Negative associations: weird reasons you avoid/dislike stuff

• Thread starter russmuller
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
This is pure randomness, but I thought it'd be fun to start a thread where people talk about the weird reasons why they avoid or dislike certain things.

I'll start off.

-About 11 years ago I got sick after eating KFC's popcorn chicken. Their chicken is delicious, but I never eat there anymore.

-I loved System of a Down's album Toxicity. I jammed it all the time in high school, until some lady in an SUV made an illegal turn in front of me and we crashed. I don't play that record anymore, even though I like it.

-I always enjoyed the Terminator movies, but I was traumatically dumped by a girl the day we were supposed to go see Terminator Salvation. Still haven't watched that movie, or any of the subsequent installments.

Alright, what weird avoidances do you guys have?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The reason you hate KFC is the same reason I can't eat oranges, spaghetti, or sour cream. When I binged on a ton of orange slices, I got sick an hour later and felt like I was gonna throw up all that night. Same thing happened when I ate school cafeteria spaghetti. After I got home I felt like .... the entire night and the day after. Same situation when I had a Taco Bell taco overfilled with sour cream. I know, Taco Bell is known for that, but I've never, ever, ever gotten sic from eating Taco Bell until then. :ugh:

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
-About 11 years ago I got sick after eating KFC's popcorn chicken. Their chicken is delicious, but I never eat there anymore.

You haven't tried it in the UK then :lol:

I eat at KFC sometimes on my way back from rehearsals late at night, and it gets me by... something of a guilty pleasure if I'm honest. But then on the rarer occasions I eat at Nandos, or when I have a proper roast dinner, I realise "Hmmm, this is what chicken should ACTUALLY be like" :D

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
I have trouble listening to certain songs because of a long-distance relationship that I was in that didn't end well...whenever I hear Dark New Day, The Blank Theory, or Twisted Method, it makes me sad.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Ranch. Loved it. Made me throw up in like 1st grade. Couldn't even stand the smell until I was in my mid-20's. Still won't eat it ever, but I don't immediately wretch anymore.

Mike

Reaction score
I won't touch any sour cream and onion flavored snacks anymore after a bad plane ride about 13 years ago caused me to get sick all over the back seat of a family members car. Can still taste them :barf:
ritz-crackers-sour-cream-59084.jpg

Edika

Reaction score
You haven't tried it in the UK then :lol:

I eat at KFC sometimes on my way back from rehearsals late at night, and it gets me by... something of a guilty pleasure if I'm honest. But then on the rarer occasions I eat at Nandos, or when I have a proper roast dinner, I realise "Hmmm, this is what chicken should ACTUALLY be like" :D

If you think KFC in the UK is bad then you should try it in France. It is inedible and the worse part is that crispy skin crust is a soggy mess.
UK KFC is a major improvement or at least in Northern Ireland. But yes Nando's is really superior to KFC.

I couldn't drink Retsina (resinated wine) for several years after I got really dunk on it and had one of the worst hangovers in my life. Just the thought of it made me nauseous.
I can't listen to Remedy Lane by POS and especially Undertow. I was in a really bad place in my life back when the album came out and was listening to it constantly. It's not an album to listen when you're down anyway but whenever it pops up it just brings back all those negative emotions.

bpprox22

String Breaker
Reaction score
Pretty much finding a hair in any food will make me stay far away from it for as long as possible. I understand it's not the food's fault but that is just one of those most disgusting, stomach turning moments that a human can experience.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
It is inedible and the worse part is that crispy skin crust is a soggy mess.

That describes KFC Chicken in general... Popeyes Spicy FTW!:lol:

I can no longer eat Skittles after overdosing on a 1lb bag when I was a kid. I barfed them up latter that night, now they are off the menu permanently. Tequila is also no longer an option, the mere scent will make me gag.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Vinegar. I used to like it, but then in Uni, some butterfingers spilled a 4L bottle of concentrated acetic acid on the floor and ever since, the smell of vinegar has made me feel like I'm in a chemical factory.

Somewhat related story. It took me until my mid twenties before I realized eating red onions gave me horrible cramps and headaches and made me feel violently ill. Just the red ones.

