Neuroscience and guitar

classicalmetal24

Reaction score
Hi friends, lately I have been curious about neuroscience and guitar, I want to learn more about the brain and nervous system to help explain exactly what is going on when us musicians are learning to play. I don't want some brief little explanation, I want a detailed analysis into the study of this topic, so I would ask you guys to help my search for material regarding this.

Please post any scholarly articles and studies onto this forum. Thank you.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I don't know of any topical online articles, but I can recommend a couple of interesting reads on the subject. They deal more with music as a whole as opposed to specifically learning an instrument, but there is a great deal of crossover.

Music, The Brain, And Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination by Robert Jourdain

This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel J. Levitin

Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain, Revised and Expanded Edition by Oliver Sacks

These three are often clumped together if you search for them on Amazon. I've read the first two but not the third even though I own all three. Some really cool tidbits throughout them all!

Hope that helps.

ascl

Reaction score
I'm definitely interested, but didn't have anything to add to what SilenceIsACrime said. Read the books, they are very interesting.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I don't want some brief little explanation, I want a detailed analysis into the study of this topic, so I would ask you guys to help my search for material regarding this.

Please post any scholarly articles and studies onto this forum. Thank you.

This reads like: "Do this for me. I insist. I don't want to look for anything on my own."

And then you post an antagonistic thing like your last post. How about You contribute with an article or 2?

classicalmetal24

Reaction score
This reads like: "Do this for me. I insist. I don't want to look for anything on my own."

And then you post an antagonistic thing like your last post. How about You contribute with an article or 2?

Hmmm no, going on a forum and asking for material is a good idea. It's a good idea because there could be potentially someone with a lot of information on said topic, sorry you don't like it but that is just one method i'll use to acquire information, sorry you don't like my methods. You say "I don't want to look for anything on my own" because in your perspective you believe me posting on a forum asking for information doesn't count as searching. It's funny how people have a different train of thought.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I've got two of the books listed but sadly haven't gotten around to reading them (and worse - loaned them out!) I have however read Beethoven's Anvil, and that's worth a read.

Of course, you'll realize soon that your question is really what's problematic here. There is no concrete answer for any quest beginning with "I want to understand exactly what is going on in the brain when [x]", only theories, conflicting theories, and theories at entirely different levels of detail.

And kickstarting a thread with some articles you've found is always a smart approach. You could start by going to Fred Lerdahl's page and seeing what free stuff you can glean there.

')