Need Some PC Game Recommendations

• Thread starter SenorDingDong
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zuzek

Reaction score
While Dear Esther is pretty cool, it is a far cry worth of $10 in my opinion. Snatch it up during the upcoming Steam Summer Sale for $2.50. Will happen.

What you're talking about in the OP sounds more like adventure games than real RPG's to me. Dost thou stomacheth adventure games like Grim Fandango and Indigo Prophecy? I'd say they're worth youtubing a Let's Play for anyone that remotely likes stories and games. If you dig it, don't hesitate to get them (although that may be challenging...).

Talking about 'text book' RPG's.. I'm bored with anything coming out since Witcher 2. They pale in comparison in the most embarrassing ways possible.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
If you want to try something really different, try "Dear Esther." It's short, and practically completely non-interactive. The whole game is basically you walking around an island while occasionally hearing this one guy monologue, or rather you hear this disembodied voice as if it were making entries in a journal, and only lasts a couple hours.

And yet, it's such a unique experience. It leaves you thinking.

Give it a whirl. It's only $10 on Steam.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's also gorgeous, and has a beautiful score.

OMG yes. Such a great piece. Semi related, while we're in Indie territory: have you played Bastion? Short game, and a lot more actiony, but does wonderful world building and storytelling in a short amount of time.

If you liked Psychonauts, give Brutal Legend a whirl. If you can stomach the RTS parts, the rest of the game is great fun, the writing and a bunch of the voices are top notch, and also Ozzy. :fawk:

You could also, if you can deal with the graphics, go grab something like System Shock 2.

What about the old Fallout games, or new or old X-COM?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's another game you might want to give a whirl. It's called "To the Moon."

Bear in mind, I have not played it myself. However, I do want to, and it's pretty well reviewed, and has quite an interesting concept, as well as charming Chrono Trigger-esque graphics.

See for yourself:

EDIT: Also, while we're at it, if you haven't played Chrono Trigger... ....ING PLAY IT. I generally have an intense dislike of JRPGs, but Chrono Trigger was absolutely brilliant.

Labrie

King of the Swing
Reaction score
+1 on Deus Ex Revolution - I find that I revisit it quite often between other games. Is there going to be another one? I don't do a very good job of keeping up with that...

They are apparently making a movie. Not sure if I'm excited about that as most games turned movie aren't good. There are also hints of a follow up to Human Revolution. The original Deus Ex is still my favourite game of all time. If you haven't played it yet I would definitely recommend it. Even though it's over a decade old, it's an amazing piece of work with tons of replay value.

SpaseMoonkey

Reaction score

I beat it in I want to say 1 sitting, something like 2 hours. The music fits it perfectly to where when you hear the music later on you start to tear up. But IMO it's nothing of an RPG more like an interactive story at best. But I enjoyed the story a lot.

As people have mentioned previously on games wait for it to drop price on steam.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Odd. I never had any issues.

I saw similar issues on forums, and none of the fixes worked for me :(

You broke Don Vito.

I just remembered another possible hit: Legend of Grimrock. The story is a tad bit thin, but this is an RPG in the vein of the old Ultima Underworld games.

Grabbed Legend of Grimrock. I've heard that it's excruciatingly difficult. Excited to have some old school style RPG fun.

If you want to try something really different, try "Dear Esther." It's short, and practically completely non-interactive. The whole game is basically you walking around an island while occasionally hearing this one guy monologue, or rather you hear this disembodied voice as if it were making entries in a journal, and only lasts a couple hours.

And yet, it's such a unique experience. It leaves you thinking.

Give it a whirl. It's only $10 on Steam.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it's also gorgeous, and has a beautiful score.

I loved that game. Very much an experience.

Have you checked out Knights of the Old Republic? It's rather old, but it remains astonishingly excellent today.

The Witcher is solid, but things REALLY heat up in the Witcher 2. That's the game where gameplay, plot, dialogue and characterization all really came together. The first is still great, but play it just to get to the second.

I loved KOTOR. KOTOR 2 was all right.

OMG yes. Such a great piece. Semi related, while we're in Indie territory: have you played Bastion? Short game, and a lot more actiony, but does wonderful world building and storytelling in a short amount of time.

If you liked Psychonauts, give Brutal Legend a whirl. If you can stomach the RTS parts, the rest of the game is great fun, the writing and a bunch of the voices are top notch, and also Ozzy. :fawk:

You could also, if you can deal with the graphics, go grab something like System Shock 2.

What about the old Fallout games, or new or old X-COM?

I need to grab Bastion, heard some good things about it.

I played both the System Shock games. I'm pretty sure the first two Bioshock games are spiritual successors.

I love the old Fallout games.

Bear in mind, I have not played it myself. However, I do want to, and it's pretty well reviewed, and has quite an interesting concept, as well as charming Chrono Trigger-esque graphics.

EDIT: Also, while we're at it, if you haven't played Chrono Trigger... ....ING PLAY IT. I generally have an intense dislike of JRPGs, but Chrono Trigger was absolutely brilliant.

I'll grab both. I generally dislike JRPGs as well, but I trust your opinion.

I think I'll give Witcher a second go. I couldn't really get into it when I first bought it on GOG, as it's too much "here, sit and watch/listen to this" in the beginning, which is a huge turn-off for me. But I'll see if it gets better, I think I still have the GOG installer on my PC somewhere.

SpaseMoonkey

Reaction score
I was thinking all day at work about this. If you like Baldur's Gate, have you tried Neverwinter Nights? It's practically the same game.

ferret

Reaction score
Scanned through my game library again, some more suggestions:

Beyond Good & Evil: An older game that had an HD face life a couple years ago. Fairly story focused, 3d platformer with a collection/investigation angle.

I've never played it, but Jade Empire was another game from Bioshock that I believe uses the same engine and gameplay as KOTOR. I've just never gotten around to it though.

Another old but great: The Longest Journey. This is more adventure game, story driven. No RPG or action elements.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Slightly odd but I thought SWTOR was actually a decent single-player RPG if you just play through solo (you get a companion to help you) and ignore the MMO components if you're not into that sort of thing. It has been a long time since I played though and it could be different now.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Don't know how i forgot this one...unless someone else mentioned it here and i didn't see it

vampire: the masquerade Bloodlines

Coltzer

Coltzer
Reaction score
I know you said no Skyrim, but Morrowind is still by far my favourite in the series. Much slower and more exploration driven.

Have you ever tried any aRPG's like Diablo? I know they are really on the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of depth and narrative, but can be great games none the less, especially a new one called Grim Dawn which I've been playing the alpha of.

I must definitely +1 the person who mentioned Psychonauts too, fantastic adventure game, not exactly an RPG though.

Some thing more party/squad based, but again not overly roleplay-y; have you ever played XCOM (the original or the new one, I have confirmation from my friend that the new one lives up to the originals legacy).

Also + 1 on those who mentioned The Witcher series, very deep and story driven.

And finally, random game but really occupied a lot of my time; Freedom Force. I really loved the ability to design your own super hero, and if you made him/her/it overly powerful, it was extremely difficult to save up the funds to hire that hero.

')