As for music, I wouldn't know where to start. Pretty much every song takes me somewhere in the past, but I can't think of anything that I used to really like that I don't anymore.

watson503

Los Cochinos
Reaction score
Green beans. During a good part of my 4 year unpaid state vacation, I worked in the kitchen. One day during lunch, an inmate returned to the serving line and showed his tray to the kitchen Sgt - there was part of a rat in the green beans...Not a minute later another inmate walked up and goes "I don't think this was on the menu..." - his green beans had the back potion and tail of what was most likely the same rat. The next day, one of the cooks was dumping more cans of green beans into a pot and a whole rat was found. Needless to say, I'm not fond of green beans anymore.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I literally shuddered reading that. :ugh: I don't even have words.

I've been vegetarian for a number of years now. It started when I was a kid and just didn't like the taste of meat, but came to a conclusion when I ordered Chick Fil-a and got a battered and fried chicken turd in my nuggets. That was my "ok, that's it" moment.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Speaking of alcohol! Oooooooohhhhu got another one! (Don't read if you hate poop jokes)

Got so drunk off peppermint schnapps in undergrad (Christmas party) that after throwing up and having a ludicrous hangover, my poops smelled like peppermint for 3 days. Like, the first day I thought it was still in my pores or something. By the third evening of showering & eating like a regular human I realized what was up. The schnapps. I also hate febreeze peppermint scent remover, because well, it's basically the same thing.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Headstocks with 3 tuners and one side and 4 on another side.

Education System because my teachers were dicks for most part.

Bands who label themselves prog and start a song with tessarect like cleans.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
Also,
Girls who say 'like' a lot

People who use the term 'the whole world' and then proceed to talk about only US or part of Europe.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Also,
Girls who say 'like' a lot

People who use the term 'the whole world' and then proceed to talk about only US or part of Europe.

Bro, girls who say "like" a lot are like, some of the most fun women out there. Considering its most of them. So like, titties and stuff.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
1: Why headstocks : I don't know why but the thing that attracted me to guitar was the symmetry of the headatock and classical guitar. Tastes changed and I love 7 string inline headstocks. I know this is a pointless ground to hate headstocks (guitar racism if you will).

2: Education System : Took my money, gave me a meaningless certificate that was of no use. Forced me to learn lot of meaningless crap which was obsolete by the time I was done. Teachers who used students to remove their daily frustrations

3: Prog bands (and tessarect like cleans) : Prog doesn't mean anything. Bands that call themselves prog and write ambivalent songs with lyrics about some random sci fi .... melded with some emo ..... Then they play their clean tessarect patch. This while thing is so cringy

4: Girls who say like a lot : Every girl I knew who used like a lot, turned out to a real pain in the ass. There is a guy version of these people, guys who use the term bro with everyone

5: People who use 'the whole world' and proceed to talk about only US/Europe : Basically every idiotic SJW who has no idea about anything he is talking about.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
First time I got drunk at a party in high school, some guy drank a ton of vodka and vomited weird green chunks all over my leg. The smell of vodka reminds me of those chunks every time, so I just avoid it.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
1.) Random loud noises-Even though I work in a factory, sometimes I'll be deep in thought while at work and then someone will throw a huge hunk of metal in the scrap bin and make a loud noise and it pisses me off. Same kind of thing happens at home. I'll be in thought and one of the cats will knock something off onto the floor and I'll get pissed just like that.

2.) When I'm wearing earplugs at work and I do something to catch the string. Don't know if anyone's ever done this before but when they're still attached to each other by the string, and something glides along it before it tries to pull them, it makes a terrible sound following by a thud from your earplugs not wanting to come out. Don't ask me how or why that happens, it just does.

broj15

Reaction score
I can't hack cilantro or grapes. I went to a cookout one time and someone brought guacamole with cilantro (normal) and fvcking GRAPES (what the hell?) and I got hella sick off of it. The smell/taste of either nauseates me.

99 Berries/99 Bananas or any other variant. Easily the most drunk/sick from being drunk I've ever been. Probably shoulda went to the hospital. Once again, the smell/taste makes me gag.

Countless bands & songs I can't listen to because of past relationships. Can't listen to Xiu Xiu - La Foret as it was the album my most recent ex and I listened to the first time we hung out/kissed. I hate Marilyn Manson for sort of similar reasons. I never liked Marilyn Manson, but one of my ex's loved him so I was inundated with him for 2+ years. Now that we're not together I'll be damned if I ever have to listen to Manson again.

I'll decide I dislike a band with out even listening to them solely based on their fan base. Examples include djent, pop punk, and prog.