Never Thought I'd Say This, But... Recommend Me Some Death Metal

• Thread starter SenorDingDong
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Not the heaviest, but The Sound of Perseverance by Death is one of my favorite albums. Irrespective of genre.

Reaction score
I think others have covered the bases... Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Vader, Cephalic Carnage, etc.

But one of the most under-appreciated death metal bands of all time was Broken Hope. Get Groteque Blessings. The sound itself is not stereotypically djent/brutal, which is kinda nice actually, but the riffs are exquisite...

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Just a sample of Kataplexia for those that have never heard of them:

Soooo goooood!!!!!! :D

Oh and of course I just remembered the mighty Exhumed. Easily one of my biggest influences. Check out their Anatomy is Destiny album. Very heavily influenced by early Carcass, but their lightning fast sliding power chord riffs have become a staple in my own playing. Here's their song Matter of Splatter:

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
:eek: You don't like Fallujah? You're listening to Harvest Wombs, right? Their old stuff was just a little bit blackened deathcore.

Also I don't know how everyone forgot Ulcerate but Everything is Fire is MUST listen.

I listened to Fallujah's latest album. It just wasn't for me :shrug:

Also, nearly all the suggestions I've gotten have been su-fucking-perb. I love all you guys for taking the time to give me some good shit :metal:

Into Obsidian

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
Reaction score
I love all you guys for taking the time to give me some good shit :metal:
134776.jpg

Ambit

Beansack!
Reaction score
not sure if Opeth can really be considered as death metal, but they're my fave band in the world that has that aspect involved.

Mwoit

Reaction score
Bloodbath - Resurrection Through Carnage and The Fathomless Mastery are both awesome, but the former has kinda crappy sounding guitar distortion. Super awesome riffing, but the guitar tone might put some people off.

No Nightmares Made Flesh? Dan Swano is a beast.

theCurse

Reaction score
what about Six Feet Under, or even Malevolent Creation? no one listens to these guys anymore?

barfarkas

Reaction score
been listening to Psycroptic's The Scepter of the Ancients. Creature, Invade by Within the Ruins, not really sure what they would be categorized as but great guitar work. Necrophagist, just the best death metal out there. Gorod is always brilliant. I second Symbolic and Individual Thought Patterns by Death. I'll throw out Suffocations's Pierced from Within as one of my all time favs, and Mafia by Fleshgod Apocalypse.

FruitCakeRonin

ss.reg orgular
Reaction score
You say you don't like chaotic (as I tend to call it) music, so more in the melodic death metal genre maybe?

Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll and Are You Dead Yet, are favourites of mine. Also, yay for nordic metal!

Shadows Fall - The War Within and newer.

Killswitch Engage - I just started listening to them and even though they're Metalcore, I really like what Im hearing.

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
>Bloodbath
>Behemoth
>Death
>Nile (Those whom the Gods Detest, Probably one of my favorite albums of all time)
>Beyond Creation (more crazy prog death metal)
>Goatwhore
>Abysmal Dawn
>Decapitated
>Skinless
>Cryptopsy (None so Vile)
Just a few good ones off the top of my head...

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
Since the thread's been bumped I might as well post some stuff that hasn't been mentioned. Mainly some obscure, old-school death metal I've been getting into lately. You might not like some of the production at the top of the list, but it gets more modern towards the bottom. Here some album recommendations with a selected song from that album:

Morgoth - Resurrection Absurd EP (1989)

Viogression - Expound And Exhort (1991)

Accidental Suicide - Deceased (1992)

Morta Skuld - Dying Remains (1993)

Dissect - Swallow Swouming Mass (1993)

Brutality - Screams of Anguish (1993)

Deteriorate - Rotting In Hell (1993)

Protector - A Shedding Of Skin (1991)

Immolation - Close To A World Below (2002)

(check out some of their older stuff, too)

Insision - Beneath The Folds Of Flesh (2002)

Beyond Creation - The Aura (2011) (proggy tech death? try to get past the breakdown, this album is worth it)

Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt (2004) (melo-death)

Latest posts

')