New amp purchase opinions please!

• Thread starter glytch5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call or chat with Musician’s Friend and they’ll usually work with you if there aren’t any codes that are working.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I also have to say 5153. They really are nice sounding amps. You can spend a whole lot more on other amps, but they just sound different not necessarily better than the good old 5153.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
@glytch5

It seems to me you’re really gassing for the DSL. It may be worth a 1-2 hour drive to a different shop if it lets you try one out.

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
Duuuuude, that is AWESOME! I understand what you were saying now.... this video is spot on man. So I could really use this with my dark terror as well? Even if its distorted because its going to bypass the saturated pre amp of the DT right? The DT has no channel... so I could essentially still switch out of distortion?
Thank you very very much man.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Yeah man you could do that. Would work well.

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
Nice amp by the way ; )
How long have you had that thing? any issues with it?

I though it was cool how the cam lens would wave with the chords haha

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
Nice amp by the way ; )
How long have you had that thing? any issues with it?

I though it was cool how the cam lens would wave with the chords haha

Haha. Thanks man. I guess I’ve had it about a year. It had some volume drop issues when I first got it so I took it to a local repair shop and though they said they didn’t see anything wrong, I haven’t had any issues since. I honestly only bought it because I wanted to compare the Invective to the amp that inspired it. The 5150, as good as it is, is going on the sale block soon.

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
gotcha... well thanks again for everything.
I am thinking about taking my 6505 chassis to someone to figure out the clean channel issue... I know its not a good clean but there is def something wrong with mine. It sounds as if the power section if fully saturated where you get that super sensitive note definition thing going... but the volume is barely up... and it is not good sound... notes come in all different volumes and chords do this weird swell/lag thing.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
No problem man. Glad to help. Yeah that sounds like maybe something is wrong with it. Hope you get it fixed! The 5150 family is just killer for high gain stuff.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
And when you're ready... there are tons of mods. Jerry at FJAMODs is awesome to work with... also Voodoo Mods.

Ignore if you have already heard this.... The simplest one is changing out the PI preamp tube to a 12AT7 (or 12AU7) to cut down on the amount of gain that slams the power tube section - from 100% to around 70%. That way the gain is more usable all the way to 10. You can literally use the amp like a Fender Reverb and put everything on 10 (you def cant do this before) or you can put the gain at 5 and you get a very open, articulate, less fizzy rhythm dirt that sounds more like a VHT UL than a 5150. I've been rocking this trick since the late 90s when a friend that worked in the Meridian shop taught it to me and I don't get why Peavey doesnt manufacture it this way... or at least make a 5150DM (death metal!!!) version lol. $$$

trem licking

Reaction score
5150 II is a good choice, I'd say. I love the clean channel on it, not sure why it gets hate. i crank the gain all the way up on the clean channel and it's still clean with a very slight hint of dirt, just the way i like.

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
I got the 5150 iii 6l6 at my doorstep....
Everything from the packaging to the sound is quite amusing. I was entirely impressed by the clean channel/channel switching and all that stuff. The cleans are waaaay better than I thought they would be... they are actually quite usable.
I see what people mean by no need for a boost in front of the dirty channel.... it is almost too much! even with low gain.
The amp is straight up dope... glad I bought it... just need to take off the EVH logo, and build my 6505 112 into a head.... AWESOME. I still like a certain aspect of the peavey lead channel though.... it has a very smooth punch to it, where the EVH is a little more out of control sounding... but in a good way.

Deadpool_25

Reaction score
I got the 5150 iii 6l6 at my doorstep....
Everything from the packaging to the sound is quite amusing. I was entirely impressed by the clean channel/channel switching and all that stuff. The cleans are waaaay better than I thought they would be... they are actually quite usable.
I see what people mean by no need for a boost in front of the dirty channel.... it is almost too much! even with low gain.
The amp is straight up dope... glad I bought it... just need to take off the EVH logo, and build my 6505 112 into a head.... AWESOME. I still like a certain aspect of the peavey lead channel though.... it has a very smooth punch to it, where the EVH is a little more out of control sounding... but in a good way.

Congrats on getting something you really like!

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
I know this post is dead... but its been a while since I got the amp.... I fired it up tonight and it sounded real bad... then I heard that tube warming up sound..
I looked over and to my absolute horror, both power tubes were red plating literally to the point of melt down... there was no plates just red/orange! I turned it off let it cool off. Tried a different speaker cable and different cabinet, same thing the second I turn it on BOOM the tubes go full power...
Something in the bias circuit died giving it zero bias... I am JUST passed 45 days for return to where I got it so now the true test.... EVH customer support!

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
Well... I got the amp fixed at an authorized repair place for Fender. The warranty covered the work 100 percent! Guess what? Played it for about 15 minutes that day... all was good. Played it about 20 minutes tonight and BAM! tubes red plated out of no where... nooooo! at this point I do not even want the amp... whatever is failing has more than likely damaged my output transformer or something else in the amp... I think this falls under manufacturers defect.. I want a new amp... stupid thing HAD to fail just outside of 45 days from purchase form Musiciansfriend... looks like I got a lemon!

Latest posts