New album out soon! Pre-Orders ready to boot!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Humidfume

Reaction score
Like is not quite the statement I'd make, it would be more to the effect of Really Phucking Like! I just listened to several tracks off of Faithless and the compositions are fantastic, they have texture (Magoove) it's musical and bone grinding with flow (10)

I'll support.

:deathm:

Wow, .... cakes!!! Thank you so much brother!!!!

Seybsnilksz

Reaction score
The 18x22" Tama Starclassic Quilted Sapele Bubinga? I must have the settings! I Made the Ludwig Stainless Steel sound pretty similar, but yours has this airy punchiness to the attack that's hard to describe.

Humidfume

Reaction score
The 18x22" Tama Starclassic Quilted Sapele Bubinga? I must have the settings! I Made the Ludwig Stainless Steel sound pretty similar, but yours has this airy punchiness to the attack that's hard to describe.

That's the one, just seriously, EQ and compression that's it. cut a touch at 150, boost a lot at 50/60 then compress afterwards by about 6db.

That's it.

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
I dig it!
Had my head banging at 1:37 on Severance. Pretty sick groove right there.

Seybsnilksz

Reaction score
That's the one, just seriously, EQ and compression that's it. cut a touch at 150, boost a lot at 50/60 then compress afterwards by about 6db.

That's it.

Sorry if I'm bothering you too much, but could you post a picture of the settings? Is it EZDrummer or Superior?

Humidfume

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm bothering you too much, but could you post a picture of the settings? Is it EZDrummer or Superior?

Settings won't help you because every single song is different. I told you what to do man :D (Superior 2)

Just EQ out some 150, boost some 50 / 60 and then compress it with roughly:

Attack: 30, Release: 15, Gain Reduction 6 - 10db, that's it. No magic tricks, just EQ and compression!

I'm not against posting screenshots, I'm just pretty busy right now writing another album etc.

Seybsnilksz

Reaction score
Settings won't help you because every single song is different. I told you what to do man :D (Superior 2)

Just EQ out some 150, boost some 50 / 60 and then compress it with roughly:

Attack: 30, Release: 15, Gain Reduction 6 - 10db, that's it. No magic tricks, just EQ and compression!

I'm not against posting screenshots, I'm just pretty busy right now writing another album etc.

Yes, every song is different, but a good kick drum is always a good kick drum. How did you blend the mics? And are you shure you didn't boost any high end?

Humidfume

Reaction score
Yes, every song is different, but a good kick drum is always a good kick drum. How did you blend the mics? And are you shure you didn't boost any high end?

Blend the mics? I didn't touch any of that stuff man, it's all at default. With regards to highs I might have boosted 8KHz or something, there's not too much high in the kick at all to be honest.

Reaction score
did you make that money back?

2508061-2637968900-32215.jpg

As underground musicians, don't ever expect to make your money back.

Humidfume

Reaction score
2508061-2637968900-32215.jpg

As underground musicians, don't ever expect to make your money back.

Then why spend the money? Basic business is do everything you can to keep costs down. A business won't survive if more goes out than goes in. I've made my own photos, album, mix, master, website, logos etc, done EVERYTHING for nothing but my time.

There's no chance I'd pay someone £250 or whatever to promote my work if there was no financial benefit from doing that. What are they doing for you that you can't do yourself?

I completely disagree with never expecting to get your money back. I just made this album for free (other than time) and have already got more back than it cost me to make it.

Choosing to accept the ideaology of "No one knows me therefore I'll never make my money back" makes no sense to me. If you're touring, definitely understand that, fuel costs money. But even then you should be doing shows where you get paid or have merch to start scraping money back.

ANY business will fail if you have more out than going in, obviously.

Point is, being a non touring studio musician other than the initial outlay of gear (which I would have bought regardless of career choice because I love creating music).

It costs you nothing but time. You can get into the aspect of £/ph if you like and in reality you earn a stupidly low amount, but it still costs you nothing. Something in (regardless of how small) is still better than lots out.

Just different thought process's. Both are valid based on experience.

Reaction score
Then why spend the money? Basic business is do everything you can to keep costs down. A business won't survive if more goes out than goes in. I've made my own photos, album, mix, master, website, logos etc, done EVERYTHING for nothing but my time.

There's no chance I'd pay someone £250 or whatever to promote my work if there was no financial benefit from doing that. What are they doing for you that you can't do yourself?

I completely disagree with never expecting to get your money back. I just made this album for free (other than time) and have already got more back than it cost me to make it.

Choosing to accept the ideaology of "No one knows me therefore I'll never make my money back" makes no sense to me. If you're touring, definitely understand that, fuel costs money. But even then you should be doing shows where you get paid or have merch to start scraping money back.

ANY business will fail if you have more out than going in, obviously.

Point is, being a non touring studio musician other than the initial outlay of gear (which I would have bought regardless of career choice because I love creating music).

It costs you nothing but time. You can get into the aspect of £/ph if you like and in reality you earn a stupidly low amount, but it still costs you nothing. Something in (regardless of how small) is still better than lots out.

Just different thought process's. Both are valid based on experience.

If you see it as your business, fine. But I see it as my hobby, my passion, and I'm willing to spend money in this because I love to make music. If I made music with the goal of making money back in mind, I'd make very different music. What I do, I do for myself.

Humidfume

Reaction score
If you see it as your business, fine. But I see it as my hobby, my passion, and I'm willing to spend money in this because I love to make music. If I made music with the goal of making money back in mind, I'd make very different music. What I do, I do for myself.

I think Meshuggah, Devin Townsend, Arch Enemy, Lamb of God, Pantera etc have all made music they love, for themselves. Yet they still treat it as a business..

Working for yourself is better than working a 9-5 in a shop imo.

I find the idealogy of "I write music for passion and if I try to make money out of it it somehow means I'm less passionate about it" just a completely different train fo thought to me. I'm not saying that is the mentality you have, as reading text online is so hard to convey a clear message.

So I won't assume. With maximum respect, I just see it as: I write music that I love, for myself, and I think that other people may like it enough to support me to continue to do so.

So I promote myself in order to allow people to know I exist so the option to support me is there.

I make decisions financially based on in vs out so that I can write off time and have the only expense as a free one if possible. (I say write off time because time won't stop, regardless of if I'm scratching my ass or recording music).

To be clear, NONE of this is supposed to come of as condescending or "holier than thou" etc, just my thoughts on it, I find discussions can turn real ugly with opposing views online due to lack of clarity in communication.

Cheers man!
-JP

')