New Amp Model from Rhodes Amps

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
Decisions decisions.. Hmmm.. Gemini orthos.. Orthos gemini.. Collosus.. No .overkill.. Gemini ? Orthos ?? I still have a few months before I make my choice but its sure going to be tough

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
Was talking to Kyle and he answered some questions for me and I might as well pass it on here. I'm 100% getting one as my next amp.

Kyle Rhodes said:
No, it is not possible to get 150W with this (or any of our amps) currently. This would require more custom iron, as well as a custom chassis and power tube board to handle the fusing and fault indicators. Plus, space is already quite tight in the small chassis. :)

You can however load with KT88, which would get you around 130-140 Wrms with a quad. You can special order with KT88, the cost would just be the difference for a quad of KT88s vs. the standard 6L6GCs we use stock.

It is not possible to mix tube types since we only have a single bias pot. However, you could mix tube types if they are able to be matched in the same operating range. I know Eurotubes offers some mixed quads like this, might be something to try...

The Orthos FS is simply a custom built 2-button box. It has the same functionality as any standard Marshall 2-button FS with a 1/4" TRS plug. Essentially, you're selecting the Channel and Master via the FS.

It sounds simple, but since there are Bright/Loop on Clean and Bright/Voice/Loop on Lead assignment switches for each Master (1 or 2), then you can dial up 4 custom sounds quite easily. The whole point is to have easy access to a couple of clean tones as well as a high-gain rhythm and solo tone.

There are additional 1/4" jacks for contact closure inputs, and these will work with a standard FS, but their intention is for use with an external contact closure box, if one should have the need.

Essentially, if one desires a bunch more control, or additional gain modes / fat responses / voices, we simply recommend they purchase the Gemini as that's what it's designed for -- and it's only $500 more. :)

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
Thanks for that .. Just as I suspected though. You can't run 6l6s n kt88s together.. And yeah, I am pretty sure I am ordering a Rhodes this year too :)

protest

Reaction score
So the Orthos is essentially like a 4 channel amp with shared eq's for the two clean and two OD channels?

Also, he says its $500 less than the Gemini, what does the Gemini run?

Alcoholocaust

Reaction score
From what i understand the Gemini has extra modes and voicing which is all programmable by midi. The Orthos doesn't have the programmable midi (comes with a 2 button footswitch)

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
So the Orthos is essentially like a 4 channel amp with shared eq's for the two clean and two OD channels?

Also, he says its $500 less than the Gemini, what does the Gemini run?
That's basically the idea. But since each master has the ability to have the loop on or off for it you can run channel 2 as such: Master 1 set for a rhythm tone and loop off, Master 2 set for lead tone with loop on which I would active a delay and eq pedal.

Channel 1 could be set as well as the first master being 100% clean and dry and master 2 could be set for 100% clean and wet with delays/modulation/whatever you want.

The two master volumes is sweet as well since you can set one master louder to act as a volume boost.

Also he seems to not want the prices to be public so just shoot him an email. Kyle is awesome and the prices on them are as well :metal:

From what i understand the Gemini has extra modes and voicing which is all programmable by midi. The Orthos doesn't have the programmable midi (comes with a 2 button footswitch)
Yea the Gemini is midi while the Orthos is a more traditional setup. The Orthos doesn't have the Andy Wood gain modes or fat switches but the lead channel is built as if it has a fat switch on.

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
Is it just the fat voices/ Andy Wood mode Thats missing on the Orthos ? Gemini seems to have a lot more options ..

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
Is it just the fat voices/ Andy Wood mode Thats missing on the Orthos ? Gemini seems to have a lot more options ..
The Orthos doesn't have the two Andy Wood gain modes and it doesn't have a fat switch but the Lead channel is designed as if the Fat switch is on. The other major thing it doesn't have is midi. Those features will cost you $500 more if you go with the Gemini.

Here is the description of the lead and the Fat switch on.
Kyle Rhodes said:
The Lead channel sound is technically fixed to Colossus Mode On and Fat On. This is one of our most popular high-gain tones, and it made sense to build a stripped-down amp around it. This sound is great for metal and rock alike, depending on the overall Gain and Bright settings.

I would reccomend checking out his site which I got that info from: Orthos 100/50

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Shoot, I don't know wtf I was reading where the power tubes could be mixed :wallbash:. That would have been an instant sale. Now I need more thinking time, well need more sound examples!

I've been debating which amp to try running all KT88s anyways, so not having the mixed quad is fine. I just really liked what the Thrasher and Satan offer, and I may still try one especially if a used one comes up pretty cheap (should be a while since they are brand spanking new). I'm also on the lookout for a Meteoro MAK 3000. I passed on one 4 years ago and it was the biggest mistake ever. Why? $900 and in excellent shape, running all JJ KT88s. The 280 watts was scaring me, and I had GAS for a guitar I don't even own anymore. :wallbash::wallbash::noplease::nuts:
Now you can't freaking find those amps anymore without a custom order, well not for $900! It was the darkest, clearest, most intimidating amp I've ever played through. The Colossus is the only amp that seems to be able to voice similarly (without the continental drift enducing 280 watts).

Must hear more of the Orthos. It's pretty clearly a phenominal deal, and it's a Rhodes.

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
^^Agreed. Definitely need some quality samples of the Orthos. Surprisingly, just a couple of videos from Namm this year. There were a lot of Rhodes amps videos from Namm 2013.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
is it just me, or the guitar wasn't set up properly? that high note on the highest string when guy was playing on clean around 12 fret. it appeared twice, sounds to me like neck pickup is too high, or strings are too low, poor fretwork, truss rod not set well or combination of all.

Nothing more than high string getting hung up on the neck pup. The very same reason why Vai has his taped (Dime had it too):
steve-vai-evo-guitar-460-100-460-70.jpg

:wavey:

')