing the amps for now. But I don’t like relying on their gear. Current amps available are a JCM800, Road King, and a Verellen Skyhammer. All are much looser than I like, not enough gain, or both. Require a boost to get where I want to be, and I hate tap dancing. That’s why the modeler is being used. One button press, everything changes. The reason I looked at the 5150 III 50 watt amps is they have MIDI. I can choose to use the amps via midi if I want instead of models. Im not married to the amps, but I like the idea more than the others currently.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
if you want wall of sound that 212 better be open back :2c:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Current cab is a ported 112. I can keep borrowing the amps for now. But I don’t like relying on their gear. Current amps available are a JCM800, Road King, and a Verellen Skyhammer. All are much looser than I like, not enough gain, or both. Require a boost to get where I want to be, and I hate tap dancing. That’s why the modeler is being used. One button press, everything changes. The reason I looked at the 5150 III 50 watt amps is they have MIDI. I can choose to use the amps via midi if I want instead of models. Im not married to the amps, but I like the idea more than the others currently.

Try running into the effects return of the Road King, at least in the meantime if you're still planning on purchasing the EVH down the line. Between the power tube combinations and Modern/Vintage modes available, you'll have plenty of power and tonal flavors to use with the amp models in the Headrush and feed whatever cabinet. You wouldn't necessarily need midi switching on the amp if you don't plan on using any of its preamp options or if there's only one you'd like and use. You could have a 4CM patch where you use a boost from the Headrush driving the front end of whatever high gain mode on the amp to get a tighter tone, then switch to another amp model/effects chain feeding straight into the power section for other tones still in a single tap.

All that said, the EVH is a killer amp if that's more your taste overall. Same logic applies with running it 4CM or straight into the effects return, then you'd have the bonus of midi channel switching like you mentioned.

Latest posts

')