New 6 string build.

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
After about 2 weeks of stressing and all that shit because I didn't have any woods for a new neck and I was moving houses along with a whole heap of uni assignments due, I've finally got my new woods!
I got this from Australian sources (guitaraust.com.au) they were super awesome with getting me everything on time and the wood is awesome.
I'll be getting some shit done tomorrow, hopefully having the neck finished by next weekend.
Anywho, heres some pics of the new wood. Queensland maple neck, rosewood fingerboard.
IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
Frets slotted, neck drawn up.
I know the little yellow patch might be considered as an imperfection but I love it, so thats why I decided to use that side to slot. What do you guys think of it?

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

I'm currently using my iPhone internet to upload this stuff and I've gone over my cap which means I have to pay a ridiculous amount of money per mB (so far I'm paying about $200) so you won't be hearing more from me until I get my home internet up and running which should be next week which is hopefully around the same time that the project will be finished. So be ready for a pic-heavy post next time.

Purelojik

Reaction score
Frets slotted, neck drawn up.
I know the little yellow patch might be considered as an imperfection but I love it, so thats why I decided to use that side to slot. What do you guys think of it?

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

I'm currently using my iPhone internet to upload this stuff and I've gone over my cap which means I have to pay a ridiculous amount of money per mB (so far I'm paying about $200) so you won't be hearing more from me until I get my home internet up and running which should be next week which is hopefully around the same time that the project will be finished. So be ready for a pic-heavy post next time.

dude that adds such a nice splash of color. lots of character. its why i chose macassar ebony for my build instead of gaboon. i love the streaks of color.

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
Pickups are FINALLY here. I ordered them on the 26th of december.
Czech these out. So shiny!!!
IMG_0578.jpg

Ended up going warpigs because of their awesome bottom end, I think it will go well with the thick maple top along with the neck and it will bring some more of the bottom end slap that walnut tends to have.
Specs of the pickups:
Warpig calibrated set, 4 conductor, short leg, Ceramic bridge, Alnico V neck.
22k measured on the bridge and 17k on the neck.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
it's looking sexier with each update. good job so far. :yesway:

i've recessed a kahler flatmount and it really made the guitar look and feel sleeker.
but i also had to route the neck pocket and pickup cavities about 1/8" deeper to accommodate how much lower the strings were.

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
Progress!
No luck on finishing the neck in time so I've chucked on the old one hoping it'll hold for about 2 weeks (while it gets assessed for my uni assignment)

OIL!
IMG_0586-1.jpg

Neck on/rough positioning of shit!
IMG_0592.jpg

I have until Thursday (Wednesday for you guys in the US) to finish it.

Now its just really a matter of electronics, putting parts on, filing the nut and levelling the frets to be "playable".
I'm not too fussed about the neck/ frets being perfect because it'll be getting ripped out in about 2-3 weeks time anyway.
I'll probably continue the re-necking in this thread rather than making a new one.
There will be another 3-4 coats of tung oil applied between now and Thursday

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
IMG_0598.jpg

This is the final product!
Well, at least for the next few weeks. After that I'll be taking the neck off and putting the new neck in.

Thoughts, Comments, ideas for a next build (probably 7 stringer)?

Munch

Luthier
Reaction score
Man, that is awesome! I still can't believe you did all that stuff by hand. I am majorly impressed. Maybe someday I'll try that myself for fun, we'll see if I have the patience...

cosmitron

Reaction score
IMG_0598.jpg

This is the final product!
Well, at least for the next few weeks. After that I'll be taking the neck off and putting the new neck in.

Thoughts, Comments, ideas for a next build (probably 7 stringer)?
If I had the chance to be you, I would build myself some Eclipse meets Les Paul 7 Strings Blacktop or tobacco plaintop with a nice pair of reliced nickel covered BKPs. (as this is/was? a project I want to order from my favorite luthier)

')