Neural DSP - ARCHETYPE : NOLLY

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vertibration

Reaction score
I guess we'll inevatbly get to those sooner or later ;).

Yea, so far other companies have fallen pretty short on authenticity. A few Diesel, and Bogners have released lately, and they haven't been too great. Im sure Neural can nail those just as well as the Fortins

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Nolly already has MIDI learn capabilities so you can easily control parameters and switch presets with an external controller!

Especially if you run it in Standalone, not even a DAW would be required. All you'd need is an interface, laptop, and a MIDI switching system.

We are working to add this fetaure on the other products as well.

That will definitely be a welcome feature, as well as including a tuner at some point as you mentioned earlier.

One more feature for consideration: I don't find the meters as they are right now to be all that useful without a numeric scale for reference as to where 0 dB lies. Maybe consider replacing them with a pop-out VU meter to assist with setting input levels? As I've learned over time, just because my interface is showing "green" on the input indicator doesn't always mean that it's not within clipping range in my DAW or elsewhere.

Nothing as of yet, we've gotten quite a few requests from several artists and brands recently, but we have been forced to decline many of them so we can stay focused.

But I will keep that in mind, I have no contact with Strymon but the Walrus guys had been Darkglass' neighbours at NAMM many years and good dudes! Same goes for Earthquaker, great pedal company and awesome people running it.

A small digital modeling pedal sounds like it would be an adventurous task for most of those companies you mentioned, save maybe for Strymon. I wonder if companies who are making multifunction modelers like Line 6, Mooer, Headrush, etc. might be more well-equipped to put together something user friendly and not totally outside of their wheelhouse.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I guess we'll inevatbly get to those sooner or later ;).
Please PLEASE add a Super Kraken to that list, with the matching Victory 2x12 cab. Or do a Rabea Massad Archetype signature, whichever.

I'd click instabuy as soon as the Instagram promo video started.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Hey guys. Since the Nolly plugin is getting all the love, do you think it will be enough just for home recording? Here's my idea:

- selling my Helix LT and getting the HX Stomp only for live playing. But it doesn't have the XLR to go directly to PA, right? If so this is the only thing that's bugging me
- getting the Nolly plugin for home recording and playing. I record my own stuff and I'm wondering if it'll deliver sounds that fit my needs. I'll try it over the weekend and see if it sounds good enough.

You'll propably say "why you don't use the Helix for all that?" Well, it only sounds good when playing live in my situation. Maybe it's the monitors fault but it just doesn't sound so good while playing at home and it slays at rehealsals.
Nolly plugin is made stricte for playing at home through monitors and that's why this idea pierced my tiny mind.

Thanks in advance for the tips and pros/cons and sorry for the offtop.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
- selling my Helix LT and getting the HX Stomp only for live playing. But it doesn't have the XLR to go directly to PA, right? If so this is the only thing that's bugging me
- getting the Nolly plugin for home recording and playing. I record my own stuff and I'm wondering if it'll deliver sounds that fit my needs. I'll try it over the weekend and see if it sounds good enough.

You'll propably say "why you don't use the Helix for all that?" Well, it only sounds good when playing live in my situation. Maybe it's the monitors fault but it just doesn't sound so good while playing at home and it slays at rehealsals.
First off, the HX Stomp does have balanced output. You would just need a balanced TRS cable that has an XLR at one end.

What setup are you using live? If you're using a poweramp into a cab, it may just be that you don't like playing through monitors. I don't personally. That means it doesn't matter whether you get the best amp sim in the world, you'll still be limited because you're playing through monitors.

vertibration

Reaction score
Hey guys. Since the Nolly plugin is getting all the love, do you think it will be enough just for home recording? Here's my idea:

Nolly plugin is made stricte for playing at home through monitors and that's why this idea pierced my tiny mind.

Thanks in advance for the tips and pros/cons and sorry for the offtop.

Do you use 3rd party IR's for Helix? I would have to say the Nolly plugin, or any of the plugins from Neural for me sound better than Helix.

What I am waiting for is a proper EVH 5150 III from Neural. I used to have that head, and miss it terribly. I'd love to see that head emulated.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
First off, the HX Stomp does have balanced output. You would just need a balanced TRS cable that has an XLR at one end.

