New album out soon! Pre-Orders ready to boot!

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
That's a valid point indeed buddy! How many songs would have made you feel more confident in the quality of the album?

Or would you want to stream the whole album first?

Well it wouldn't really matter honestly because there's no benefit to the preorder I can see. Why wouldn't I just wait until you've released it, give it a listen, then if I like it buy it? Only reason I do a preorder is so that, for example, I can have the CD delivered the day of release and I don't have to go to the store or wait a few more days. Or, if there's a price difference or some extra inclusion for preorder purchasers. Preorders are usually for products/things with a current fanbase anxiously awaiting the new item.

Just curious... why are you concerned about preorders anyhow?

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Humidfume

Reaction score
Well it wouldn't really matter honestly because there's no benefit to the preorder I can see. Why wouldn't I just wait until you've released it, give it a listen, then if I like it buy it? Only reason I do a preorder is so that, for example, I can have the CD delivered the day of release and I don't have to go to the store or wait a few more days. Or, if there's a price difference or some extra inclusion for preorder purchasers. Preorders are usually for products/things with a current fanbase anxiously awaiting the new item.

Just curious... why are you concerned about preorders anyhow?

Rev.

All valid points Rev, thanks for your time! The pre-order stage is primarily so that we can generate reviews and sales for the build up. If we released it right now it would be a bit anticlimatic considering we've worked on it for so long.

It's also the aspect of giving us some breathing room incase we choose to change anything before release (mix wise or whatnot).

I'm not concerned on the whole for pre-orders just excited and pushing my music out there with enthusiasm. Music and photography are my main source of income so it's a big deal for me to sell myself and my work :D.

Once again thanks for taking the time and raising some valuable inforation for me. Greatly appreciated buddy!

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
All valid points Rev, thanks for your time! The pre-order stage is primarily so that we can generate reviews and sales for the build up. If we released it right now it would be a bit anticlimatic considering we've worked on it for so long.

Its like you still believe its 1996 and CDs are flying off the shelves... Generate your audience. Give everything away. Stream it. Promote it. Remix it. Play it live. If you are good enough, the fans will generate enough traction for you to make some bank.

beneharris

Reaction score
If we released it right now it would be a bit anticlimatic considering we've worked on it for so long.

It's also the aspect of giving us some breathing room incase we choose to change anything before release (mix wise or whatnot).

well that doesn't make much sense. It would be anticlimactic to release it? And possibly you would change things about it? Why not just wait until you're happy with it, release a stream, and then just let people buy it?

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Its like you still believe its 1996 and CDs are flying off the shelves...

As blunt and harsh as this might sound ArtDecade is absolutely right. Things are baaaaad these days!!! It took almost 7 years to get my electronic industrial bands second album out (due to major work schedule conflicts between me and my singer) and we've made literally $100 of it so far. I just checked your Facebook page and see you only have 273 likes, that is a very very small amount. I've got a very very small amount too, like 557 or so. So if money/sales are important to you I think you'll be in for a sad surprise. Just telling you the truth, not trying to get you down. You still may go far with your music, just saying it's going to be a looong and hard (giggity) battle.

Even seems these days giving music away for free is hard. It's like no matter how much noise you make it's just so incredibly difficult to get someone to the point of actually even giving one's material a listen. <click the SoundCloud link in my signature!!! HINT HINT!!!> :lol:

Rev.

Humidfume

Reaction score
Quantity of numbers means very little when compared to the quality. 100,000 FB likes where one person buys your album is still only one person buying your album.

It looks more impressive but accounts for jack .... in your bank account.

I may have a small number of fans, but they are dedicated and awesome, I already have pre-orders etc. I'm posting here to see if anyone else likes what I do and would like to follow / support me.

I've done a pre-order phase for the old school fun aspect and the fans I currently have seem excited about it, which is great! I'm excited to bring new music out and I think it's fun to have a release date for people who do care to share the build with.

I'm not out of touch with how the music industry works I put together 2 UK tours off my own back flying in a band member from Finland etc. My old band Karhu has 6 times the amount of likes on FB, but it never accounted to anything financially. Because the band split before we could turn it around.

I'm just posting here to share excitement and gain followers / support. If people want to be negative about my approach to doing that, be my guest, it doesn't reflect on me.

