New 2022 guitars

• Thread starter ZERO1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nickgray

Reaction score
should I avoid Elixir strings?

Avoid strings. Nickel is toxic and carcinogenic.

Although if anything, PTFE itself is actually inert and non-toxic at lower temps (below 200c if I'm not mistaken), so if PTFE is used in Elixirs and there's nothing else "bad" in the coating, they should be, theoretically at least, better :lol: They also treat their plain strings somehow, so there might be a chance you're getting less exposure to nickel from Elixir plains too :lol::lol::lol:

You should also think about stained ebony, any kind of fretboard cleaners/conditioners that you're using, regular nickel frets is an alloy of copper, nickel, and zinc, and you get oxidation on them, so probably some funky stuff on those frets too. What else... nitro is horrible for the environment, and poly apparently isn't that great either (though they're fine once cured).

In short, everything is toxic :lol:

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully I get my Winter NAMM 2020 guitars I preordered for 2022 lol.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I hope Evertune releases a a few dozen signature models.

mxbraud

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What's people's opinions on the D'Addario NY XL(Coated) Strings? Ive been playing guitar since 1989 and for the past 20 years been playing on Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42. I use Fast Fret Religiously and clean my strings every time I play and use the GHS Fast fret. Guy at guitar shop advised me to try the coated strings (never used coated strings before) and they cost almost 3X what the Slinky's do and like to know if they are worth it and the real benefits. Thanks guys.
Going to actually start a thread on this topic

nickgray

Reaction score
D'Addario NY XL

If you mean XT - I tried those, and the plains rusted on me just like regular D'Addarios do. They claim the plains are treated, but whatever they did was no match for my sweat.

NYXL though are uncoated regular strings, they market them as premium strings of some sort. The biggest practical benefit is that they offer single NYXL strings in virtually every gauge imaginable, including lots of weird in-between gauges that no one else bothers with.

Guy at guitar shop advised me to try the coated strings

Get Elixirs. With regards to coated strings, there's a big misconception surrounding them in that everyone pays attention to the wound strings. Elixirs, unlike a lot of other coated strings, also plates their plains with some seriously good corrosion resistant stuff. Which is crucial if regular plains oxidize fast on you.

Try Elixir Optiweb, they have the thinnest coating on the wounds, they almost feel like regular uncoated wounds.

cost almost 3X what the Slinky's do and like to know if they are worth it and the real benefits

Elixirs last for months and months for me without any corrosion on the plains, and the wounds barely get dull. I can destroy regular strings in a matter of hours though - I put a new set of GHS recently on a 7, played for 4 hours, and literally felt the plain string corrode about 3 hours in.

mxbraud

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you mean XT - I tried those, and the plains rusted on me just like regular D'Addarios do. They claim the plains are treated, but whatever they did was no match for my sweat.

NYXL though are uncoated regular strings, they market them as premium strings of some sort. The biggest practical benefit is that they offer single NYXL strings in virtually every gauge imaginable, including lots of weird in-between gauges that no one else bothers with.

Get Elixirs. With regards to coated strings, there's a big misconception surrounding them in that everyone pays attention to the wound strings. Elixirs, unlike a lot of other coated strings, also plates their plains with some seriously good corrosion resistant stuff. Which is crucial if regular plains oxidize fast on you.

Try Elixir Optiweb, they have the thinnest coating on the wounds, they almost feel like regular uncoated wounds.

Elixirs last for months and months for me without any corrosion on the plains, and the wounds barely get dull. I can destroy regular strings in a matter of hours though - I put a new set of GHS recently on a 7, played for 4 hours, and literally felt the plain string corrode about 3 hours in.
So basically, I paid $16 for strings that my $6 Slinky's would do the same??
I play ALOT of Lead shred stuff most of the time and Apply Fast fret, wipe off any Oxidation and then reapply the FF and play then wipe down the strings again. I do this with all my guitars and not sure if switching to a coated string (At 3x+ the cost) is even worthwhile? I'm constantly tweaking and adjusting my guitars when needed and do all my own maintenance and mods to them and this is something all these years that I just ignored (Coated strings).

nickgray

Reaction score
I do this with all my guitars and not sure if switching to a coated string (At 3x+ the cost) is even worthwhile?

I've never found any kind of cleaning, including Fast Fret, to be particularly helpful in my case. It delays the oxidation, but once the plains get even a tiny bit oxidized, I've found that no amount of cleaning can get that back into that pristine condition.

Elixir plains stay in pristine condition for me. No cleaning required.

Look, just buy a set of Optiwebs. Worst case scenario - you've lost around $10, big deal. But at least you've tried the damn thing. Knowing what doesn't work for you is also valuable information. Don't clean them with Fast Fret either, they don't need it (kinda the whole point - set and forget).

mxbraud

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never found any kind of cleaning, including Fast Fret, to be particularly helpful in my case. It delays the oxidation, but once the plains get even a tiny bit oxidized, I've found that no amount of cleaning can get that back into that pristine condition.

Elixir plains stay in pristine condition for me. No cleaning required.

Look, just buy a set of Optiwebs. Worst case scenario - you've lost around $10, big deal. But at least you've tried the damn thing. Knowing what doesn't work for you is also valuable information. Don't clean them with Fast Fret either, they don't need it (kinda the whole point - set and forget).
Thanks for the insight.
I will order some and try them out. The Oxidation is always an issue for me too and I can't stand it also. Having many guitars makes it worse and always changing strings has become an artform for me. lol!

jl-austin

Reaction score
ESP / LTD said they are going to announce their 2022 line up on Jan 14th. Ibanez has already announced a few guitars. I haven't seen an announcement from the Gibson and Fender brands yet.

From what I have seen, don't expect anything within 8 months, and that might even be optimistic.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably not a HUGE market for this here but...

271272642_452295769600451_1251262143681312773_n.jpg

manu80

Reaction score
dumb mode on- never understood this model- dumb mode off
PRS doing a strat. I'm sure it is tweaked to match to today's market but.....
sorry...enlighten me ! ;)

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

It has John Mayer's name on it. The dude sells guitars. :lol:
On top of that people still love vintage-spec'd guitars.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's PRS's best selling model, nothing to understand more than that :lol:

To go more in depth: PRS builds awesome quality guitars, strats are REALLY popular, Mayer is popular, therefore awesome quality PRS Strat with Mayer's name on it sells a boatload of guitars.

ClownShoes

Reaction score
Don't get it either. Why not buy the original thing.. a strat..

I suppose people who do buy them have never heard of srv or eric johnson though :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't get it either. Why not buy the original thing.. a strat..

I suppose people who do buy them have never heard of srv or eric johnson though :lol:

I don't get it. Folks on here go back and forth about the most minute details of shred and metal and ergo guitars, but all Strats are the same. :lol:

It's like asking why bother differentiating between a Soloist and a Horizon, a C1 and an RG.

')