New 2x12. Orange, Engl or Mesa?

• Thread starter SSK0909
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SSK0909

Reaction score
My 4x12 barely fits in my new car, and i'm growing increasingly weary of hauling it around every practice session and gig.

So I'm looking to buy a new 2x12 and I'm planning on buying from Thomann since I live in Europe and theyre cheaper than any of the local stores.

I've heard good things about Orange, but nothing on the Engl 2x12's.

Engl's weigh a good 6kg (12 pounds) more than the Orange 2x12, but since I'm primarily after practicality, is there any noticeable sound difference in say bottom end on the much heavier Engl?

Then of course theres also Mesa, but since this is Europe the Mesa cab is 25% more expensive compared to Orange and Engl. So is it worth the extra cost?

Thanks in advance :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xeonblade

Reaction score
I'd say go with Orange. Quality is good enough and tone is great :D
You might also wanna check out 2x12 Stiletto Cab on Thomann its 666e.

iamdunker

Reaction score
All these cabs are great but if it were me, I would look for a used Mesa. My 2 cents.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I loved my Orange cabs, they were great, and they make v30's sound really smooth. Mesa cabs I love as well, and currently rocking one of them. Either of those two will do you well

This. No cab sounds bad or better than the other to me. I will say though, that your back will thank you for getting a Mesa cab because the orange ones are heavy and castorless!

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Mesa has leather which is easy to tear or scuff up. Orange is very bulky and heavy. I don't know much about the engl. I would probably go with a mesa out of those three. I got a vader myself and love it.

SSK0909

Reaction score
From the spec's on Thomann the Orange cab is the lightest of the three?

The Mesa cab also appears to only have a handle on top of the cab, whereas the Orange and Engl have the side mounted metal bars, making it easier for a band mate to help you carry the cab.

2x12 cabs are really rare here in Denmark. Theres only two brands (Marshall and Engl) being sold in the country's largest music store. So I will have to be really lucky to find something used :(

Genome

Reaction score
Yea mesa shit isnt worth it in europe imo

Not if you import! :cool: Still ends up cheaper after even after clearing customs. For heads, anyway. Cabs I'm not sure as the margin between RRP's here is less.

However, it's a moot point. Go with the Orange PPC212.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
If you weren't in Europe I would recommend the Genz-Benz G-flex 2x12 because it sounds monstrous.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I've had all 3 come by the store I work at; tone vs. weight vs. price, the Orange wins IMO.

SSK0909

Reaction score
If you weren't in Europe I would recommend the Genz-Benz G-flex 2x12 because it sounds monstrous.

Feel free to drop by with one ;)

Signalgrey.

How does the blackstar stack up against an Orange? Not a big price difference tbh, a quick calculation said that the Orange 2x12 was only 13% more expensive than Blackstar.

4Eyes

Reaction score
I liked 2x12 orange more than orange 4x12. I've heard both orange and mesa 2x12 side by side long time ago and I don't remember really well which I preferred, but I think they both sounded amazing and you won't make a mistake by choosing either of them. I would choose mesa, just because I like the way it looks more than orange cabs :lol:

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd shoot for the Orange 2x12, with the Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 as an unmentioned runner-up.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
Orange for sure. Have had both the Mesa and Orange and both are solid. In Europe, the Orange is cheaper, sounds just as good as the mesa, and isn't really all that heavy... Now, with the orange 4x12... that is one heavy fucker. :lol:

')