What setup are you using live? If you're using a poweramp into a cab, it may just be that you don't like playing through monitors. I don't personally. That means it doesn't matter whether you get the best amp sim in the world, you'll still be limited because you're playing through monitors.

Yes, live I use the LT -> poweramp -> cab. I've had Pod HD some years ago and actually it sounded much better with cheaper speakers so I'm just confused at the moment.

Do you use 3rd party IR's for Helix? I would have to say the Nolly plugin, or any of the plugins from Neural for me sound better than Helix.

What I am waiting for is a proper EVH 5150 III from Neural. I used to have that head, and miss it terribly. I'd love to see that head emulated.

I normally use the stock cabs because I never found good souding 3rd party. I've never bought any because they can be expensive (sad reactions only) so that's may be the problem - the free ones maybe just suck.

brandon7s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I normally use the stock cabs because I never found good souding 3rd party. I've never bought any because they can be expensive (sad reactions only) so that's may be the problem - the free ones maybe just suck.

I've tried packs from most of the well known IR brands. My recommendation is to buy a Heavy Hitter pack from OwnHammer and call it a day. They are incredibly high quality and offer a good amount of variety and their IR mixes are pretty dang good so you don't have to go through the trouble of mixing them yourself unless you want something very, very specific.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
I've tried packs from most of the well known IR brands. My recommendation is to buy a Heavy Hitter pack from OwnHammer and call it a day. They are incredibly high quality and offer a good amount of variety and their IR mixes are pretty dang good so you don't have to go through the trouble of mixing them yourself unless you want something very, very specific.

Mainly high gain tones and ambient cleans

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score

I just bought the Heavy Hitter pack solely because of your post (well, also because a ton of people have praised it over the years). Hope I won't be disappointed. ;)

Edit: I wasn't disappointed. :D

Last edited:

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I recorded with it in demo mode yesterday, then committed the tracks.
I have just a touch more to do, then I'll post a clip of it.
This plugin is the only instantiation on these tracks, no others, ie; no other eq's, comps, delays/reverbs, etc...
Looking forward to posting these, and providing a related review of my experience with it.

Nolly for the win!

brandon7s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mainly high gain tones and ambient cleans
If you have a particular fondness of Fender or Vox cleans and also like Mesa's cabs then I'd go with their Core Tone Bundle. There's a nice Marshall cab in there too which I use for a lot of things, though it doesn't really do metal all that well. I do like the Recto cab in there though and that does high gain tones very well. The pack is 20 bucks less than either of the two Heavy Hitter packs but obviously doesn't include as many high-gain focused cabs as either of those two, but it does have more variety. If you're not a big Fender or Vox tone lover then I'd go with Heavy Hitter II. It has two 2x12 and two 4x12 and includes more variety than volume one which has four different 4x12s. Personally I like using 2x12s for cleans.

I just bought the Heavy Hitter pack solely because of your post (well, also because a ton of people have praised it over the years). Hope I won't be disappointed. ;)

Edit: I wasn't disappointed. :D
Glad to hear it! I'm also a big fan of their Massively-Multi Mic'd cab libraries, too, particularly the 412 MRBW GNR one; it's by far the most versatile single-cab collection I've ever seen and there's not a bad sound to be had in there.

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm gonna have to eat my words a bit here.. I always see a huge lack of content for the cleaner side of any new guitar plugins these days so when they uploaded that mix walkthrough I got super intrigued.

I ended up putting together a quick video using a lot of those same stock presets:

I'd love to see this company make dedicated lower gain plugins with the same intent they put into the higher gain market

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
Facing problems loading the plugin in Garageband . It gives me a pace service not running message. I have contacted ok n apparently it is a known issue with dsp neural products. Is anyone using Garageband?

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
Facing problems loading the plugin in Garageband . It gives me a pace service not running message. I have contacted ok n apparently it is a known issue with dsp neural products. Is anyone using Garageband?
meant iLok .. auto correct is stupid

Controsol

Reaction score
Hi

I need help, I'm use a apogee ensemble thunderbolt and not problem with archetype plug neural, but with nolly I can't listening anything. I have signal in apogee, but nolly look disconnect, not signal

Anyone can help?

Thanks

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Hard to guess what is your problem actually but the lack of sound usually comes from wrong Asio settings. Try to check on that first. If you use it as standalone, there's dedicated button for audio settings.

')