Need some insight on tuning and intonation stability

• Thread starter Duraesu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Duraesu

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a 6 string guitar with a 24,75 scale, 3P maple neck, bone nut, tune-o-matic bridge with stoptail, standard non-locking gotoh sg360 tuners.

I have this one tuned to B standard with a 13-62 daddario set.

The issue I am having is that the tuning is not very stable (not very dramatic but still...) and the intonation in general is not "perfect", I have the saddle on my 62 string is all the way to back and there is no more room. Getting lower string gauges is something I dont want to do because this tension is perfect for me.

I am thinking about upgrading to some nice gotoh locking tuners with a 1:16 ratio (because the Gotoh SG360 locking models from Gotoh ESP japan are the only ones that will direct fit without redrilling for other models/brands) and replacing the bridge for a Gotoh 510FB which has the particularity of having pole adjustment in length... basically extending the intonation space...

Mu question is: will this give a better and stable tuning and intonation since the locking tuners will not need strings wraps and the bridge can be moved a little bit more torwards the stoptail?

Sorry for the long read, I tried to be specific to get more accurate insight 😅

cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Stretch your strings properly and learn how to pick in a way that keeps the guitar in tune. Did you already flip the saddle for max length?

Locking tuners dont change tuning stability, they just make string changes faster.

Duraesu

Reaction score
Stretch your strings properly and learn how to pick in a way that keeps the guitar in tune. Did you already flip the saddle for max length?

Locking tuners dont change tuning stability, they just make string changes faster.
Hey budda!

Yeah, the saddle is flipped, but still needed more room to have that intonation on point...

about the picking, yeah I tend to pick hard, I play Metal... but will take that advice in account, maybe I just need to adapt 😅

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a 6 string guitar with a 24,75 scale, 3P maple neck, bone nut, tune-o-matic bridge with stoptail, standard non-locking gotoh sg360 tuners.

I have this one tuned to B standard with a 13-62 daddario set.

The issue I am having is that the tuning is not very stable (not very dramatic but still...) and the intonation in general is not "perfect", I have the saddle on my 62 string is all the way to back and there is no more room. Getting lower string gauges is something I dont want to do because this tension is perfect for me.

I am thinking about upgrading to some nice gotoh locking tuners with a 1:16 ratio (because the Gotoh SG360 locking models from Gotoh ESP japan are the only ones that will direct fit without redrilling for other models/brands) and replacing the bridge for a Gotoh 510FB which has the particularity of having pole adjustment in length... basically extending the intonation space...

Mu question is: will this give a better and stable tuning and intonation since the locking tuners will not need strings wraps and the bridge can be moved a little bit more torwards the stoptail?

Sorry for the long read, I tried to be specific to get more accurate insight 😅

cheers
Firstly, intonation. The thicker gauge the strings, the wider the adjustment needed, as you have found here (just look at the adjustment needed on a low B bass string). I believe Gotoh do a drop-in replacement tune-o-matic with longer throw saddle adjustment that might solve your problem. Suggest you compare its dimensions with your existing bridge to be sure.

As for tuning stability, a roller saddle tune-o-matic and a Graphtec nut would be ideal, but see above: you might be able to retrofit the Gotoh with Graphtec saddles.

However, a big plus 1 on stretching strings and proper technique in replacing strings (i.e. keep strings under tension, minimal neat winds, etc.) I'd ensure I was doing this first to avoid unnecessary upgrades. After all, I can usually set up a standard Fender trem tuning to stay very stable (and recoverable with a quick cycle) without any special upgrades, just through good stringing and trem set-up.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey budda!

Yeah, the saddle is flipped, but still needed more room to have that intonation on point...

about the picking, yeah I tend to pick hard, I play Metal... but will take that advice in account, maybe I just need to adapt 😅
If you dont learn how to pick lighter you’re gonna have a bad time :2c: its also gonna save your arm+wrist a bit of wear and tear.

tedtan

Reaction score
Locking tuners won’t help with tuning stability. You need to make sure the nut slots are filed correctly for you string gauges and then string and stretch them properly. Bone is fine for nut material, especially on a guitar without a trem, but a bit of graphite or petroleum jelly in the nut slots can help lubricate the slots and help avoid having the strings get stuck in the nut slots.

As for intonation, you need either a thinner string with less tension or some way to lengthen the low B string, probably a new bridge with a wider adjustment range, but maybe someone makes a saddle that can swapped out, too. I’m not familiar enough to be able to point you to anything specific, though, so hopefully someone else can help.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The Schaller M6 mini tuners are a direct drop-in replacement for the Gotoh 360 tuners.

The Gotoh 360 are 1:14 compared to the Schaller being 1:18. The improved gear ratio might help a bit in preventing backlash, but locking vs non-locking will not make much of a difference if you are stretching strings properly when restringing.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Point of clarification, locking tuners do increase tuning stability. They won't do anything in regard to intonation.

Further point of clarification, if you're having noticeable stability issues the main problem isn't the tuners. It's the neck and/or pocket.

')