Neil Peart has passed away

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I received the news about 30 minutes ago. I'm absolutely gutted... I sure as hell know what I'm doing this weekend. Already have Permanent Waves playing right now.

Same. As soon as I get home from work I'm climbing on the kit and not getting off for the rest of the night.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Same. As soon as I get home from work I'm climbing on the kit and not getting off for the rest of the night.
That's awesome, wish I had a kit to do the same. I don't have a single guitar setup anywhere close to standard but I'm going to do so just to go play some Rush songs, especially ones that Neil wrote.

r33per

Reaction score
Properly sad news. Loved his drumming, his music and his poetry. What a legend.

metalstrike

I love signature guitars!
Reaction score
Always knew about and respected Rush as a band but I’ve only just started getting really into them a few months back. Neil was incredible and probably the biggest influence to many of my favorite drummers. Very sad news.

RIP

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Oh my god! This is random and unexpected. I wonder what happened. Never heard he had any issues he was struggling with. I'm in total disbelief.
I'm going drinking tonight and loading the juke with Rush, and I've only had about a dozen drinks in the last 20 years since I quit.
RIP.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Oh my god! This is random and unexpected. I wonder what happened. Never heard he had any issues he was struggling with. I'm in total disbelief.
I'm going drinking tonight and loading the juke with Rush, and I've only had about a dozen drinks in the last 20 years since I quit.
RIP.

Brain cancer. Had it for about 4 years apparently.

Dude was notorious for being extremely private.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I thought Mike Portnoy's tribute to Neal shed some light on how great a person he was in his private life. I'll post it below for others who are interested.

Apparently he battled brain cancer for 3 years, which I believe is roughly contemporaneous with his decision to step away from music and from Rush.

67 is young indeed. However, it is difficult to imagine someone who has had a greater impact on progressive rock, drumming, and the Canadian music scene. He lived a very full life in spite of its brevity.

He'll be missed.

MIKE PORTNOY:

It absolutely breaks my heart to pieces to get the news of the passing of one of my greatest heroes of all time. Neil Peart will always be a mentor and a hero to me and his influence on me as a drummer for the past 40 years is absolutely impossible to measure.

But beyond that, over the past 15 years or so, he’s become a friend...always such a gentleman and a gracious host. Always inviting me to come to soundcheck and spend some time before the show whenever Rush was passing through. Always sending complimentary copies of his new books, or Holiday emails with pictures of he and his young daughter Olivia.

I have so many memories through the years, but probably the most Special was the last time I saw him. I took my son Max to see Rush on their farewell tour as I wanted him to see the band before they retired...Neil ever the incredible gracious host invited us to soundcheck, let Max play his drums, gave him a pair of sticks and an autographed snare drum head and opened up his dressing room to us for the evening. The point is, if you were his guest you were family.

I could go on and on and on but I need to process this.

Sadly, I’ve known about Neil’s declining health for a few years now and always feared this news...but I am still shaken to the core in shock.

My deepest condolences go out to Geddy and Alex, to Carrie and Olivia, to Michael and Lorne and Chris S, to Ray and Pegi, and to all of his faithful fans all around the world of which I will always be one of the biggest.

Rest In Peace Bubba
You will always be my hero
RIP Neil Peart

Avedas

Reaction score
Damn, RIP to a legend. Rush was the band that got me into playing music. Glad I got to see Neil play a few times.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Brain cancer. Had it for about 4 years apparently.

Dude was notorious for being extremely private.

It's beautiful how the band and many of his peers knew about his condition but all kept it quiet out of upmost respect to Neil and his family. He got to spend his last years at home with his family, hopefully in peace, without all of his fans knowing/worrying about his condition.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Another legend lost to cancer.

RIP..

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
*** Caution to anyone who puts money in a juke box to hear some Rush to pay tribute. ***

I went to the bar as planned. Took a shot for Neil. Loaded Juke box with Rush and waited a long time. It never came on. I went to bar tender and asked why I'm not hearing my songs. It turns out on this juke box people can pay extra to skip ahead in line of your songs, so not only didn't I get to hear any Rush I had to hear country and hip hop all night and got ripped off my money too because the bar closed before my songs came up in line. Didn't even get a credit. Came home and have been listening to my Rush albums for the rest of the night. Should have stayed home to start with.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The radio station I listened to in Detroit publicly announced Neil's death (erroneously) back in the mid-late 90's, and it hit me hard. That did not make taking this news in any easier.

Why does brain cancer take so many musicians?

My heart goes out to Neil's wife and young daughter.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I shared this sad news with my wife. She didn't know Rush. Tonight, she asked me to play something while she was cooking. I played "Subdivision" on YouTube. She said she digs it. It brought me memories.

Thanks for the music Neil!

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I was reading up on him and learned about how he lost his wife of 23 years to cancer back in the 90's and also lost his only child. He later apparently was married again and had another child from what I understand. Never really read up on him at all but always loved Rush's music. To bad he had to die for me to look further in to him.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I was reading up on him and learned about how he lost his wife of 23 years to cancer back in the 90's and also lost his only child. He later apparently was married again and had another child from what I understand. Never really read up on him at all but always loved Rush's music. To bad he had to die for me to look further in to him.
If you haven't already, I highly recommend watching the Rush documentary from 2010, not the one from 2017 though. The 2017 was not worth watching.

')