Never played before.

• Thread starter stfx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lookralphsbak

Reaction score
I wanted to learn metallica right off the bat, ended up starting simpler than that... Since I started playing in 2004 I pretty much learned songs that were popular, had a 6 string but I was learning Korn, Deftones, attempting Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit... my cool points just went into the negatives hahaha... I eventually started learning Nirvana, The Offspring, Rage Against the Machine, then after I had a solid grasp on playing rhythm I then attempted learning the mighty Metallica. The song Master of Puppets was a huge driving force in getting better at guitar, it's my favorite song by Metallica and all I ever wanted to do was learn that song. My advice to you, choose a song you really want to learn and try your best to learn it. If it's a more complex song then start off simple so you can get a grasp of guitar and once you feel you are ready try learning the song you really wanna learn.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
Oh hey, I got it working with lead volume barely hitting 1 and the guitar volume at 10.!!!
Gain is at 2-4 though to prevent the High pitch sound.

thats feedback :) i watched both vids maing. crank the guitar. crank the gain. well maybe 9 lol. eq it how the others have said. trun off the tv, and pc monitor ;) stand away from the amp, or even just turn away from it when you play. now adjust your amp volume comfortably. i have an older version of your amp with 1 12speaker playing in a bedroom like yours. i rarely get over 1 lol ( i usually play just under 1) on the master volume of the amp :shred:

after you have done this, and realized just how much distortion your amp has you will prolly wanna roll the gain down a bit to play ozzy ;)

stfx

Reaction score
Alright, Thanks all :)
I have a question though, How long does it usually take from First timer to Beginner.
I know it varies but just the average.

lookralphsbak

Reaction score
Alright, Thanks all :)
I have a question though, How long does it usually take from First timer to Beginner.
I know it varies but just the average.
Depends on how much you practice. By the summer of my first year of learning how to play guitar I had a fractured ankle, from skateboarding, so I was playing guitar 10 hrs a day since I couldn't do anything else haha. I'd say I was a beginner for at least 2 years after I had started playing. However there are some kids on youtube that claim to have been playing for a year or two that are better than me (almost 7 yrs of guitar), playing necrophagist songs.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
However there are some kids on youtube that claim to have been playing for a year or two that are better than me (almost 7 yrs of guitar), playing necrophagist songs.
:lol::lol::lol:

about the Feedback...
Try to use a good quality cable, it is really important for
your sound to have a good cable

and about your last question:
i started playing like 7-8 months ago
-it took me like one or two weeks to learn my first full song,
it did't sounded pretty well but i was always getting
a better sound of it
(it was Roulette by System of a down in an acoustic)
-learn all the basics took me around one month
-play clearly, like 6 months
-Strumming and chords.....still having problem with that :wallbash:
-Pinch Harminics, 4 Months maybe?
-Power chords, 2 days?
-my first solo, the Ministry of lost souls, like 2 months, but it sounded
HORRIBLE, im still working in that solo (getting the right tone, etc.)
.....still, i don't know how to shred for too long (no more than 4 seconds)
i don't know anything about Sweep Picking, Arpeggios, or tapping at a decent speed,

so, it really depends on how much time you spend playing, i normally play from 2 hours a day, 3 if there's nothing to do, 4 the weekends and non-stop if there isn't anything else to do, but for my shitty grades this year now i can only play one hour a day ¬¬.....im kind of going off topic :lol: but the most important thing isn't how much time you spend playing, it's more important to play the RIGHT way, rather than do anything for many hours

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Good advice here - I'll add my view on starting guitar.

I started 5 years ago and had a teacher. He was a good songwriter acoustic type who sounded great playing but I doubt would give a thought to technique and strict playing etc. Good for him - he sounded great anyway!
He got me to jam, learn scales, strum chordy songs etc. He was a really good teacher and got me very 'musical'.
I became very comfortable on the guitar but never really thought about HOW I was playing.

Now, being into a lot of music requiring precise advanced technique, I've had to go back and relearn a lot of my playing. I could comfortably run scales at a certain speed with no thought of picking or fingering technique. But it got to the point that I could go no faster without playing 'properly'. I had to sit down and play PAINFULLY slow for weeks using the correct fingers and correct picking techniques to play the same notes that I could already play, properly.

The good bunch of decent metal songs that I could 'play' (comfortably jam along to and sound decent to the average person) I had to play at half speed for many hours with proper technique to relearn them.
I'm getting there now. If I could go back and change my ways, I would sit down and have a potentially painful and boring year learning the guitar from scratch with proper technique, knowing what I know now.

I guess you see where I'm coming from.

Think about where you want to be in a few years time and look into the music that you want to learn. Are you going to be happy just jamming your way along like I did, or are you going to get to a point and say to yourself "Damnit, I can't actually play guitar!".

If I were to teach someone guitar now, I would have this chat with them and make them choose.
If they picked the first way, I would begin by teaching them simple songs, basic scales, jamming.
If they picked the second, I would teach them first about tuning the guitar, fret relations, how it works, picking techniques, one finger per fret techniques, repetitive boring practice with a metronome, etc.

You have to decide what is right for you. For some people, the second way would scare them off as it is no 'fun'. But for me, I'd much rather have been taught like that from day 1.

A balance of both is probably best. I sometimes forget that I have no sense of boredom :lol:

Good luck and enjoy! :hbang:

stfx

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys!! :)
I'm doing pretty good so far being my second day, I am currently trying to learn Seven Nation Army, by The White Stripes. Thanks for the help. :]

Edit: How do i play this? Do i hit those strings open in one stroke? or.. in singlets.
e---------------------------------------------------|
C#---------------------------0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
A-----------------------------0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
E-0-0------------------------0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
A-0-0--5-5-5-5--5-5-5-5---0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|
E-0-0--3-3-3-3--3-3-3-3---0-0-0-0--0-0-0-0---|

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
those are open power chords. so you hit all the 0"s at once and the 3's+5's at once. hope that was helpfull

stfx

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm starting to feel that I'm getting the hang of the guitar, I need help on my fingers through landing on the right strings and Frets.

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
i play 7 strings.
raines fusion elite
guerilla warhawk 7
BRJ jekyll 727
your momma (totally joking bro)

')