Nevermore cancels North American Tour dates

• Thread starter AvantGuardian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I guess we are polar opposites, then, since those early albums ARE Nevermore. So many live standards come off the album. Death of Passion has that wicked Tim Calvert riff. Poison God Machine is in every set they have ever done since the album was released. Hell, the first three songs might be the best album opening of all time.

If you don't like Dreaming in Neon black, you don't like Nevermore.

I don't like your Nevermore, perhaps. I like my Nevermore just fine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Valknut

Banned
Reaction score
Politics and Dreaming will always stand to me as their pinnacle achievements of dark, brooding and complex American power/thrash metal, and it's not just about jeff, the combination of jeff, warrel and neil kernon's production is what made the band so amazing to me - everything perfectly complimented everything else.

You know, a lot of people will disagree with that statement. But I agree with it completely. It was more of a group effort on those albums for sure, and it really showed. They're later albums really focused more on how warrel and jeff were the power houses of the band, and it started to get more formulaic as a result. 7 string chugging for verses, melodic choruses with vocal harmonies, and dont forget the jampacked shred filled solos.

Dreaming neon black was a fucking great album, and anyone who disagrees probably just thinks it didn't live up to their expectations that TGE or Dead heart set, and those albums were made after nevermore had become a completely different band. (or got a 7th string lol) nevermore really had a developed sound that they knew inside and out during dreaming neon black and politics of ecstasy, and after dreaming neon black their style was real hit or miss. Everyone liked dead heart, then enemies of reality was ok. everyone liked TGE, then the obsidian conspiracy was ok.

All of my friends thought the song "the politics of ecstasy" sucked ass, and sounded like shit. And then i told them to go look up the fucking lyrics and listen to it again, and then they thought it was amazing because the music fit the theme of the lyrics, and they wouldnt have the song any other way. That is kinda the theme with nevermores older albums. On their newer ones, you can just show a guy one of their songs without letting them hear the lyrics or really pay attention at all to the melodies or structure and they will hear the solo to the psalm of lydia and be like "oh that sounded dope", but with the older albums, everyone in the band came together to create the music, and you have to focus on every individual element and aspect that makes up the songs. I feel like that is what makes a band. Not just a guy who threw down a good solo, or a singer who hit a fatty high note, its the band coming together to make a good song, not a good "part" of the song...

..But this godless endeavor really did kick major fucking ass. lol. It sounds like i favor the old ones more, but i really do enjoy the newer ones as well. Every fucking song on TGE was great. A future uncertain and this godless endeavor were great songs that made me cry a thousand tears of understanding. But i think it is silly to say that their older albums don't compare in their own respect.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is this...Ask yourself this question as a nevermore fan. If nevermore never released an album past dreaming neon black, would you still like them?

The answer to that question really decides whether or not you really like nevermores sound, or you really just like 7 strings and jeff loomis.

Hate me, blame me, persecute and flame me, but that is my opinion. lol

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I guess we are polar opposites, then, since those early albums ARE Nevermore. So many live standards come off the album. Death of Passion has that wicked Tim Calvert riff. Poison God Machine is in every set they have ever done since the album was released. Hell, the first three songs might be the best album opening of all time.

If you don't like Dreaming in Neon black, you don't like Nevermore.

when the riff gets palm muted at the beginning of Death of Passion and your speakers start to sound like they are dying, that's what nevermore is all about to me. :hbang:

I guess what I'm really trying to say is this...Ask yourself this question as a nevermore fan. If nevermore never released an album past dreaming neon black, would you still like them?

The answer to that question really decides whether or not you really like nevermores sound, or you really just like 7 strings and jeff loomis.

real talk.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Older stuff is more musically focused in my opinion.

Newer stuff is much more guitar oriented, which isn't better or worse, but its why I feel Loomis can be replaced if need be.

