NEMECIDE - Do You Read Sutter Kane? (S2.0, Painkiller, DSL100)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is our newest song and the final track on our first CD. This is our first tune using an alternate tuning as well (BEADGBE). I recorded this mainly to test to see how Buddy's Marshall DSL100 sounded direct using impulses. While this is not the final mix, I think it came out well. I welcome any of your feedback :)

Here's the rundown of what I used:

Guitar: Ibanez S7320
Amps: Marshall DSL100 (all)
Cabinet: N/A (impulse = 4x12 w/ V30s)
Pickup: Bare Knuckle 'Painkiller' (bridge), Ibanez stocker (neck - intro part)
Mic: N/A (impulse = SM57 straight on, I5 45 deg angle)
Bass: Rogue 5-string :)noplease:)
Drums: DFH Superior 2.0 (I'm new to this prog, still trying to figure it out)
Misc: Presonus Firepod, Cakewalk Sonar 7 Pro, iZotope plugins, Ampeg 8x10 impulses for the bass, etc. Also I think the drums might be aligned wrong, my drummer coded this using a different program so I'm not sure if it all lines up with what I have haha.

[media]http://www.nemecide.com/2232[/media]

A quick note on the BKP Painkiller: man is this thing cool. It's extremely tight and has a wicked high-mid snarl (you can really hear it during the interlude/breakdown parts). Real cool lead tones as well. I think this would fare better w/ my VHT though, as the Marshall already has a crunchy bright sound like this pickup. I imagine the Painkiller would be awesome for an 8-string or any mahogany guitar - I love it. Supreme 'djent' if you will, not as thick as the Warpig, Nailbomb, or Miracle Man, but it fits in perfect in the mix. :metal:

Anyways thanks for looking! :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zapper1986

death metal southpaw
Reaction score
sounds good man.

ps. in the mouth of madness was a sweet movie

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Man, that sounds fucking brutal. I think I'm going to slaughter puppies or something.

Thanks Stichasaurus :)

sounds good man.

ps. in the mouth of madness was a sweet movie

Yeah my drummer is a big horror fan, he and I wrote this song together. His band moniker isn't "HP Lovethrash" for nothing!

chimp_spanner

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
I second both those motions - both the song, and the movie are ace :]

It used to scare the shit out of me when I was little. Now it's just hilarious, watching Sam Neill transform from a well groomed fraud investigator into a total nut job with crosses scribbled on his face. lulz.

The pickups sound badass too man. Very nice work!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I second both those motions - both the song, and the movie are ace :]

It used to scare the shit out of me when I was little. Now it's just hilarious, watching Sam Neill transform from a well groomed fraud investigator into a total nut job with crosses scribbled on his face. lulz.

The pickups sound badass too man. Very nice work!

Thanks Paul ! Yeah the movie is pretty cheesy but it was cool.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I like what i've heard!

but im not using the house's internet, and shit takes forever to load.

keep it up!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I like what i've heard!

but im not using the house's internet, and shit takes forever to load.

keep it up!

Thanks, yeah it's about 9MB. You could always use the download link instead of streaming :)

Lucky Seven

Lucky☆Seven
Reaction score
A quick note on the BKP Painkiller: man is this thing cool. It's extremely tight and has a wicked high-mid snarl (you can really hear it during the interlude/breakdown parts). Real cool lead tones as well. I think this would fare better w/ my VHT though, as the Marshall already has a crunchy bright sound like this pickup. I imagine the Painkiller would be awesome for an 8-string or any mahogany guitar - I love it. Supreme 'djent' if you will, not as thick as the Warpig, Nailbomb, or Miracle Man, but it fits in perfect in the mix. :metal:

Anyways thanks for looking! :wavey:

I know the Painkiller doesn't sound like an X2N (I also know you're not a fan of the X2N), but let's say that I have a all mahogany guitar that I think sounds perfect with the X2N. Are the qualities of the Painkiller that different? I mean, would a person that thinks the X2N is perfect for 80's metal and NEEDS to push an amp into proper gain love the Painkiller for the same reasons?

BTW, I loved that song.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
What a fantastic song title. :metal:

Indeed Chris :agreed:

I know the Painkiller doesn't sound like an X2N (I also know you're not a fan of the X2N), but let's say that I have a all mahogany guitar that I think sounds perfect with the X2N. Are the qualities of the Painkiller that different? I mean, would a person that thinks the X2N is perfect for 80's metal and NEEDS to push an amp into proper gain love the Painkiller for the same reasons?

BTW, I loved that song.

The short answer to your question is yes. The Painkiller is much more organic and clear than the X2N however. The Painkiller isn't quite as hot, but it doesn't need to be. With this Marshall I had plenty more gain on tap if I needed it, and I think it was plenty saturated - and I was using the Lead 1 channel.

The Painkiller reminds me more of the Evo7 than the X2N. Imagine a more organic and tight version of the Evo7 or EMG 81. Honest to God, every single BKP I've tried blows away everything else I've ever heard in 10 years of experience - by a wide margin. The Painkiller, while not my favorite BKP, is no different.

Check out -Nolly-'s youtube videos of this pickup as well if you get the chance. It sounds great in his Blackmachine.

Thanks about the liking the song as well :)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol: You already know what I'm going to say, Nick.

Actually Bob I was looking forward to seeing what you had to say. I know you loved all the other stuff, but this is fairly different so I wasn't sure :wub: