Need to know this info.

• Thread starter MikeyA18
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyA18

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a vocalist looking for a band. All I am wondering is what do people look for in a vocalist?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
A raging coke habit?????

Just kidding.

Kind of.

What kind of music are you in to?

Reactions: IGC

IGC

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a vocalist looking for a band. All I am wondering is what do people look for in a vocalist?

IMO, someone who can project their voice, has a wide range of highs and lows, can apply dynamics, has a good ear, sings in key, can write cool lyrics.

On top of raging Coke habit, and not to mention other hard drugs and alcohol, groupie hording ! Lol

MikeyA18

Reaction score
A raging coke habit?????

Just kidding.

Kind of.

What kind of music are you in to?

Haha the only habit I have is mary Jane. I'm into rock, grunge, alternative, pop, metal, well my voice can adapt to most genres. All my years of Choir taught me to adapt my voice. I made all state and honors choir, so i can use my range pretty well, i have an excellwnt use of dynamics, singing in key (crucial), and I am a great lyicist. I am in no means tryibg to toot my own horn. Lol :p

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
1. Actually show up- be there for practise even if you don't have a big hand in the songwriting process, and, for the love of god, do NOT flake out on gig day. Maybe it's just where I live, but vocalists are some of the flakiest people on the planet. If it's anything like that where you are, you will be some band's hero if you're actually reliable.

2. Know how to sing- I'm guessing you've got that down.

3. Stage presence- I hammer this point in all the time, but it's especially important for the vocalist. You play the instrument most people pay attention to, and, on top of that, you're the MC. Don't feel bad about planning what you're gonna say beforehand- some people just aren't great at improv, and I'm betting your audience would much rather hear something you rehearsed than "Uhhhh... well... okay, so... we're gonna play another song... uhhh this one's called... uhhhh *awkwardly stares down at setlist*... Oh yeah, 'Lick my Love Pump'"

MikeyA18

Reaction score
1. Actually show up- be there for practise even if you don't have a big hand in the songwriting process, and, for the love of god, do NOT flake out on gig day. Maybe it's just where I live, but vocalists are some of the flakiest people on the planet. If it's anything like that where you are, you will be some band's hero if you're actually reliable.

2. Know how to sing- I'm guessing you've got that down.

3. Stage presence- I hammer this point in all the time, but it's especially important for the vocalist. You play the instrument most people pay attention to, and, on top of that, you're the MC. Don't feel bad about planning what you're gonna say beforehand- some people just aren't great at improv, and I'm betting your audience would much rather hear something you rehearsed than "Uhhhh... well... okay, so... we're gonna play another song... uhhh this one's called... uhhhh *awkwardly stares down at setlist*... Oh yeah, 'Lick my Love Pump'"

Thank you, Science_Penguin. Thats exactly what I needed to know. The only thing I struggle with is confidence. Getting it back fast. The list you made was perfect.

Science_Penguin

Reaction score
Trust me, I struggle with confidence too. I find planning what you're gonna do helps...

...Aaaaaaand I don't recommend this for everyone, but... I like to have a couple of beers or a shot of scotch before a show, just to loosen up.

IGC

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I was all ways impressed with use of D.A.W. 's. - Great tool for developing ideas.

And most importantly, all most forgot...Swindling your band mates for large amounts of money! Lol

bhakan

Reaction score
So on top of the general "don't be a shitty bandmate" advice, I'd add that, at least for me, having "character" to your voice is everything. I know classically trained vocalists whose range and pitch control are fantastic, but they just sound flat and uninspired in front of a rock band, and I also know vocalists who are awful singers from a technical standpoint but kill it anyway.

Now I don't know that I can really define "character" for you, so that might be a problem :lol:.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
If you'll forgive the frankness, I typically place vocal ability below many other much rarer traits with a singer. I've played in bands with some people who had extraordinary vocal abilities and I've played in a lot more bands with people who had very poor vocal technique. Nine times out of ten vocal abilities are overshadowed by other factors. On records, it's nice to hear someone who knows their stuff, but a lot what you hear nowadays can be edited from bad to good, if the engineer is willing to put up with (read: paid for) hours of work to clean up vocals.