I'm just sad that there's always a few who love to stand on the sideline and point fingers screaming "hahaha you're doing it wrong". Most of my fans are older generation (40's+) so they appreciate the old school approach that they remember from back in the day.

But alas, thanks for your feedback, I may not agree with you all but it's valuable information regardless.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I'm just sad that there's always a few who love to stand on the sideline and point fingers screaming "hahaha you're doing it wrong". Most of my fans are older generation (40's+) so they appreciate the old school approach that they remember from back in the day.

But alas, thanks for your feedback, I may not agree with you all but it's valuable information regardless.

As someone 40+... you are doing it wrong. :lol:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm... I'm 41. Outside of a few posts I don't think there's been too much negativity, just people pointing out that you have a flawed approach and could do things differently. One thing I can say, I have never heard of you and don't even recognize your name on here. If I were you I would've spent a little more time posting on here and sharing clips of work in progress to build your name and familiarity. Then when you went to release more people here would know you and your music. But instead we have a pre-order thread. That's fine man, I'll still check out your stuff when it's released but I don't think there's anything wrong with some constructive criticism. Oh, one more point I'd like to make, when checking out your band camp page I see you had a prior ep. You should've posted that in your first post as well so we could've heard more of your stuff than just the one new track. Little things bro, little things like that.

Rev.

Humidfume

Reaction score
Hmm... I'm 41. Outside of a few posts I don't think there's been too much negativity, just people pointing out that you have a flawed approach and could do things differently. One thing I can say, I have never heard of you and don't even recognize your name on here. If I were you I would've spent a little more time posting on here and sharing clips of work in progress to build your name and familiarity. Then when you went to release more people here would know you and your music. But instead we have a pre-order thread. That's fine man, I'll still check out your stuff when it's released but I don't think there's anything wrong with some constructive criticism. Oh, one more point I'd like to make, when checking out your band camp page I see you had a prior ep. You should've posted that in your first post as well so we could've heard more of your stuff than just the one new track. Little things bro, little things like that.

Rev.

Hey man, like I said I've been a part of the forum for a long time my last name was "SilverEvolver" I posted here a LOT, including DI's for my entire album with Karhu etc. I changed my name over to match my sound company and my posts got taken too. I can take criticism and I appreciate it. Though I've been down the route of touring, multiple UK tours in fact, I've been down the route of magazine, radio, etc etc etc and it does bring money in eventually, but it costs a LOT to start up.

I'm multiple thousands in debt from my last band which all left me to pay it off. The first tour we did was a 3 grand loss and the 2nd we broke even with a HUGE turn around because people knew who we were the 2nd time.

If we could have made a 3rd tour before the band broke I know we'd have made some serious waves, but it just wasn't to be. I'm one guy in my bedroom making albums by myself and occassionally inviting friends to come and record other parts for fresh input / fun etc. It's just not feasible for me to tour, I have no band, no money etc. So far all I see suggested was to tour and give everything away for free.. I've been down that route and it gets you nowhere most of the time.

Why should I give my stuff away for free? I've spent years of my life honing my craft, the better part of a year making something to share with people, I don't see why I should give it away as suggested etc? I'm not meaning to come across negatively so appologies if it seems as such! Just a habit of the internet and the way I type can seem pretty aggressive hahaha I don't mean it that way at all though!

ghost_of_karelia

Utrydd dei Svake
Reaction score
That's because only one song is available for streaming at present :D and yeah £7. It's still taken me 8 months of my life to make it / create it, endless hours of learning and honing my craft.

I've had fans pay much more than that for both this release and previous. If the quality of the music doesn't sell it for you then that's cool :D

I've been on the forums a long time, (5+ years) and pretty active until a year ago. So I didn't think I'd need to reintroduce myself but if required I certainly can haha! :D

If I can help sway you into a purchase by opening up another track to check out then I'm sure I can bend the rules ;)

Hope you liked the track regardless buddy!!!

Keep rockin'!
-JP

Implying that all of the other thousands of musicians on this site do not put time into honing their craft. We're all here because we've spent loads of time getting good enough at this to realise our polished creative visions.

