New 2x12. Orange, Engl or Mesa?

• Thread starter SSK0909
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brian D

Reaction score
ENGL 2x12's are sort of garbage.

When it comes to a nice 2x12, for me, Mesa and Orange are the be-all-end-all of 2x12s. Whichever one you can find for cheaper, you will be very pleased.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masc0t

Reaction score
I know this isn't an option, but Avatar Contemporary 2x12. Pretty much exactly the Orange 2x12 but offers tons of customization. But since you're in Europe the shipping would probably kill the deal, so Orange all the way. But for others in the US, these things are awesome; I couldn't be happier with mine.

wespaul

Octaves of Manhattan
Reaction score
It seems that nobody is suggesting the Engl 2x12, and even one guy is saying that they're garbage. Are they really that bad? What problems are people finding with them? I've recently found myself in the OP's position - I'm getting an Engl Fireball 100 this week and I'm searching for a nice 2x12 to get with it and I was considering either an Engl or Mesa 2x12 (I have zero experience with Orange, so I wouldn't know to even consider them).

Reaction score
If I were getting a 2x12, I would probably get something a little oversized.

Bogner and Avatar make a nice oversized 2x12 cab.

The Orange would probably have the best resale value out of all of them though.

rjnix_0329

Reaction score
My close-backed Orange sounds fantastic. I can't imagine buying anything else! I'm a pretty big guy, but I own the 2x12 and I have no trouble getting it in and out! My 4x12 Behringer, on the other hand...

SSK0909

Reaction score
It seems that nobody is suggesting the Engl 2x12, and even one guy is saying that they're garbage. Are they really that bad? What problems are people finding with them? I've recently found myself in the OP's position - I'm getting an Engl Fireball 100 this week and I'm searching for a nice 2x12 to get with it and I was considering either an Engl or Mesa 2x12 (I have zero experience with Orange, so I wouldn't know to even consider them).

I would like to know as well.

I've just been offered a good trade for an Engl 2x12 pro cab.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
no experience with mesa, but i haved played both the orange and the engl. the engl sounds harsh to me, might have something to do with the metal grill at the front, but the orange sounded much sweeter, warmer and fatter, however, it was not as present as the engl (might also be why it sounded so harsh in the highs). i would go for the orange, awesome cab!

Randomist

Reaction score
I'd go for Orange. Both Orange's and Mesa's cabs are great, but any winner between the two is probably going to be personal preferance. Unless you very strongly prefer a Mesa cab over the Orange, the price difference here pretty much makes Mesa's prohibitive.

And Orange do them in black, too.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Can you try the PRS SE 212? I tried one with my Mesa on the weekend and I dug it :yesway:

EdgeC

Songs in C#
Reaction score
Buy a bigger car? :lol:

But seriously, MESA 212's are great cabs. I would take this over the ENGL and the Orange.

Although i've only heard the Orange in a shop and never actualy used it live or anything.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Tried lots of 2x12 cabs, my favorite is still the Bogner OS (over-sized) 2x12 cabinet. Sounds as big as a 4x12 due to the construction and ports, but it is less heavy and easier to move than a 4x12. I've had 2 of them and only moved them when I needed money, I just bought another one to rebuild my rig! :D Can't say enough good things about the Bogner cabs, I like the Orange stuff too but definitely prefer the Bogner OS 2x12, it's the best 2x12 cab out there IMO. :2c:

SSK0909

Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions, thanks guys :)

Unfortunately, as stated, the selection of 2x12's in my country is VERY limited.

I've been offered to trade my 4x12 Randall cab for a Engl 2x12 pro.

It seems Engl's cabs arent as loved as their amps, but it's kinda tempting since i'm low on cash and can get this one without coughing up with cash.

Any difference between the stand Engl cabs and the pro ones? Engls homepage just states the pro's have fatter midrange. Perhaps theyre not as shrill?

I'm going to be playing through my Diezel VH4 which is a pretty dark amp, so maybe a brighter cab won't be a bad idea?

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
engl pro = v30's the standards are mdf board I believe, as well as having celestion 70/80's I think. go for it.

4Eyes

Reaction score
standards have Celestion V60's which are some kind of cheaper V30 designed for Engl.

I've heard standard 4x12 cab with engl blackmore head and it's sounded realy good. engl pro cabs should be "standard" good cab with V30's on the same level of build and sound quality as mesa, orange and other good cabs. it's just matter of personal preference.

btw for me - I'd rather have engl pro cab than any of their amps. I saw few of them. they look rock solid, but they are not built inside as good as I expect from hi-quality product.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
standards have Celestion V60's which are some kind of cheaper V30 designed for Engl.

I've heard standard 4x12 cab with engl blackmore head and it's sounded realy good. engl pro cabs should be "standard" good cab with V30's on the same level of build and sound quality as mesa, orange and other good cabs. it's just matter of personal preference.

btw for me - I'd rather have engl pro cab than any of their amps. I saw few of them. they look rock solid, but they are not built inside as good as I expect from hi-quality product.

Ahh. I knew something seemed off when I typed in 70/80. either way, their pro cabs seem solid from the one I briefly played through.

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
I own ENGL 2x12 Pro cab with V30 and I A/B`d it with Orange 212 that our second guitarist had.
Amps we used: my ENGL E520 preamp paired with hand made poweramp
Mesa Boogie Dual rectifier (2ch)
Laney VH100R

ENGL had bigger and tighter bottom end with sharper high end. It had more presence and was more directional and more compressed.
Orange had smoother high end and the sound was more airy, looser.

It`s up to personal preference which one you choose. I dig the sound of my cab (sounds great also with Marshall VM). It sounded better to our ears with Dual than Orange (highly praised combination). Neither of them is better than the other one. Orange are very good cabs thou (almost industrial standard) and with Laney it`s a killer combination. :hbang:

What amp it should be paired with?

FearComplex

Reaction score
The Orange is a great 212 cab. Very smooth sounding, tames that v30 mid spike.

')