Never played before.

• Thread starter stfx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

stfx

Reaction score
Oh dear... I don't think I'll ever get my fingers to get to the next string&fret fast enough after hearing the first note. -__-

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
Alright thanks guys!! :)
I'm doing pretty good so far being my second day, I am currently trying to learn Seven Nation Army, by The White Stripes. Thanks for the help. :]

Edit: How do i play this? Do i hit those strings open in one stroke? or.. in singlets.
e---------------------------------------------------|
C#---------------------------0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
A-----------------------------0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
E-0-0------------------------0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
A-0-0--5-5-5-5--5-5-5-5---0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
E-0-0--3-3-3-3--3-3-3-3---0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|

my 14 year old son plays this one alot. :shred:
the beginning is only one string. the chords later on are totally different. learn the single string intro first ;) i hate the webste but its good for tabs,check out www . ultimate-guitar . com

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
I used to own that Ibanez and it's a damn good beginner guitar. Add in that you got a valveking as your first amp, and I'd say you got a fantastic beginning setup. Whoever bought that for you, had a pretty good idea of what to buy for a beginning guitarist. Congrats!

I've given lessons from time to time and I can't stress enough the importance of developing correct technique. Learn to train your ear to hear when you're out of tune, learn relative and harmonic tuning, and learn all of your basic chords and scales. Another big thing to learn is rhythm. In fact, much of my first few lessons consists of learning and practicing rhythms. Afterward I see that they have a much sturdier picking hand, then I have them start doing scales and chords. I also ask them to try to sing the notes and chords they play. It's not to teach them to sing, but to train them to recognize those notes and chords. It will go a LONG way to memorizing them and ultimately learning to compose in your head and be able to play "the notes in your head"

A couple pieces of advice I have for you along the way:
1. Meet and befriend every guitarist you encounter. Pick their brain in hopes of learning something new. I've been playing for 8 years now, and I STILL learn all kinds of new stuff just from jamming with people.

2.) As important as practicing is, learn to take breaks too. this leads me to the next one

3.) NEVER PLAY THROUGH PAIN!!!!!! If you feel you are starting to cramp up, STOP PLAYING. Tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome can ruin your ability to play for the rest of your life. I'd say 1-2 hours/day should be all you really need for practice. The key is to practice a little bit every day instead of 12 hours in a day, once a week. The consistency there will allow you to progress, but without straining yourself.

4.) When learning songs, try to understand what chords/scales are being used there as opposed to "Hey, I just learned ____'s song _____." Try to understand what the guitarist is doing and it will go a long way towards you being able to find your own voice on the guitar, and mastering key concepts in it.

If you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.

megano28

7 String Newbie
Reaction score
hey man, just know that a really crucial part of learning guitar is patience. Some people don't want to practice the right way so they don't get very far in terms of skill, just try to take things slow and make sure you fully master something before you decide to up the intensity...that could be the difference between you playing cleanly or sloppily

kevyp12

Reaction score
i had a class at a my high school freshman year but it only taught the VERY basics. hell, not even a lot, only some chords. i learned technique all by myself and i dont mean to sound boastful, but i am very good. i practice alot though everyday. rather than hangin out with friends ill be at home practicing, but you have to love it to do it. if you love it enought and have the drive, you will get better. just look up tabs for your favorite songs and try to learn that song with proper technique. also use youtube for vids on tips. thousands of videos on there for everything you need

whiskey5

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys!! :)
I'm doing pretty good so far being my second day, I am currently trying to learn Seven Nation Army, by The White Stripes. Thanks for the help. :]

Edit: How do i play this? Do i hit those strings open in one stroke? or.. in singlets.
e---------------------------------------------------|
C#---------------------------0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
A-----------------------------0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
E-0-0------------------------0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
A-0-0--5-5-5-5--5-5-5-5---0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
E-0-0--3-3-3-3--3-3-3-3---0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|

Check out this video lesson on that song:

Hope your enjoying it, although I can't see how one would not enjoy learning the guitar.

Great advice you've gotten as well. :agreed:

7StringedBeast

Random Fingers
Reaction score
My 2 cents: buy the whole Troy Stetina collection and take your time to learn it. Maybe in 4 or 5 years you will be in pretty good shape.

If you have any questions in the process, I am sure you will find people to answer them on this forum.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
My 2 cents: buy the whole Troy Stetina collection and take your time to learn it. Maybe in 4 or 5 years you will be in pretty good shape.

If you have any questions in the process, I am sure you will find people to answer them on this forum.

:agreed:

The Troy Stetina series is a great series of books. I bought the thrash metal one and learned how to write some awesome thrash, and used some of those techniques later on to learn death metal. I've scanned through some of his lead guitar books while browsing at GC and they look to be pretty solid lead exercises.

WickedSymphony

Reaction score
A couple pieces of advice I have for you along the way:

One more I'd like to add, and as quoted from Mr. Vai - "Protect your ears better than you protect your penis."

They're your single most important tool as a musician, so take good care of 'em. Don't blast glaringly loud music in your ears 24/7, wear plugs when you go to concerts, etc.

chucknorrishred

Reaction score
Just look up back tracks on utube, some have scales as a guide.

Learn single string scales and play them as power vhords, the major scale is a good starter scale, look for scale patterns on the internet for FREE,

If u want to learn EVERYTHING about guitar them go pay someone that knows or enroll in guitar collage, but if u just want to jam a lil then play some scales and play some songs u like

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Hey guys, just a little update & question.
I'm doing quite good... I can play
No Pity For A Coward tab (ver 2) by Suicide Silence @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com
with mistakes...out of 10 i'd give my mistakes a 5-7.
One question, My guitar sounds funny when i play 2 strings...
Say A and than E and it sound's all Smashed together and gross, Especially when I strum.

You're probably just out of tune, if only slightly. Make sure to buy a decent tuner ASAP as being in pitch is pretty important for developing an ear for music.

Also, you do know they tune to drop A right? That's AEADGB on your six-string, although IIRC they use sevens.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
Hmm, Well I'm trying to learn the intro of Crazy Train by Ozzy. My amp sounds comes out sort of clean even with gain maxed. Sigh :/
Can anybody help me getting the more grindy sound in my amp like in the song?

A Valveking can be a bit tricky, I know since it's my main amp. What you gotta do is that you get guitar cable and put both ends through the holes that says Effects, as in the first picture. It'll really tighten up your sound:)

You can also get a 1/4" jack plug converter (pic 2) and plug it into your first input. Use the second output for playing and you have gotten an even tighter sound!

With all that said, welcome and rock hard!:hbang:

Attachments

• jumper_2.jpg
    jumper_2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 7dayshop-com-3-5mm--6-3mm-standard-headphone-jack-converter-plug.jpg
    7dayshop-com-3-5mm--6-3mm-standard-headphone-jack-converter-plug.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 3

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score

Jakke