Need some string gauge advice

• Thread starter Anos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anos

Reaction score
I just got a Carvin DC727 All walnut guitar. I am tuning it to either Ab, Db standard or G, C standard. What would you use for each one? I like .54 for my 6 string in drop Bb, but they could be tighter. Better tighter than looser I always say. So what do you guy's think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

helly

Professional doofus.
Reaction score
Sounds like you'd be pretty happy with the standard D'Addario 7 string set. 10-59. Should get you plenty of tension, even in G# between the string gauges and the 27" scale length of the guitar.

Anos

Reaction score
i used to use 60 for Bb before my last restring. I don't think that would be tight enough. I was thinking of using .52 on the Db and and .65 on the Ab. just wanted to see. like maybe .11 .15 .23 .32 .42 . 52 .65. Not sure, cuz I dont have all that much experience with strings. But something along those lines.

MJS

Reaction score
Since you're covering quite a range, you might as well just grab a few different heavy sets, probably no smaller than 11s or 12s, then just start playing with it, maybe even mixing & matching. You could even order a couple heavier single strings for the B, in case you end up happy with one set, but want a fatter B.

Sounds like you'd be pretty happy with the standard D'Addario 7 string set. 10-59. Should get you plenty of tension, even in G# between the string gauges and the 27" scale length of the guitar.

Carvin's are 25.5" and ship with 10-56 strings.

Bones43x

Reaction score
I use the 9-54 d'addarios on my 1527, and they're a little too loose for me. I tried the 10-59s immediately after buying it, but it screwed with the trem too much. I tried putting an extra trem spring in, but then it was pretty much unusable. I wen't back the the 9-54s.

')