So, just, in general, being a decent human being:

Staying in touch with band mates, particularly if you can't make it to practice or whatever. This has always been my #1 problem with musicians in general - just not showing up. I did a gig in January in which the bass player I hired didn't show, didn't call, didn't text message, nothing. Last I spoke with him, he confirmed he was going to be there. A quick text to remind him the day before (just texting him the time and place) got no response, which didn't concern me too much, but then 10 minutes before show time, and I still had heard nothing...and I haven't heard from the guy since then. I've dealt with the same thing a thousand times with all sorts of musicians. I think most people who are halfway serious about playing out will have zero tolerance for someone who skips out on a show. Now that I'm older, I consider anyone who skips practice without an excuse is just warning me of how that person will behave during a show.

I've also been in bands in which the singer caused more drama than necessary. I suppose that's just part of personality, but 999 times out of a thousand, I'll prefer the singer who doesn't trash the venue, incite the crowd to try to punch the bass player, puke on my amp backstage, pick fights with the other bands at the show, break into my liquor cabinet while we are setting up drums for practice, etc. If you think this sort of bullshit is entertaining, then you might get kicked out of a lot of bands.

I realize that you probably think this sort of thing should go without saying, but, in my experience, well, it needs to be said. :lol:

Next up is the other side of personality. If you can be professional, but still be energetic and pump up the crowd at the show, then you will be successful. The band needs to be musically on the same page and sound tight, but the vocalist is more hype (referring to rock idioms), so, without inciting violence, if you can get people fired up and exude the confidence necessary to grab people's attention and keep it, then you are doing fantastic.

As far as vocal techniques, it's difficult to say, really. There are dozens of different vocal styles that will work with any given type of music. I'll pick a very cliche example: AC/DC. Bon Scott was a pretty good singer. IMO, Brian Johnson sounds nothing at all like Bon Scott- not even close. Yet, Brian Johnson is more iconic of their success. You can throw Axl Rose in there, and maybe it still works on some level. The key is confidence and consistency. If you can consistently deliver the same vocal techniques, I think you can succeed in a rock band (this includes metal, country, whatever, I'm talking about the way bands work, not so much how they sound). You have artists like "Wing," who probably couldn't match any given pitch on the keyboard, but she had a musical career, because she could deliver a performance consistent with a brand. I didn't think Joe Cocker could really sing, but I still loved his performances. I could go on and on, but my point is that consistent performance along with professional attitude and an entertaining stage persona are really the ONLY 3 ingredients you need to make a career as a singer in a band.

The following is a list of big plusses aside from what I just said:
1. Knowing some contacts in the industry. Maybe you have a cousin who is already in a band, or an aunt who knew a guy in high school who owns a bar, or whatever. Utilize those contacts.
2. Give a helping hand when loading in and out, especially if you don't have anything important to do.
3. Purchase a microphone and learn how to use it. Sing softly only close to the mic. Don't cup the mic or aim it at speakers. Don't swing the mic around like it's a battle flail unless you are prepared to purchase another XLR cable ($30-60) and potentially another microphone ($150-500).
4. Dress appropriately. If you want to be in a death metal band, don't show up wearing a frilly shirt and a purple vest. If you are playing in a symphonic metal band, don't show up wearing coveralls and a straw hat.
5. Be friendly with your band mates, but don't do anything ridiculous like try to move into the guitarist's basement or start picking relentlessly on the drummer. No one should get too upset about a little ribbing, but if you single one person out, it gets weird. Remember that if you are successful enough to hit the road, you are going to most likely be locked in a van with these guys for weeks at a time. Even if it doesn't work out in one band, you should expect to cross paths with the same people again and again. :2c:

PS - If you do partake in substances, keep it to yourself.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Don't swing the mic around like it's a battle flail
I've played with a couple of vocalists who, before each show, intentionally wave the mic around in front of the monitors to "test" them, without warning and without any regard for what the sound guy is currently doing, and I sort of cringe every time they do it. If I have any advice, it's to not try to do things to intentionally cause feedback to "test" the sound guy. :lol:

Latest posts

')