New 2022 guitars

• Thread starter ZERO1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manu80

Reaction score
yeah..even those jackson purple mirror are not available among other models, 11/16 weeks for EMG, ibanez etc....2022 will be complicated....and we haven't seen the prices increase yet....

einarj

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Solar guitars seems to be going as strong as ever.
I ordered an A1.6 from Solar (my first Solar) and it went across the Atlantic and was in my hands 25 hours later. Meanwhile I'm still waiting on the Ibanez I ordered months ago.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I ordered an A1.6 from Solar (my first Solar) and it went across the Atlantic and was in my hands 25 hours later. Meanwhile I'm still waiting on the Ibanez I ordered months ago.
Anything mass produced is going via shipping (containers and ships are in short supply or are waiting off the coast) air freight is opportunistic and generally faster. I imagine your ibanez is sitting in a container with 2000 other guitars floating in the atlantic.

einarj

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anything mass produced is going via shipping (containers and ships are in short supply or are waiting off the coast) air freight is opportunistic and generally faster. I imagine your ibanez is sitting in a container with 2000 other guitars floating in the atlantic.
That is a pretty likely scenario. I still find it interesting that the more budget friendly option (Solar) can offer a premium delivery service, while the more expensive prestige gets the minimum cost (and minimum customer satisfaction) route. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Elixir is only producing standard 10-46 and some acoustic sets.
Reason being the lack of resources to produce Gore-Tex, which is the coating material for the strings. They needed to ensure the fulfillment of most popular needs (10-46).

The Elixir strings are such a little piece of their business in the grand scheme of things, so they use the material elsewhere where the need is strategically most critical. I think the thicker strings will make a comeback within the next year, but not in the next 6 months. That's just my guess.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Elixir is only producing standard 10-46 and some acoustic sets.
Reason being the lack of resources to produce Gore-Tex, which is the coating material for the strings. They needed to ensure the fulfillment of most popular needs (10-46).

The Elixir strings are such a little piece of their business in the grand scheme of things, so they use the material elsewhere where the need is strategically most critical. I think the thicker strings will make a comeback within the next year, but not in the next 6 months. That's just my guess.

Not to be pedantic, but it's not Gore-Tex, where the "Tex" means "textile" or fabric, that's just the trade name for Gore company's expanded PTFE fabric.

They use a different polymer, albeit PTFE based, for the string coatings.

We use cables and gaskets made by/treated by Gore at work and they're definitely having supply chain issues. Supposedly it has to do with lack of inhibitor needed to ship the bulk product or it's constituents long distance that's the hold up.

Like you said, strings are a minuscule part of their business, which is predominantly making industrial components, so if it becomes untenable to make strings they very well might stop, at least short term.

I play music

Reaction score
Not to be pedantic, but it's not Gore-Tex, where the "Tex" means "textile" or fabric, that's just the trade name for Gore company's expanded PTFE fabric.

They use a different polymer, albeit PTFE based, for the string coatings.

We use cables and gaskets made by/treated by Gore at work and they're definitely having supply chain issues. Supposedly it has to do with lack of inhibitor needed to ship the bulk product or it's constituents long distance that's the hold up.

Like you said, strings are a minuscule part of their business, which is predominantly making industrial components, so if it becomes untenable to make strings they very well might stop, at least short term.
I've heard about Gore-Tex being bad for the environment and that it can cause cancer .. should I avoid Elixir strings?
I didn't know what their coating was or tbh still don't know what it exactly means

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Wait Elixirs have disappeared?

If you walk into most music stores you’re likely to notice that string racks are low on volume with sets missing on any given day. Elixirs in my area are usually just not there at all now. Maybe the 9-42 or 10-46. Maybe.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If you walk into most music stores you’re likely to notice that string racks are low on volume with sets missing on any given day. Elixirs in my area are usually just not there at all now. Maybe the 9-42 or 10-46. Maybe.

That'll do it - I only visit one music store, ever month or two :lol:

FromTheMausoleum

That one guy
Reaction score
I've heard about Gore-Tex being bad for the environment and that it can cause cancer .. should I avoid Elixir strings?
I didn't know what their coating was or tbh still don't know what it exactly means

Idk how else to say it, but just about everything is bad for the environment and also causes cancer.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
PTFE is bad when used in coatings for anything touching food (nonstick pans, etc. It flakes off easily and high heat makes it leach into your food and causes a myriad of pretty bad things to happen to you.

Dark Waters is a pretty good movie about a true story of litigation regarding all that crap.

Sorry for the off topic.

I play music

Reaction score
PTFE is bad when used in coatings for anything touching food (nonstick pans, etc. It flakes off easily and high heat makes it leach into your food and causes a myriad of pretty bad things to happen to you.

Dark Waters is a pretty good movie about a true story of litigation regarding all that crap.

Sorry for the off topic.
Ok so if I put an old coated string in the trash and the trash is burnt, then harmful chemicals end up in the environment?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just got a bass guitar from 2001, y'all are buying from the wrong decade!

')