Valknut

Banned
Reaction score
when the riff gets palm muted at the beginning of Death of Passion and your speakers start to sound like they are dying, that's what nevermore is all about to me. :hbang:

The riff to fault of the flesh made me shit my brains out of my ass right onto the floor. Sounded like machine guns unloading into a pile of diseased meat. :hbang:

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I actually love all of Nevermore's albums and each one has been different from the last. It is great to hear that evolution of a band. Now you get bands that just do the same thing over and over and while Nevermore clearly have their own style going on their albums are pretty varied when you go back and listen to them back to back.

For the record, my favorite Nevermore album is Dreaming Neon Black and my favorite Nevermore song is Poison God Machine but I also really love The Obsidian Conspiracy.

OmertaDave

Reaction score
Nevermore aren't breaking up, my ex just asked Warrel on twitter and he confirmed that they're not, follow the grak vader link on the page to see the question Twitter

Ironbird666

Reaction score
You know. . . .

WELL said. Man, I like the newer stuff they've done, it's solid material and I can appreciate the more technical riffing style and whatnot, but the material pre-DHIADW was much more unique. I really miss the use of dissonance, not many bands I can think of incorporate dissonance into their music and make it seem "catchy" like Nevermore did on DNB. Combine that element with the boomy, out of control production and it's just classic material. THATS the Nevermore I fell in love with. I know a lot of fans may be younger and probably missed that era of the band, but Dreaming Neon Black was a serious HOLY SHIT moment for a lot of metalheads when it dropped because it was very unique at the time. I still catch myself wishing for those DNB style riffs to make an appearance again when a new NM album is released and I'm usually disappointed.

I'm not worried about this situation to be honest. What is it lately with everyone expecting the absolute worst news whenever a band doesn't immediately release a statement?? :scratch:

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Straight from Warrel's Twitter: "Jeff and Van cancelled the tour for personal and family issues"

AirJordanStaal

Reaction score
I'm glad they aren't breaking up (attention whores that start rumors suck btw) but clearly something bad happened here to stop the tour like this. Hopefully everything will end up ok for the guys.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
it's probably going to be a long time before another nevermore album either way. Warrel already has a title for his next solo album, he's working with Lenny on new Sanctuary material and Jeff is writing for a solo album too, so it might be five years again.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
it's probably going to be a long time before another nevermore album either way. Warrel already has a title for his next solo album, he's working with Lenny on new Sanctuary material and Jeff is writing for a solo album too, so it might be five years again.

I really think they're crazy, after TGE I wanted another album so bad, I thought they could go up another level in popularity and become a worldwide metal icon kinda band. The time between albums really sapped that. The Zero Order Phase stuff is amazing, but I would have loved to have seen some of it become Nevermore songs. One man, no matter how inhuman, can only write so many killer riffs, may as well use them to enhance your band's standing!

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I'm still unconvinced, as I chat with Attila and there's no damn break-up talk anywhere in sight. On another notice, I think Attila and I have some collaborative stuff coming up. :)

Anyway, while at the Messe, and while most certainly not expecting both of them to be crying their hearts out for no reason, there was absolutely nothing that could indicate anything wrong happening, and they seemed to be in quite a good mood. Personally, and after being on the road for ages, I know what toll it takes to have something you fought for die; they might be seriously introverted, though. :lol:

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say we can count out "break up" and "rehab" as the reasons.

I just really hope they make another US run sooner than later. Sadly missed them on their headlining tour last year and haven't seen them since Gigantour.

Overtone

Reaction score
Seems like dropping out of tours is the theme lately... I wouldn't be surprised if they initially got on the tour excited about touring w/ Soilwork again and lost their enthusiasm after they dropped out. Not to say that's the only factor, but that it could have been part of it...

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good thing I got to see their headlining tour last year. Hanging out with them after the gig was just icing on the proverbial cake.

They are, indeed, cool people, which makes this all the less fun to be discussing.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, at least nothing's imminent, which is good. I will remain skeptical about seeing another Nevermore album at all, but I'm guessing it's another couple of years away at minimum. Perhaps they'll tour next year, and maybe do the summer festival scene again in Europe this year, but a US tour in 2011 is probably out of the question, just given the logistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')