New amp! Marshall 6100lm - Satcherrific!

Grievous

Reaction score
After considerable searching for a good deal on a new (used) amp, I found this - a Marshall 6100lm head for $1400Aud - and thought I'd share some pics!

IMG_6451.jpg

After playing for a few days at different volume levels and settings, I reckon this is the most versatile amp I've ever played - while still retaining that plug in and go feeling of vintage gear.

Crystal clear warm clean channel, 4 classic crunch modes, and a super high gain lead channel. Switches from 100 watts down to 50 and 25 so you can really crank it. Boosted, the lead channel totally slays :shred:, doesnt sound like a marshall at all, sounds epic with the 7 string. Crunch channels are where the marshall tone is at. Uses 5881's, a version of 6l6s, probably why the lead channel is so different from other marshalls.

My favourite thing ever:
IMG_6450.jpg

Low volume compensation switch! :hbang:
So there you go...for anyone interested in a pretty unique amp!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grievous

Reaction score
Cheers! I love it! Strange the pics show up in the preview?:scratch: meh it looks like a big marshall...

Best part of it is the tone of the lead channel...just the thickest, sweetest lead tone I've ever had.

The seven string sounds awesome too...although it gets a little woolly on the low b unless i use the contour control. Can get from old school thrash to mesa-ish with this switch.

IMG_6449.jpg

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
Yup, I've got the combo-version, the 6101. I got the original model in blue tolex and with the custom-made Celestion Gold speaker and EL34 tubes.

Indeed, quite possibly the best amp ever made. The low volume compensation is pure genius. The thing works great for practice at home, for recording, and for rehearsals/gigs.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
That's awesome dude. The more i hear about Marshall heads, the more im inclined to think i was wrong to hate on them so much :lol: We need some clips if you can make some :yesway:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ If it was, i just got GAS for it :metal: Im not that big a fan of Carcass, but i do love ther guitar tone... so thick...

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
They used a few amps off Heartwork (6100, 5150+Guv'nor pedal, & some solid state marshall?) if I remember right. Plus, their engineer had a lot to do with eq'ing the guitars in the mix. But still, I'd love to own a 6100!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
congrats - thems nice rigs :)

Grievous

Reaction score
Yep, VERY easy to get a heartwork tone from this thing. I'm running a ts-9 as a boost and with the gain boost switch on, I have to roll waaaay back on the amp gain or its just over the top. I prefer both boost and mid contour off, less brutalz but more melodic and clear to me, especially for leads.

I'm starting to believe the guy I bought it off saying he only turned it on a couple of times over the last ten years....the tubes look like they may be originals?:scratch: It desperately needs a retube...I'm picking up a faint crackle and volume swell occasionally. Hope 5881s arent too hard to get here...I'd prefer to stick with them for a while before trying 6L6s.

Scali, have you tried different speakers with your combo? What are the celestion golds like? Im running through a 2x12 with cele 70/80s - they arent that great but they seem quite neutral and have great clarity...just no character really...

I use my pod for recording, but ill see if i can record some clips...ugh mics...

')