New 2022 guitars

• Thread starter ZERO1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don't get it either. Why not buy the original thing.. a strat..

Pretty sure Mayer used to, but had a falling out with Fender over something. I think they might have not wanted to deviate from the Strat design too much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure Mayer used to, but had a falling out with Fender over something. I think they might have not wanted to deviate from the Strat design too much?

His A&R guy left and management was fairly indifferent to him as an artist, at the time he was still just known as a one hit wonder pop artist who happened to play guitar, and they made the decision to cut his signature model from the lineup, so he told them to fuck off and went with PRS after him, Paul, and some other management guys hung out for awhile. They hit it off and in no time his star rose significantly.

No one has a crystal ball, but you know Fender probably looks back on it as a shit move.

As for the Silver Sky, Mayer has said that he absolutely loves Stratocasters, owned a bunch of them, and still collects vintage ones, but likes PRS, the person and company, so has them build guitars that feel like his Strats. He's pretty upfront about it.

People like Strats. People like John. People like PRS. So these are sort of a win all around.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I suggest playing it before saying '"just go get a Strat". It's quite different feeling.
We should organise some system by which a Silver Sky gets sent to every SSO member for a month to decide once and for all.

NeglectedField

Reaction score
I suggest playing it before saying '"just go get a Strat". It's quite different feeling.

Tried it. It's considerably different to a Strat in feel at least.

On a slightly unrelated tangent, I remember the last Guitar Show in Birmingham I went to (2019/20, I forget which), I went to the PRS stand and just like anywhere else, it was pretty much a free-for-all, try what you want, just be careful sorta dealy. So I give the Mayer sig a go and moments into having a wee twang on the thing, one of the PRS staff is like "you seem to be enjoying that, wanna buy it?" in a sarcastic tone as to imply how dare I be so brazen as to get my grubby mitts on this precious guitar. So I just thought "very well, have it your way" and put it back on its stand. Still, it was long enough to get a feel for the thing. I don't know how the SE will compare but yeah, it was sturdy but if I picked it up blind and wasn't allowed to feel the shape of the horn etc, I'd know it definitely wasn't a Fender.

ClownShoes

Reaction score
I don't get it. Folks on here go back and forth about the most minute details of shred and metal and ergo guitars, but all Strats are the same. :lol:

It's like asking why bother differentiating between a Soloist and a Horizon, a C1 and an RG.
Yeah, just one of those 'let people enjoy things' I suppose.

Fender fucked up not making him happy.

Latest posts

')