That said, if you're doing this for the money, you're in the wrong business. In my view it should be about making music you absolutely love, then releasing it so that other people can hear it. Not so you can make quik dolluh. That should be a side effect.

Aside from that, nothing to add to the posters above. Grow your audience and create yourself a steady fanbase and reputation before you start charging and pre-ordering.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
So far all I see suggested was to tour and give everything away for free..

Literally *one* person said give it away for free. And no I don't agree with that sentiment at all. I do recognize your old name btw. Point was it's been a year under this new name and you could've used the time to get people on here interested. Someone else also pointed out you didn't even put the band name in the thread title. It only got to this point with me posting some criticism since you asked what our excuse was for not pre-ordering. Anyhow, I won't derail any further. My apologies. I'll check it out once it's live and report back.

Rev.

Humidfume

Reaction score
Implying that all of the other thousands of musicians on this site do not put time into honing their craft.

In my view it should be about making music you absolutely love.

First point is a classic internet / text conversion. I'm not even close to implying that at all. Not even close. I can only appologise if what I wrote was taken that way, but that's the danger with writing on the internet, it's basically impossible to get a point across in the intended way because you're at the mercy of the other person reading it.

Second point, I totally agree, this album has been made out of that passion for music.

Literally *one* person said give it away for free.

Point was it's been a year under this new name and you could've used the time to get people on here interested.

Someone else also pointed out you didn't even put the band name in the thread title. It only got to this point with me posting some criticism since you asked what our excuse was for not pre-ordering.
Rev.

That's true indeed, though I didn't notice any other solutions? Might have just misread though.

Second point, you're absolutely correct, I should have done that. I've had a really rough, negative year full of debt, losing my personal belongings and other things. It didn't cross my mind to think about promoting the album before it was ready, it was something I should have done in order to come across more acceptably. I can only appologise if I've come off as an ass here, never my intention, I just want to write some cool music and share it with people to make a living. The full album will be up on YouTube and Bandcamp for streaming really soon so people will be able to hear it and decide if it's for them or not.

Last point, that's a VERY valid point about the thread, the truth here is that it's a project of mine and not a band etc so it doesn't even have a name. It seemed a little conceited to write "The Joseph Parry Project" etc as in truth I'm not a fan of the name I just use it as a hub for all of my music to stem from. It's a valid point that I should think about in future for sure, and with regards to criticism please don't appologise, I posted here because I wanted people's thoughts and feelings on what I've created and today has been a valuable source of information.

To be clear though the pre-order comment was a joke, it obviously didn't come off that way so again I can only appologise if it came off as preaching, I did put an emoticon to try and make it obvious though :D

Sounds pretty good. Have you tried doing some promotion for it? (blogs, websites, etc)

I'm pretty new to the online world today as I've been away for a year or so, do you have any cool places to recommend? I'd love to get the album out there to more people! Thanks!

Thanks for your time everyone, I genuinely appreciate it. I'm 24, I know next to nothing in the world, your feedback and thoughts on my work and how I go about sharing it is valuable to me. Please don't take my text negatively or douchey, that's not what I'm trying to convey. I'm open minded, chilled and passionate. Read my writing that way and hopefully the points come across clearer and less prone to internet rage haha :D

Thanks guys!

-JP

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the online world today as I've been away for a year or so, do you have any cool places to recommend? I'd love to get the album out there to more people! Thanks!

Well, for my album this year I used the services of a PR company (Dewar PR) for the promotion of my album. It costs a few hundred bucks so it's certainly not for everyone, but I can't say I'm not satisfied with the results!

If not, you can go out for yourself finding out metal blogs and websites and emailing them yourself, but from my experience you'll be ignored 99.9% of the time, while the PR company has some sort of status in the eyes of the blogs and websites.

Humidfume

Reaction score
Well, for my album this year I used the services of a PR company (Dewar PR) for the promotion of my album. It costs a few hundred bucks so it's certainly not for everyone, but I can't say I'm not satisfied with the results!

If not, you can go out for yourself finding out metal blogs and websites and emailing them yourself, but from my experience you'll be ignored 99.9% of the time, while the PR company has some sort of status in the eyes of the blogs and websites.

That would be out of budget this time around for sure, did you make that money back? And yeah when we promoted my last band we had the same feeling (being ignored).

Cheers buddy!!!

')