New amp advice, Downsizing for uni

• Thread starter Dhare46
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dhare46

Reaction score
Hey guys

Sorry about the poor title but i really couldn't think of a thread name.

Basically i'm going to university in 4 months and my current amp, a marshall valvestave v 100 is much to big for me to transport there and store in my accommodation.

I mainly play metal ranging from dream theater to amon amarth, so i'm using it as a good chance to buy an amp that suits this style better than the marshall. But it also needs to be small enough to take to uni with me.

I've never really looked into replacing my amp before so my knowledge of amps is woefull, i have looked at peavey vypy 15 and 30.

Any suggestions would be really helpfull

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

casketshrine

Reaction score
I would recommend checking out the following:

Blackstar HT-1R - £155

Bugera 6260 212 - £251 (this is a 120 watts combo, if you decide to gig this will be of great help)
Blackstar HT-5C - £310-315 (Even though its 5 watts but it will still be way louder than those 15-30watt solid state/digital combos)

Hope this helps. This will be better than going with those digital/solid state amps, IMO.

EDIT: I understand from many posts I've come across the interwebs, Bugera amps aren't exactly famous for durability but at the same time I've heard their quality control has gotten much better than before. Do a bit of research before you go for any of the amps.

Dhare46

Reaction score
I would recommend checking out the following:

Blackstar HT-1R - £155

Bugera 6260 212 - £251 (this is a 120 watts combo, if you decide to gig this will be of great help)
Blackstar HT-5C - £310-315 (Even though its 5 watts but it will still be way louder than those 15-30watt solid state/digital combos)

Hope this helps. This will be better than going with those digital/solid state amps, IMO.

EDIT: I understand from many posts I've come across the interwebs, Bugera amps aren't exactly famous for durability but at the same time I've heard their quality control has gotten much better than before. Do a bit of research before you go for any of the amps.

Whatever i eventually decide to buy i'll research it and read as many reviews as possible, its just finding where to start :p

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I'd probably look into getting a Pod. You'll have lots of amps and effects to play with, it sounds good through headphones, and, if you decide to jam with some dudes, you can run it through the PA, which is a way better solution than trying to keep up with a drummer with one of the tiny amps mentioned above. If you're really concerned about having others hear you in your dorm room or whatever, get a decent set of computer speakers to go with it. Go used and you'll be well within your budget.

Dhare46

Reaction score
I'd probably look into getting a Pod. You'll have lots of amps and effects to play with, it sounds good through headphones, and, if you decide to jam with some dudes, you can run it through the PA, which is a way better solution than trying to keep up with a drummer with one of the tiny amps mentioned above. If you're really concerned about having others hear you in your dorm room or whatever, get a decent set of computer speakers to go with it. Go used and you'll be well within your budget.

Would a Pod be better than say a 30W amp still, i'll have a look into them

Surely that then relies on the place i'm jamming or playing having a PA system

Dhare46

Reaction score
Although it looks like i'm being a bit optimistic at trying to get a 30w tube amp for £300

Lrrrr

Reaction score
I would definitely look into a Pod, as somebody above has mentioned. Especially if you're going to be living in dorms, apartments, or a small house (it was always pretty cramped in my four years :p).

I actually moved my halfstack into my dorm room in my first year because my Spider 212 crapped out on me. That experiment didn't go over so well.

Since then I have sold my halfstack and repaired/given away my Spider. The only rig I use now is a Pod through my interface and MR5 monitors. Needless to say, it is much more compact than an amp. It's much more versatile. Not only do I have a killer practice rig, but I have an awesome sounding home theatre setup and recording solution, all for the price of a tube practice amp. Personally, I dig the Pod more than I dig an amp for wankery purposes, the variety and thickness of tones is much more than you can achieve on a budget with typical analog gear. I also have no problem jamming with friends, just no drummers (again, as the above has stated, drummers will also be a problem for smaller 15w amps also).

You can pick up a pod xt and a set of av40s on your budget. If you can manage, I would work hard this summer to save for a decent set of monitors (bigger would be better for this situation) and a pod hd. Go digital, you won't be sorry!

Also, another option is to just buy a usb interface. A friend of mine sold everything since he's no longer with a band and has gotten incredible results almost exclusively with freeware. He plays through an echo audio into reaper, using LePou plugins and various impulses and software effects. To my ears its better than a low end solidstate. Once you get past the hurdles of setting up for the first time it really isn't very inconvenient to plug and play either, plus you have a decent recording rig!

Good luck man!

Shask

Reaction score
I also agree with the POD/headphones idea.

Dorm rooms are VERY touchy. I had a 212 cab and a SS amp, but I was in a party hall, lol. A friend of mine had a little 10W. Crate amp and they made him remove it because it was too loud on 1. My second year I just played rack units through a stereo (pre-Line 6 days, lol).

Most dorm rooms are NOT going to be instrument friendly, and you could get in trouble for anything louder than talking volume. Not to mention your roomate, and your neighbors. If any of them complain...... Also, random people coming in and out, you don't want anything expensive laying around.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'd go for the Pod. I'd expect most places to have a PA, though just jamming with folks could be hard unless you have some monitors.

That said, loud amps can come in handy at the dorms. I used to play only in the middle of the day and reasonable volumes and didn't get complaints. I had a neighbor that would blast loud dance music in the middle of the night. It'd be one thing if it was for parties, but it'd just be two or three dudes in there hanging out. After asking them to turn it down for a few weeks, it turned out my Mesa Boogie could get much louder. They became much more reasonable after that.

')